Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Energy Bow

• 32 Replies

Kyri

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
Energy Bow
« on: May 18, 2016, 03:54 AM »
Decided I want to make an energy bow as seen below. Fits perfectly with my Beast Hunter and back story of being raised on Dathomir.

Current plan is to make the bow out of wood with the string and arrow made from EL wire. Thinking the batteries and switch will be contained in the grip you pull back. May then create a bone look to the wood but will figure that as I go along.

Sketched onto the wood. Length is 120cm and added my blaster for scale.

Heres what I'm thinking for the energy string.

Taakur Beroya

• Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.
Re: Energy Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:34 AM »
This is looking awesome  ;D I will be watching intently.

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 06:20 PM »
Reinforce the arms of the bow, the grain of the wood will make those the weak points.  I'll be watching this with interest.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kyri

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 05:26 AM »
Why thank you and a good spot. Definitely will need some reinforcing.

Yesterday I cut and sanded it. Waiting for my EL wire to arrive now so I can prep it before I drill and start prepping the wood for painting.

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 03:49 PM »
interesting concept vod! like the idea with the EL wire. 

following this with much interest  :)

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 04:52 PM »
My wife loves the Dathomir witches...I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out. :D I may be making one similar in the future! So much EL wire laying around here   :o

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 07:35 PM »
I will be keeping my eyes on your progress, absolutely love the concept behind it.  Dathomirians unite. :)

SWTOR- Begeren Colony: Zira'Dret

Kyri

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Thanks vod'e. Love hearing that you all want to see how this turns out  ;D

Managed to get some more prep done and my EL wire has arrived. Here is a sneak of what I plan to do. The wire will pass through the hole I've drilled and there is a greeblie from a camcorder that will sit at the front .

Paint is on and a very heavy weathered look.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:28 AM by Lys'ias Kurs » Logged

Kyri

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 05:36 PM »
Couple productive days. What do we think? The metal stick is the switch for the EL wire.

Once I'm happy with it will trim the wire and stick the lens on the front. Thinking of adding some more greeblies too.

Still not finished as the switch needs some attention and need to create the covers for the tied up EL at top and bottom.

The wire has three modes: on, long flash and flicker. Here is the flicker mode on display:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:42 AM by Lys'ias Kurs » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 07:24 PM »
This is looking really cool, vod!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Taakur Beroya

• Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 10:40 PM »
This is so awesome vod  ;D

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."

Byron_Grom

• Fortune favors the prepared
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 10:44 PM »
That's looking really good. I've got a questions and a related suggestion. Are you planning on being able to draw it back? If so, I'm wondering if there is a way to have the wires coiled on some kind of spring inside the grip to reel in any slack in the bowstring and "arrow." I've never worked with EL wire before, so I don't even know if it would be possible, just a thought.

Kyri

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 01:57 AM »
Thanks vod'e!

As for drawing it back, there is some excess wire in the hole of the bow that allows for it to pull back a bit. The wire isn't rigid enough to do too much while keeping the arrow straight unfortunately with too much distance.

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 02:34 PM »
one word amazing vod!  :o

Byron_Grom

• Fortune favors the prepared
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 04:54 PM »
Thanks vod'e!

As for drawing it back, there is some excess wire in the hole of the bow that allows for it to pull back a bit. The wire isn't rigid enough to do too much while keeping the arrow straight unfortunately with too much distance.

So I realized the way I worded my idea probably didn't make much sense, so let me try again. lol.

The wire is fastened tight at points A, B, and C so they won't move. Inside the grip, the ends of the 3 separate wires are coiled around three different springs that retract any excess slack in the wire (basically like a tape measure). That way when you pull back all three wires pull out independently, but remain taught, maintaining nice straight lines.

As I'm typing this I realize this will probably be very hard to do, given the limited size of the grip, and the fact that you've got batteries and wiring to worry about, but just a thought.

Kyri

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 05:59 PM »
Ah that does make sense but alas you are right, nowhere near enough space in the grip. Maybe if I make a Mark 2 model at some point.

Today I completed the ends and attached the lens. Sorted out the switch too. Pretty much ready to take out to MCM on Sunday now. :D

Here is it switching between modes:

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 04:29 AM »
looking so good. and maybe a idea for the 2.0 version :D try and make an arrow point. maybe it can be done with Plexiglas or what
s the name of it XD> the light can go true and make it even more realistic ;) 

Kyri

« Reply #17 on: Jun 05, 2016, 04:36 PM »
Good idea Choruk!  ;D

Just a last tweak, added a dial to change the energy bow's setting from stun to kill  :P Have coated it in lacquer too so its protected.

Just to say I am currently greeblieing this a lot ;)

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2016, 04:42 AM by Lys'ias Kurs » Logged
« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2016, 08:57 PM »
Jave you thought about using a clear rigid rod for the arrow, with the el wire inside of it?
That way it doesn't slack off if you know what i mean, and you can draw it back.

Kyri

« Reply #19 on: Jun 10, 2016, 02:53 AM »
You are a genius! Just ordered one off eBay and cannot believe I didn't think of it  :o ;D

« Reply #20 on: Jun 10, 2016, 07:15 AM »
Glad i could be of service Vod
By the way looks great

Kyri

« Reply #21 on: Jun 12, 2016, 06:18 PM »
So it has taken a while but I have personalised my bow. Here are the updates. I am awaiting an acrylic tube to keep the arrow straight and need to weather the leather straps.

Overview:

Mando writing is "No Beast Too Big" and buttons added to the grip.

Knife holder for my small blade. metal attachment to the ends of wire and leather strapping to grips.

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #22 on: Jun 13, 2016, 12:41 AM »
yep this bow is getting better and better. personal touches is that which make a weapon unique. cool text, and the knife holder as well. always good to have a small back up when something goes wrong ^^

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Jun 13, 2016, 12:46 AM »
I like this build very much! Watching with great interest!

Kyri

« Reply #24 on: Jun 13, 2016, 01:51 AM »
yep this bow is getting better and better. personal touches is that which make a weapon unique. cool text, and the knife holder as well. always good to have a small back up when something goes wrong ^^

Can't let those beasts get too close  :P

I like this build very much! Watching with great interest!

Thanks vod!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!