Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Late Crusader W.I.P

• 33 Replies

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda and TDE#388
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017
Re: Late Crusader W.I.P
« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2016, 07:01 PM »

Sweet kit so far Vod!  I'm just starting the concepts for a Late Crusader kit.  Trying to work out the details for the chest plate (less Rohlan) and a better backplate (currently too legacy looking).

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 56
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #16 on: Jun 27, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Well the funny thing about crusader vs legacy is there are many reference images where crusader plates look very much like they could be legacy plates. The general issue with the legacy era is there is only a very very tiny pool of reference images to pull from and by tiny I mean one comic book. Where there are a TON for crusader at the end of the day the only thing that really sets legacy apart from crusader is the bucket and that is only true if you go with the quad-T or the triangle T

Really the fun of building in the crusader era is the flexibility you have in your plate design. The general rule of thumb for crusader is make sure you have a reference image or two, to back you up and just keep the App team looped in if you are breaking off and doing something wildly different from the norm, ie: my new plate design 

If you haven't yet take a look at these two threads, the crusader era is a HUGE time period and covers everything from before the neo-crusaders, clearly skips the neo-crusaders themselves and then covers everything after them up until the modern time, it is a huge sand box

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=10377.0

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=12625.0

Karl Dha'Werda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #17 on: Jun 27, 2016, 10:42 PM »
Well the funny thing about crusader vs legacy is there are many reference images where crusader plates look very much like they could be legacy plates. The general issue with the legacy era is there is only a very very tiny pool of reference images to pull from and by tiny I mean one comic book. Where there are a TON for crusader at the end of the day the only thing that really sets legacy apart from crusader is the bucket and that is only true if you go with the quad-T or the triangle T

Really the fun of building in the crusader era is the flexibility you have in your plate design. The general rule of thumb for crusader is make sure you have a reference image or two, to back you up and just keep the App team looped in if you are breaking off and doing something wildly different from the norm, ie: my new plate design 

If you haven't yet take a look at these two threads, the crusader era is a HUGE time period and covers everything from before the neo-crusaders, clearly skips the neo-crusaders themselves and then covers everything after them up until the modern time, it is a huge sand box

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=10377.0

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=12625.0

Thanks Vod, I've looked through both threads and found some other types of chest armour to explore.

Here is what I've drawn up so far (the idea is for a late crusader beast hunter, first get approved and then make the minor changes for the brigade):

See the backplate, that is what I refer too as the legacy plates.  It is all on paper right now, researching like crazy and only working on few things such as bells and knees (hard hats).  The bucket is on order (Rohlan Dyre from Bigwater99).  I have to have a backplate for the brigades and I'd like to change up the chestplates (as I said less Rohlan).

I'd like to post more on my thread after someone comments, so I don't intentionally double post.  ;)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=116571.msg1593951#msg1593951

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2016, 12:41 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Tomar Laval

• I am a total Shiny but I'll learn.
« Reply #18 on: Jun 30, 2016, 07:11 PM »
I am totally going to have to read through this post.
I am currently working on a Ramikadyc which I was told is late crusader.

Good....Bad.....I'm the man with a blaster...

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #19 on: Jul 01, 2016, 11:27 AM »
your progress looks really good vod :)

I am totally going to have to read through this post.
I am currently working on a Ramikadyc which I was told is late crusader.

damn vod did you made this? :)

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2016, 11:52 AM »
So guys going to step in and ask that this W.I.P thread hijacking please stop here.

Choruk Kar'ta if you want to talk with Tomar Laval, please do so over on their W.I.P thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114265.msg1597174#msg1597174

And Tomar Laval if you want to talk to Karl Dha'Werda about his build please do so over on his W.I.P thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=116571.msg1593951#msg1593951

Thanks guys, just don't want to have things get way off track. When post and questions about other people's builds would make more sense over on there W.I.P threads :D

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #21 on: Jul 01, 2016, 12:40 PM »
Tomar, I'd suggest starting your own WIP in: Forum Mandalorian Armor Alternative Era Armor Crusader/Neo Crusader Armor
This way people can give you feedback on your helmet other than hijacking Naran's thread here.

My design, still very much so a work in process.

Thanks Vod for sending people over to my WIP.  I'm sorry if my post got everyone else hijacking your thread.  Pretty cool, that we are around the similar stage of construction late crusader armour and only off by 67 OMs in our number.

BACK ON TOPIC with your WIP, what material did you use to design your chest plates?  The picture looks like a leather-like thick cardboard.  Are those rivets or chicago screws?  How is your backplate coming along?

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #22 on: Jul 01, 2016, 01:36 PM »
No worries on the thread hijack it happens and happy to send people over to your W.I.P thread, I am always happy to see more non-modern kits :)

The plates are sintra the gold plates have just been hammered by using a drum sander on the demrel the wrong way, the straps are just leather belting and I use chicago screws over rivets as it makes repairs easier and during a build just makes making adjusts much less of a pain.

I did get feedback from the app team in regards to my chest plates, going to need to bring the under plate bring up all the way up and close the gap between the top plates a touch, but otherwise things are moving forward. Biggest hold up is waiting on more sintra to arrive so I can make plates again.

I have mocked up the full set of chest and backplate in cardboard, just need to find out which box my tape is pack in so I can attach them and take some pictures  :laugh: hopefully I will have some pictures of the full plate designs up later today.

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Boba and Jango 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2016, 03:59 PM »
I had a hunch the app team wouldn't like the gap between the chest plates like that.  Did you receive any additional feedback about the kit in general or did you just ask about the chest plates? 

The best thing I can advise is to have an app team member along for the ride on this build and reference, reference, and then some more reference on the ideas you want to do for this kit.   

I look forward to seeing how this one comes out and helping you along the way.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #24 on: Jul 02, 2016, 05:14 AM »
O yea damn now I see it :) wauw I'm so sorry. never intended to make this happen. I was just curious about the build :D so I know the solution I'm going to follow both these cool builds :D

great job guys keep it up :D   

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

Tomar Laval

• I am a total Shiny but I'll learn.
« Reply #25 on: Jul 02, 2016, 08:55 AM »
So guys going to step in and ask that this W.I.P thread hijacking please stop here.

Choruk Kar'ta if you want to talk with Tomar Laval, please do so over on their W.I.P thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114265.msg1597174#msg1597174

And Tomar Laval if you want to talk to Karl Dha'Werda about his build please do so over on his W.I.P thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=116571.msg1593951#msg1593951

Thanks guys, just don't want to have things get way off track. When post and questions about other people's builds would make more sense over on there W.I.P threads :D
Sorry wasn't trying to hijack the post my bad.

Good....Bad.....I'm the man with a blaster...

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #26 on: Jul 02, 2016, 11:01 PM »
No worries guys thread hijacking happens all the time, no harm no foul

Anyway, made some very solid headway on the chest plate today. Very happy with how it turned out. As always thoughts and feedback are wanted and appreciated. Plan on knocking out the backplate tomorrow at which time I will post some pictures of the plates on me :)

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #27 on: Jul 02, 2016, 11:07 PM »

Sweet Vod!!  I like where your going, starting working with cardboard for my plates this evening.  You make it look too easy.  ;)

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #28 on: Jul 03, 2016, 09:29 AM »
Just a quick overall update, chest plate is about 95% done just need to do some minor painting here and there, also wanted to go ahead and get a picture up for the waist items and the cod/hard belt.

Going to finish the backplate today, still need to work out what I am going to do for the other shoulder plate.

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Boba and Jango 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #29 on: Jul 03, 2016, 10:08 AM »
Are you planning on painting some of those rivets/hardware to match your paint? 

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!