Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ilum Sniper WIP

• 99 Replies

Hanjo Solba

• Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
  • Awards 40% increase or more
Re: Ilum Sniper WIP
« Reply #50 on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:23 PM »
Agreed, I need to see what this looks like completed, awesome job!

OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP

Adenn'Kal

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #51 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:09 AM »
Bucket looks neat ! Hope to see the complete kit in the near future !

Skeltis

• No time to explain... But I'll explain anyway
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member EnviroOps Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #52 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Thanks, vode! ^^
Yeah, I hope to see it completed soon too)

In the mean time - almost finished left bracer.

Control board for lights and sound system installed into it, I'll tell more about it later.

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2017, 05:10 PM by Skeltis » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #53 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:38 PM »
Awesome work man!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Kruser

• Helmet on. Heart gone.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #54 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:58 PM »
Outstanding.  Updates on your build are always a treat.   Keep it up Skeltis!

« Reply #55 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:46 PM »
I might be a little late, but would you mind if I borrowed that abdominal armor for my armor?

Skeltis

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member EnviroOps Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:02 PM »
I might be a little late, but would you mind if I borrowed that abdominal armor for my armor?

Sorry for the late reply.
Not at all! There is a pattern of the plate on the previous page.

Skeltis

« Reply #57 on: Jan 22, 2017, 02:55 PM »
Awesome work man!

Thanks, Bowfanny!

Outstanding.  Updates on your build are always a treat.   Keep it up Skeltis!

Bucket looks neat ! Hope to see the complete kit in the near future !

Thanks, guys! I actually love your kits too, sometimes when I am tired after work and want to go home instead of workshop, I go into your threads and draw inspiration from your kits!

In the meanwhile I am working on grappling hook (I don't have jetpack, but somehow my character should move around Ilum glaciers). I wanted it to have massive-look, but compact, so I used broken umbrella for a basis.
Almost done actually, few details and few final steps left.

Subeo Moratis

• Subeo Moratis Vicci-Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome
« Reply #58 on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:00 PM »
Absolutely awesome. Is that Sintra?

1 Peter 2:17-18 KJV
Honour all men . Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #59 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:30 AM »
Impressive ingenuity!

QMU#084

Skeltis

« Reply #60 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:26 AM »
Absolutely awesome. Is that Sintra?

Could've been, but I prefer polystyrol.

Skeltis

« Reply #61 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Currently working on knife

based on DeathStick's blades from SW:Uprising

Bowfanny

« Reply #62 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Nice!

QMU#084

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #63 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:59 PM »
I can dig it. ;)

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Skeltis

« Reply #64 on: Jan 26, 2017, 04:04 PM »
I can dig it. ;)

DeathStick's body?  ;D

Current progress:

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #65 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:29 PM »
Duuuuuuuude!  This is amazing!  I was just introduced to your build, and wow!  Do you know what paint was used on your chest piece? 

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Skeltis

« Reply #66 on: Jan 28, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Duuuuuuuude!  This is amazing!  I was just introduced to your build, and wow!  Do you know what paint was used on your chest piece?

Thank you, Havelock! :) Choruk used this one:

It's water-based model paint, if I am correct

I prefer Bugtone Fire Butterfly:

This one is solvent paint, for that one I can vote for this paint - it was used for my first kit and I used it on helmet, and very pleased with it.
But could be that this one could be bought only in Russia.

In the meanwhile I made a shealth for the knife:

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2017, 05:11 PM by Skeltis » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #67 on: Jan 28, 2017, 04:04 PM »
DeathStick's body?  ;D

Current progress:

Was talking about the knife, but now that you mention it...  ;)

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #68 on: Jan 29, 2017, 12:47 PM »
I have been quietly following this build, but that knife is fracking awesome. is it a mold or built up? If it is a mold, would you ever consider making more for sale

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

Skeltis

« Reply #69 on: Jan 30, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Was talking about the knife, but now that you mention it...  ;)
Now you've got my attention   ;D

I have been quietly following this build, but that knife is fracking awesome. is it a mold or built up? If it is a mold, would you ever consider making more for sale

Heya. vod! Thank you very much!
It is a build up from polystyrol and sintra sheets. I am not planning to craft anything for sale anytime soon, sorry. But I can post detailed description how I built that knife later, if you want.

Barn

« Reply #70 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:49 PM »
But I can post detailed description how I built that knife later, if you want.

That would be most excellent if you could please.

Icar "The Red" R'vala'a

• Home is where the armor is
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #71 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:35 PM »
oh my  :D your kit is looking awesome. great job!

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
« Reply #72 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:14 AM »
ooooooohhhhhhh aaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! This is gorgeous sir, well done!!!!

Skeltis

« Reply #73 on: Feb 14, 2017, 03:09 PM »
That would be most excellent if you could please.

I'll do my best to post it this weekend.

oh my  :D your kit is looking awesome. great job!
ooooooohhhhhhh aaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! This is gorgeous sir, well done!!!!

Thank you, guys!

Well, I managed somehow somewhere lose my right bracer, so I need to redo it.
For now I finished box on my backplate, which contains electronics for the chest. When I assembled it initially it was simple sqaure box and it lacked details for sure, I wanted it to look like shield-generator, which it is actually, and I wanted it to have a "technical look", so that's what I come with:

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2017, 05:12 PM by Skeltis » Logged

Skeltis

« Reply #74 on: Feb 19, 2017, 01:59 PM »
Ok, here it goes. Sorry for my english and feel free to correct me, if I use wrong words or do grammatic/punctuation mistakes.

So, first step for me is usually planning and modeling.
Here is the blueprint

I used excel to fit and print it at scale I wanted.
The base idea is to use many layers of plastic to build billet and then form it as needed.

Base form is two polystyrol strips, 3mm thickness each. I use shockproof polystyrol, because it's stronger and harder than PVC(sintra), but to work with it you'll need to have at least grinder (sharpening machine?) - If you don't, you can use sintra instead of polystyrol.
upd. If you do - then everywhere I grind you will adze instead.

They glued together with secund cyanocrilate glue

I also added detent as a separate detail, but you can cut strips already with it.
upd. looking the photos after I posted I recall that i made it on purpose - so detent won't obstruct grinding a part near it.

Now I grind down grip part, to see where it will be and specify grip's diameter and length.

Then I form the cutting edge. If you use a grinder - do a bit of practice before, on some scratch, it can be tricky at first.

Here polystyrol pieces glued on the places, where I need to form rounded parts.

And they grinded

Grinding is rough forming, so after always goes finishing with rasp and sand.
Here I already formed pommel with a rasp and glued a detent:

I also wrapped grip with a 1 mm sintra. I needed to details on a grip later, but cut canvas on polystyrol is problematic, on the sintra on the other hand it's not a problem. It also hides any any mishapes left on the grip and adds few milimeters to grip thickness.

So, I cut a rectangle from 1 mm pvc, heated it and roughly wrapped around, then I glued it, and heated again to finish wrapping.

Gray part you see - is a pipe connector, I could've shaped this detail the same way as the others, but I already had it and it fitted just perfect.

Then goes cutting canvas, I tried different ways - cut it with knife, burn with soldering iron, grind with file - whatever works for you better

So now goes the shealth.
Base form is done from 1mm sintra, I cut two strips, and a polystyrol connector strip, which is 0,5mm thicker blade's thickness.

Next I bend strips where cutting edge goes. Remember - don't use heat gun here, just mark the bending line, pinch strip between two wooden planks and bend over all length.

And then glue it together:

Then I shaped it and started adding covers.
I cut two same pieces, exept they are mirrored, bend them with a heat gun, glue them on the sides of shealth, and then add a rectangle between them on the side edge, and then rasp and sand it.

And it's almost done

Finally adding greebles:

That's it. Hope it helps.

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2017, 05:13 PM by Skeltis » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!