Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New Armor Planning, deathwatch style allowed?

• 8 Replies
New Armor Planning, deathwatch style allowed?
« on: May 26, 2016, 05:45 PM »
Hello all!

I plan on doing a submission with full step-by-step details, to help our struggling group here in the Pacific.  That being said, standard modern Mando plates don't fit me at all!  The female deathwatch armor plate style fit me very well, so I wanted to know if I could use that as the armor base without doing Deathwatch colors/logos?  I also have a custom helmet that I'm currently working on, and want to know if the pattern will pass muster as far as design goes. Pictures attached, WIP. I also still have to cut the vertical T-slot completely, but for stability purposes, I left it intact for the moment.

Front photo, before I cut the rest of the T-slot and even everything out:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:08 AM by jetgirl86 » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: New Armor Planning, deathwatch style allowed?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:17 PM »
As far as I'm aware, you can use deathwatch style plates without deathwatch colors, sigils, etc.  As for your bucket, that loos pretty cool, and I should think it'll work, but that's only my opinion. However, I'm sure Kris, ConDar, Ref, or one of the other members of the App Team will stop by and give a definitive yea or nay on the bucket.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:28 PM »
I may be wrong here (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am) but I don't think that bucket will fly for Modern Era, which Death Watch falls under.  It's lacking a rim.  I can't see the back, but I don't see anything like 'keyholes' there either.  Ear caps stick out enough, should be ok (I like the fact that they are diamond shape, tying the the armor). 

Death Watch plates are certainly approval worthy, provided they are the correct size, spacing, and shape.

Bucket looks cool, though.  What design is it?

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 04:35 AM »
Thanks for the input so far!  The helmet is Jakkrit Sri-in's design.  If I have to make a "keyhole design" to fit in the back, I think I can be creative enough. There are some helmets that don't have rims that are modern, so I'm hoping for the best!

My plates are a great fit, so I won't have to worry.  I just need some soft parts, and I'm good to go!

I'll wait until I get a definitive answer for the helmet; can't wait to share the news with my friends!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 09:33 PM »
If you want to ask the App Team directly, you can use this form.  Just be sure to include pictures.   :D

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 01:32 AM »
It'd fall under the Pepakura build category of helmets however it doesn't have the modern feel to it. It looks crusader era. The only helmet that I know of that's modern and doesn't have a brim is a Pre Vizsla phase 2 and it has a back brim but not a front. Night Owls have brims as well as majority of any moder helmet in the trading station that's sold as modern.
The helmet does look really good, you've done a great job on building it so far. I'd like to see what Kris or the others have to say. A couple modifications and you might be set though.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 06:03 PM »
I heard my name. Interesting... Definitely reminiscent of Rohlan Dyre rather than Fett. Currently a Late Crusader look to me, same as the aforementioned Dyre. However that one fits modern with the addition of keyslots, a proper rim and ear caps. So this design should work the same way, although the back to front elongation of the sides isn't helping visualise it.
Don't suppose you'd be able to mock up where you'd mod to put the slots, rim and add a bit to the earcaps (marker or blue tacked on card is how I roll to help visualise stuff like that)?
I think the main thing here is going to be keeping the balance and aesthetic that you're going for with the base design and fitting it into the modern era specifications.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 02:42 PM »
At very worst, if I have to, I'll change my entire armor design to late crusader, but that will set me back a few months, which means I'll have to do some... thinking....

Could I just blend the bottom part of the rim addition where I have the arrow?
Meanwhile, I'll report back to my Squad/clan leader to let him know of the unanticipated snag.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:09 PM by jetgirl86 » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 06:35 PM »
Reposted these into the Q&A too so the rest of the team can see them. You work fast :)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!