Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rohm - Armor concept (now in construction - updated 10/31/2016)

• 20 Replies

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

• A mando 4 life, but I Utinni.
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member EnviroOps
[Start update - 10/22/2016]
Made 2nd (hopefully final) pass on the paper templates for my armor. Pic below shows it placed on the vest/flak. Does anyone (especially from app team) see any issues or concerns? And of course any feedback, questions and comments are welcomed!!

[end update]

[Start update – 10/14/2016]
I had a good deal of new work go into my helmet over the past months. The direction prompted me to revisit my approach for my kit overall. Below are a few pics depicting the color scheme changes.

I took a first round pass at the paper templates to see how the digital concept translate into a physical model. I didn’t have any issues with regards to how it will fit proportionate to my actual, physical dimensions and measurements. Personally… I like the concept even more now that I see it cut out and mocked up.

Adjustments that I am still going to make before I move to cutting out the actual plastics:
Collar plate – extend left and right “tab” that continues up/over the front of my trap. area on either side of my neck. Still being considerate of the fact that I will have shoulder bells to add.

Chest diamond – dimensions need to be tweaked a bit for a little more traditional shape.

Chect plate - split the chest plate into two (per Kris Jasra's observation/suggestion)

Beyond that, the space is about a thumb between all plates. The bottom ab plate sits just at the top of my belly button. Allows room for my girth belt. The total width of the armor will allow for about .75” – 1” of flak vest to show.

Ok. Think that’s it at the moment as I would like to gain further feedback (if any of you would be so kind) to see if there is anything that may not pass AP team or that I should gain their advice on.
Thank you all in advance!!! OYA

[End update – 10/14/2016]

[update start - 05/25/16]

Based on some great feedback and further refinement, I've gone into a reduction strategy. Connected the Chest plate as a single piece, pulled the trauma plates and adjusted the color. I’ve included photos below that show some of the different states and some focused shots to show a little more up close detail.
As long as I don’t see any feedback that flags any major issues that would hinder a preliminary thumbs up from the app team, then I’ll be moving to paper/cardboard for sizing and placement. Hoping I can also get my jumpsuit and vest ordered.

Color on the jumpsuit will be charcoal gray and the vest will be black. Going black on the vest because the contrast against the jumpsuit will add some nice detail and depth I feel. Furthermore, the armor will have a sheen/gloss to the black pieces. So they should standout against the flat black the vest will have since it will be a fabric material. The green seen on my helmet is a better representation of the green I'll be using. Link to my helmet work log in my signature.

The functional aspect to the black armor and black on my helmet being gloss is that it is highly reflective. Thus when I’m crouched down in heavy brush area, the environment will be reflected and help break up distinguishable lines that could make me a target. Besides… if they see me coming, it’s because I want them to see me coming hahah. OYA!

[update end]

[update start - 05/19/16]

made some more progress on the concept. Added in some elelments that express some of the soft parts (girth belt, ammo packs/belt, loing cloth, vest) Layered it in for a better visual to how things fit togehter. I also tighened up the jumpsuit to show it it will more likely fit with my build. Swapped the color placement and went with less but bigger trauma plates.

Also... to Cod or not to Cod. That is my current question. Feedback welcomed as always!!! OYA!

link to larger image:
http://s61.photobucket.com/user/gofettyourselfgofettyourself/media/Armor_Concept_v1.5_zpsdk19mmm4.jpg.html

[update end]

* edited (per current feedback)

Oya all

Concept for the armor is modeled off of the styling and design of my helmet (link to helmet work log in my signature). Style has been assessed as being custom with a touch of DW. (Please give feedback if anyone see’s otherwise. Want to make sure I am categorizing this correctly).
The concept below shows the following (1-5 / from left to right):
  • Flat concepts showing basic shape/style
  • Armor imposed over a flight suit to give some context to size/fitment and coverage. (PLEASE NOTE: the flight suit does NOT reflect the actual suit or the fitment of the suit on me. I just used a stock image. Purely for conceptual reference. So size, fitment may be off)
  • Depth and color added to the flat shapes to show more of the detail
  • Color with optional trauma plates (Gray represents the trauma plate)
  • Back plate and front view of shoulder bells (Gray represents the trauma plate)

Color(s) is based on the helmet:
Gloss Black / Satin or Flat Charcoal / Deep Green

No soft parts are being represented here. I have also left out the gauntlets, which I will post in a different thread when I get to them.

Alright… let’s start there. Lay that feedback and questions on me Vode!!!

-Rohm

Image is below, but if it is too small to see, here is a link as well:
http://s61.photobucket.com/user/gofettyourselfgofettyourself/media/Armor_concept_color_trauma_zpszwhviwnl.jpg.html

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2016, 06:41 PM by Rohm Iy'Kadaysh » Logged

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Rohm - Armor concept (planning & feedback)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:36 PM »
A touch of DW sure I can see that, but that isn't legacy at all it is more akin to Star Wars Galaxy Mando armor than Legacy. What makes legacy, legacy is a solid chest plate and segmented abs. It is custom modern armor not legacy.

With that being said it is an interesting design for sure, and as with many custom design you will want to make sure you keep the App Team looped in as you move forward with your armor.

I think the color scheme is solid green and black always look nice together, and I think while you have a custom design here it doesn't lose mando which is always a good benchmark when making a custom kit.

I am interested to see this come together.

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:18 PM »
A touch of DW sure I can see that, but that isn't legacy at all it is more akin to Star Wars Galaxy Mando armor than Legacy. What makes legacy, legacy is a solid chest plate and segmented abs. It is custom modern armor not legacy.

With that being said it is an interesting design for sure, and as with many custom design you will want to make sure you keep the App Team looped in as you move forward with your armor.

I think the color scheme is solid green and black always look nice together, and I think while you have a custom design here it doesn't lose mando which is always a good benchmark when making a custom kit.

I am interested to see this come together.

Ghosthammer, thank you for the clarification. I think when the comment regarding legacy came up , I did have the neck/chest as a solid piece.

I will definitely get/keep the App team looped in after I get some preliminary feedback here. I figure I will have some edits from this first pass. Yeah, I wanted some originality (custom) but not so  much that someone could look at it and say that it isn't or is too far from mando. So that's good to hear.

All in all, thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

-Rohm

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 03:44 AM »
I have only one concern right now regarding your kit, and it's that someone might take one look at your paint scheme, especially the third set, and think it's a Green Lantern mash-up. Honestly, I think as long as your kit itself doesn't look like a hybrid, you can paint it however you want, as long as it's not a carbon copy of another character or franchise, but it's something you should probably bear in mind and get cleared by an App Team member. Hopefully I'm wrong, cos I like the look of your kit and I don't want to be the person who causes someone to have to change their plan. I just don't want to see you wasting your time or effort.

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 02:44 PM »
I have only one concern right now regarding your kit, and it's that someone might take one look at your paint scheme, especially the third set, and think it's a Green Lantern mash-up. Honestly, I think as long as your kit itself doesn't look like a hybrid, you can paint it however you want, as long as it's not a carbon copy of another character or franchise, but it's something you should probably bear in mind and get cleared by an App Team member. Hopefully I'm wrong, cos I like the look of your kit and I don't want to be the person who causes someone to have to change their plan. I just don't want to see you wasting your time or effort.

Ikaan,

That's a really good observation. I was never a follower or fan of Green Lantern. So much so that has to go look at him to remember what his suit looked like hahaha I see a resemblance if i weren't to include the trauma plates (third from left). Nonetheless, I'm definitely wanting to hear from app team. I've messaged a few already and am just waiting for responses. All in due time. I'll probably also play with the color placement a bit.

Once again, thank you for the feedback and observation.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 05:58 PM »
Ok. Actually, I think you'll be fine. I couldn't originally see that last set because I was on my mobile phone and the screen was dimmed.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 06:06 PM by Ikaan Deema » Logged

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 05:35 PM »
Update bump!! Edit to the original post above. Oya!!!

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 05:43 AM »
Interesting. I'd almost say that you're trying to fit too much into one kit. More is not necessarily better. I much prefer the third image over the fourth. Or if you want to do the fourth, put the chest plates back together. Separating the plates and then trauma plating them is distracting from the main lines of the armour which make it so iconic.

Definitely a heavier version of DW/Galaxy armour and I can't see anything you're missing or that looks out of place.

Love the colour scheme but I'm biased with green, black and grey...

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Interesting. I'd almost say that you're trying to fit too much into one kit. More is not necessarily better. I much prefer the third image over the fourth. Or if you want to do the fourth, put the chest plates back together. Separating the plates and then trauma plating them is distracting from the main lines of the armour which make it so iconic.

Definitely a heavier version of DW/Galaxy armour and I can't see anything you're missing or that looks out of place.

Love the colour scheme but I'm biased with green, black and grey...

I agree the more and more I look at it the busier it gets. My main intention of course was to first see if anything was needing to be flagged as an instant no, or if I was missing anything essential (at this stage and with respect to just the armor). So the feedback is PERFECT to that manner.

I'm going to move into a reduction strategy on the armor and trauma plates I think. Adopt the 'less is more' thought as once again, I agree.

Thank you for the feedback! Oya!

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 04:28 PM »
Update Bump. 1st post modified with description and new pics posted.

Hopefully next step will be paper/cardboard cutout for sizing.
Oya!!!

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Update (more like reviving) Bump. 1st post modified with description and new pics posted.

Been a while due to a life milestone that was requiring 100% of my time and funds. But now that it has passed... Im' full force! Ordering flight suit and plastics this weekend.

Looking for feedback on my paper templates. Another round of paper templates will be done based on feedback and above noted adjustments before I move to plastics.

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2016, 03:52 PM »
Only thing I'd change that you haven't mentioned is to put the vertical split in the chest panels. At the moment you've got the Galaxies styling, but with the chest plates split into two it's lost some of the traditional shape, vertical splitting would add some of that back in.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2016, 07:24 PM »
... with the chest plates split into two it's lost some of the traditional shape, vertical splitting would add some of that back in.

Great observation. It definitely would and I'm more inclined to a closer to tradition look in the concept. It was actually in my original concept. It got lost/overlooked in one of the revisions. Thank you sir!

modifying update to reflect, respectively.

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2016, 07:29 PM by Rohm Iy'Kadaysh » Logged

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2016, 07:27 PM »
Update bump... Looking for some feedback before I start on with the plastics.
Thanks in advanced Vod!! Update applied to top/1st post.

Oya!!

...With that being said it is an interesting design for sure, and as with many custom design you will want to make sure you keep the App Team looped in as you move forward with your armor...

... I am interested to see this come together.

Curious if I could get your advice Vod. Thank you in an advance. Also if there is anyone else you suggest I connect with? I will also be reaching out to members in my clan.

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2016, 03:50 PM by Rohm Iy'Kadaysh » Logged

Dingo_Largo

• NorCal Freelancer
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2016, 04:47 PM »
So I saw your post on the Teren clan board. I'm not a Ruus'alor but I am a fabricator and studying up to hopefully become one. Looking over your pic your collar is too thick from your flak vest to the top of the chest plates. What this does it shifts all of your plates down. Use your belly button as a reference. The bottom edge of your plate should cut across the top of your belly button. The center of your collar plate should be 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" at your neckline.
Hopefully this hepls. I really like the design, it's a good look so far.

Dingo Largo
-NorCal Freelancer-
Wolves of Mandalore
MMCC #1377- WoM #32 - TC #50
Mando Rider #35 - B.o.B.B. #19
NDWO #39 - QMU #58 - GGG SL13770

Instagram - @DravensTotalCustoms
Facebook -DravensTotalCustoms
Twitter - TheDravenCorvus

Kris Jasra

« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2016, 05:07 PM »
Might want to also put the updates at the end - I completely missed the new stuff - lots of threads to check and no question or picture will mean no response :(

Looking better - I'd still split the lower chest plates as well as the top.

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2016, 05:24 PM »
So I saw your post on the Teren clan board. I'm not a Ruus'alor but I am a fabricator and studying up to hopefully become one. Looking over your pic your collar is too thick from your flak vest to the top of the chest plates. What this does it shifts all of your plates down. Use your belly button as a reference. The bottom edge of your plate should cut across the top of your belly button. The center of your collar plate should be 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" at your neckline.
Hopefully this hepls. I really like the design, it's a good look so far.

Your advice and eye is appreciated Vod. Looking at the collar plate today I do agree that there is room for some to come of the top so to speak. However, I was ver meticulous in the measurements with regards to my physique and structure. The bottom ab play skins the top of my belly button, the vest just covers it.

I'm going to tweak the top to more closely resemble the collar in the concept drawings. I'll be considering your observation in the next pass. Thank you again.

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2016, 11:44 PM by Rohm Iy'Kadaysh » Logged

Dingo_Largo

• NorCal Freelancer
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2016, 05:47 PM »

Thank you for the note. Since the concept is a bit custom, I made a point to really focus on my structure and anatomy. The bottom ab plate does come right to the top of my belly but. The diamond sits right on top of my sternum. Chest plates cover 1" past nipples. Ab plates cover the respective abs they appear to be.

Perhaps it's the angle of the pics

Also that it's laying flat. Tape it down to your vest, put on your vest and then take your pictures. It will give the proper perspective and alignment that way.

Dingo Largo
-NorCal Freelancer-
Wolves of Mandalore
MMCC #1377- WoM #32 - TC #50
Mando Rider #35 - B.o.B.B. #19
NDWO #39 - QMU #58 - GGG SL13770

Instagram - @DravensTotalCustoms
Facebook -DravensTotalCustoms
Twitter - TheDravenCorvus

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2016, 07:48 PM »
Also that it's laying flat. Tape it down to your vest, put on your vest and then take your pictures. It will give the proper perspective and alignment that way.

Updated to include the photo of the templates taped to the vest and me wearing the vest. I have to hold the sides back cause I don't have them secured yet. Also puts one here (below)

Also wearing the girth belt for better idea of placement. I again, armor come to just a thumb above belly button. The vest just barely covers it.

Might want to also put the updates at the end - I completely missed the new stuff - lots of threads to check and no question or picture will mean no response :(

Looking better - I'd still split the lower chest plates as well as the top.

Gotcha. Yeah I've seen people do both. I'll start putting updates in proper order.

I haven't thought about splitting the collar plate...

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2016, 11:49 PM by Rohm Iy'Kadaysh » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2016, 03:53 AM »
I wouldn't split the collar on this design. You've modded out the chest plates with horizontal splits - if you start pulling too many ther plates apart you'll start to lose the iconic shaping. That's why I'm suggesting keeping the vertical split in the chest plates rather than combining them. The more you modify, the more you want to keep other parts iconic or Joe Bloggs will see a lovely space man :P

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2016, 12:21 PM »
I wouldn't split the collar on this design. You've modded out the chest plates with horizontal splits - if you start pulling too many ther plates apart you'll start to lose the iconic shaping. That's why I'm suggesting keeping the vertical split in the chest plates rather than combining them. The more you modify, the more you want to keep other parts iconic or Joe Bloggs will see a lovely space man :P

ok. I may have read the previous post wrong. I agree that the top collar seems not only aesthetically better as a single piece but also functionally. A split up near my throat just screams 'blaster tracheotomy' to me too LOL

thanks Vod

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!