Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Greenhorn build

• 25 Replies

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Greenhorn build
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2016, 03:06 AM »
Shins could do with moving down, they're a tad high. If they're meant to be shnees I'd advise shifting them down and adding an extra plate for the knee to them.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kalrir

• OM#1671
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2016, 03:28 AM »
Shins could do with moving down, they're a tad high. If they're meant to be shnees I'd advise shifting them down and adding an extra plate for the knee to them.

Hadn't noticed that at the time. When I put them on myself I have them tucked down to where they should be, but I had totally forgotten to put them on before I got everything else on and had to get a bit of help. I'm keen on having them as single piece greaves. I'd rather cut out new ones than mount extensions onto them. Unfortunately, that was the last shot I got before I hit the road. Won't be back to the kit for a few weeks.  :-[

Edit: This is the sort of thing I'm going for, just while also incorporating more mando-y shapes in the styling

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2016, 10:23 AM by Kalrir » Logged

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2016, 02:23 PM »
That design doesn't actually look to cover the knee. It has a top flair that just edges over the bottom part of the knee - to be approved you'd need to add a bit more on so that the full knee is covered.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kalrir

• OM#1671
« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Well you've helped me dodge a bullet! :o Now that I've worn these, I do have some ideas for how I'd do it differently. I'm interested in having the plates be asymmetrical with greater coverage extending onto the outside of the calves with less material on the inside. Probably also go for some sharper angles, sort of quote the pectoral plates if that makes any sense?

Also, do you think I would be good to start painting the chest?

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2016, 07:50 PM by Kalrir » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2016, 11:22 PM »
That design looks fine :)

And torso wise - may need to just poke the top edges of the collar plate down over your shoulders a little more - but it's very well shaped and spaced otherwise.

Kalrir

• OM#1671
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 12:52 PM »
Well it's been a while! Life has done an excellent job of getting between me and my project, and has pushed me into a corner for a singular deadline. I was, and still am, planning to have something serviceable come time for Animazement in two weeks - which means for my sanity I'm having to roll with a less than ideal arrangement. I have run up against a wall with my backplate, and just can't get it to sit right at all. As much as it bugs me to do this, I'm going to go without it for the convention and just cheat with a cape tucked into my belt. Additionally, I've run out of material with which to make suitable new greaves and didn't have the chance to pick more up, so those are getting drafted for the con too. I'll probably recycle them into just shins further down the line when the set is application ready.

I was able to get what I have ready for painting painted though! I'm still undecided on what decals to put on my shoulders, and I need to do some minor touch ups to hide some bits where the base coat was pulled up - which leads me to my question for the day. I am 90% sure that the black paint I was using for the stripes is latex based. It didn't chip off like the tan did, but sort of peeled off like a wrapper and that sometimes meant peeling off sections that weren't supposed to come off. My plan for my helmet involves the dome having alternating tan/black/burgundy stripes with a frequency that seemed like it would be easier to hand paint than spray. Unfortunately, the paint I have for the burgundy is also the same type as the black and would be subject to the same less-than-ideal peeling. So my conundrum, with time being of great concern, is if there is a way to make this latex-based paint behave better (I found that I could minimize peeling by scratching it off with my finger nail instead of picking at it, and didn't have too much damage to the undercoat that way), or should I swap to spray paint (which I've yet to find a non-gloss burgundy for) or something else? I would really like consistency between the stripes I have on the chest, and the ones that will be on the helmet so far as the blacks being indistinguishable which sort of implores me to continue using the paint I have now, unless you all think nobody would notice the switch-up.

Current status of painting:

My helmet plan:

Kris Jasra

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 06:20 PM »
After primering I tend to do a base layer (tan), give it a very light sand. Do another tan layer, light sand, then do the next colour, sand, same colour, etc.

The sanding between layers helps the next one adhere and the double colouring helps if any does peel as it means it peels to the same colour. I'll even add lacquer layers between coats sometimes - but that really does need a good 24 hours to fully dry to be effective.

Kalrir

• OM#1671
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 12:02 AM »
Giving that a whirl on my helmet. Quick question about washing. From what I've gathered, black and brown are the norm. I'm just not sure which would be more appropriate given the color scheme?

Kalrir

• OM#1671
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 11:36 AM »
Painting is done on all but the vambraces!

Kris Jasra

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 11:59 AM »
For an overall no particular place wash I tend to use a mix of browns and black for general dirt, pure black wash and carbon dust for heat damage - blasters, sabres etc, and then boots/shins/knees may get a touch of greens too. Usually about 4 or 5 layers minimum with drying time in between.

Desert is heavier on the browns and replace the green with hints of yellow/orange/red.
Snow is more towards black and greys than browns.
Urban loses some of the green and replaces with more blacks.
Jungle loses some of the black and adds in more greens and very occasionally hints of colour from brushing against flowers.

Give it a light sandpaper pass in a few places that are likely to brush against walls before you wash - the colour really brings the scratches out.
Don't forget to match damage that goes off the edge of one plate onto the next and weather the fabric in between too.
And also pay attention to what is more likely to get damaged, eg knees, the main damage is likely to be scuffing and dirt from kneeling, while chest is more likely to be damage from fighting and scuffing at plate edges, while the cod plate if you wear one will be least damaged.

Kalrir

• OM#1671
« Reply #25 on: Jun 01, 2016, 12:01 PM »
I managed to get it together in time for the con! I need to repair my rangefinder, and find better boots for sure that don't leave my toes numb.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!