Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New Bucket WIP

• 20 Replies

Ja'nyc Crucible

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
New Bucket WIP
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Using the knowledge I have gained from this holocron, I have managed to begin making two buckets. After I finished, I found I liked them both, but still not satisfied with what I had. It was at this point I decided to take parts of each and combine them into a third product.

They are made from 110 lb. Cardstock paper. I used the pepakura files located here:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=109722.0

I used the cheeks from:
SWMC-AIR-LOW.pdo
The rest is made from:
a7r_helmet_paper.pdo
It did take a little bit of work on my part to get them to match up.

All in all I am very happy with how my final piece came out. I will have more to come as I begin the fiberglass resin stage.

Re: New Bucket WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 03:46 PM »
This is gonna be awesome! Definetly following this WIP

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:53 PM »
Damn those look like they're going to be something special. Can't wait to see the build.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 07:58 PM »
Very nicely done.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Ja'nyc Crucible

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
Re: New Bucket WIP ***Update***
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2016, 10:21 PM »
*****Update*****
Sorry it has taken so long to post new advances in my helmet, but I finally made it back on here.

I went ahead and started by using fiberglass resin the inside and outside.

Afterwards I inserted two layers of fiberglass cloth to the inside and sealed it with more resin, then i cut out the visor earea

Now the next part is a bit more difficult; the bondo stage can be very time consuming, so be ready for it to take a while. When using bondo, there are a few tools that you will want to have on hand:

Rubber spatula of a smaller size (can be found at target in the kitchen section)
Painters tape for helping to keep sharp edges
Small clay sculpting tools for sharp corners and for cleaning out of tight areas
Sandpaper 80, 120, and 220 grit (start with heavier grit)
Popsicle sticks (these are used for mixing of the bondo and for folding sandpaper around for smaller sanding areas)

Here is the first coat of bondo. Do not just glob the bondo on. The amount of sanding needed is already high and it will be even more if you put more bondo than is needed in an area. Also do each section one at a time, this way you can keep those edges and not lose certain details.

Second coat of bondo

Third coat of bondo

I will be putting a coat of primer here soon and start working on spot putty. Once I do, I will put another update at that point.

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2016, 09:15 PM »
Wow, commenting to follow, this looks crazy good.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2016, 09:32 PM »
Very good Vod! It's looking very clean and is headed in the right direction!

QMU#084

Ja'nyc Crucible

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2016, 01:17 AM »
After many more hours of work, I wet sanded the helmet with 220 grit sandpaper, then proceeded to use spot putty to fix a lot of scratches and dings. I then gave it a second coat of primer, which was good, but still had some rough spots. Too smooth it out more, I moved to 400 grit sandpaper lightly over the surface. And the final coat of primer then sealer to give me the product you see before you. Now, it does not have any paint on it yet, as I am planning to make a mold for people to purchase later. Also, I am looking at adding some louvers to the back area where the vents are located.

Bowfanny

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2016, 04:15 AM »
So cleanly done Vod. I've moulded a couple helmets in my time if you need help or ideas let me know.

QMU#084

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2016, 02:36 PM »
Wow, I've never seen this done! Glad it looks so good!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Ja'nyc Crucible

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2016, 05:45 PM »
Thank you! I am going to be putting up the post about my gauntlets here soon as well. Once I do, I will put in links for everyone.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2016, 06:33 PM »
please do! I'm interested to see the gauntlet work.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2016, 08:40 PM »
Very impressive, nicely done sir!!

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:52 PM »
This is easily one of the best pepakura builds I've ever seen.  I can't even imagine how much sanding it took to get it that smooth.  Great job!!  8)

bolakor

• I like my pirates like my coffee. Burnt.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:58 PM »
After many more hours of work, I wet sanded the helmet with 220 grit sandpaper, then proceeded to use spot putty to fix a lot of scratches and dings. I then gave it a second coat of primer, which was good, but still had some rough spots. Too smooth it out more, I moved to 400 grit sandpaper lightly over the surface. And the final coat of primer then sealer to give me the product you see before you. Now, it does not have any paint on it yet, as I am planning to make a mold for people to purchase later. Also, I am looking at adding some louvers to the back area where the vents are located.

Vod, i will hug you. And i will Order one of these the instant i can, and i will hug you again. This is a beautiful design, and you combined a bulky design with a sleek design in a very VERY fantastic way, and it is lovely. Please do let us know when you start molding these, so i can start scraping my couch for change and filling stuff in coinstar so i can buy one.
 Oh, and, best of luck in your molding process

Soft goods; 50% done
Armor; 0% done
weapons; 20% done
ideas; 110%

"You are most welcome here, my dear woman. I have an endless supply of theories about Jedi abilities—yet I keep running out of Jedi."
―Demagol

Ja'nyc Crucible

« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:49 PM »
Thank you so much. I promise I will let you know the moment I can get a mould done.

Ja'nyc Crucible

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 11:26 AM »
I know it has been a while. I have been working on the rest of my armor as I waited to get my helmet moulded for future castings, but the time has finally come to show you what I have come up with.

I started by painting it with a black primer then a silver undercoat and sealed it with a clear coat. then I proceeded to put toothpaste in areas where I wanted the damage to show through; mostly hitting areas in corners or along edges. Afterwards I painted it again with a black matte paint and then sprayed with a chameleon color for a blue/purple effect. I then taped off everywhere with frog tape and got a turquoise color for the rim color, and finally the muted hot pink for some highlights to match the rest of my armor.

For a full pic of the armor all together and all cleaned up visit my Armor thread here:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=124124.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!