Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jacad's E60R Rocket Launcher - COMPLETED

• 19 Replies

Dala Aran

• OM #1641 "Slow is smooth & smooth is fast"
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Jacad's E60R Rocket Launcher - WIP
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2016, 02:29 PM »
Can someone tell me what is the purpose of the bondo coating?
Can the prop just be painted once the pieces are glued?

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2016, 03:59 PM »

for what I know the reason why we do bando is.

1: paint will stick beter :)
2: all the seams will be filled so you have a nice smooth service looking like the weapon is made from one piece ^^

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

Jacad Moonstar

• The Ghost of Alaris Prime
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Aug 08, 2016, 01:08 AM »
Hello Hello @.@

Whew, life has been busy, hasn't it? My entire month of July has been consumed, not even any troops either. Let's change that a bit, shall we?

I have returned to working on my Big monster of a Rocket Launcher. I am confident to say I just need to do one last session of Bondo before the big sand. I've already used over 3 cans of Bondo so far!!!

Just one can Jacad...Just one more can, and this madness will be all over, and more Sanding, and even moar sanding, and Even moar sanding! This by far is going to be longest part for this weapon of mine. It's a bit frustrating trying to make the bondo flush with the sintra and rest of the body. It's almost like Clay crafting except it dries quickly @.@

I filled the back fin groves to elimate it's nerfyness, I also filled the middle, and used sintra plates to cover some of the open spots

Edit:

When I first started, I use to hot glue everything. It worked, but it wasn't smooth and looked amateur. Bondo allows you to sand and smooth surfaces down without losing the gluing bond. My rule of thumb, Glue first, then Bondo after. This will ensure everything stays in play. Some Bondo jobs are so good that you won't even notice it. For me, Bondo has been something I'm still learning and is part of the reason why I'm taking longer than normal.

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2016, 10:45 PM by Jacad Moonstar » Logged
MVS Founder

♫Springtime for Vader and Palpatine! Winter time for Alderaan and Hoth!♫

Dandro Shadd

• "The Trashman"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Aug 08, 2016, 11:45 PM »
Showoff...  :P

j/k bud, big big BOOM! If only it could be ready for the A's game...

/sigh

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!" -Dandro Shadd

OM# 1026
Ruus'alor - Teren Clan ( 2015- 2018 )
Approval Team ( 2018 - Present )
Ruus'sol (South East Region)
Western Regional Commander  (2020- Present)
M.A.B.E.L. #057
K.O.M.S. #054

Jacad Moonstar

• The Ghost of Alaris Prime
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2016, 02:22 PM »
HELLO HELLO!

I'm still working on my big beast of a weapon. Being an amateur at  Bondo, I learned some things in the time after my last post on this thread. For example, sanding the bondo before applying another layer. Failure to do so will result in annoying Air pockets. I am happy to say after being on my fourth can of Bondo, and with the sculpting power of Popsicle sticks, My troubles with Bondo will soon be over. Here is the Progress I made. Just got to give it a goooooooooooood sanding. I'm going to buy 400 grit and maybe finer just to assure this Rocket launcher is so smooth.

I PLAN TO GET THIS DONE BEFORE HALLOWEEN, IT IS NOW OR NEVER!
-------------------
10/10/2016

BONDO IS DONE!! I FINALLY FINISHED APPLYING ANYMORE BONDO!!!
I can finally work on the next phases!

- Sanding with finer sandpaper, say 400 grit
- Glaze Putty small spots I missed
- Attempt to attach LED's in the front of the launcher
- Primer
- Paint
- DONE

--------------

10/11/2016

Decided to jump ahead and Prime the son of a gun with sand-able primer. Just to get ready for the great paint.

This now leaves me with not much anymore sanding as it's already looking smooth.
I still need to find lights

A few minor chips into the bondo, they're very small. I might make these into weathering chips and not work on them.

-----------------

UPDATE 10/16/2016

Because I'm a nincompoop with electronics, I went to go find any lights I could find in home depot that were Red. I found "glow stick" lights and applied them to the open gaps of the rocket launcher.

I also cut some plexiglass to put over the exposed light panels. I'm going to paint one side of the plexiglass with fog paint you use with windows.

Here are the lights in the dark.

------------------

WONDERFUL NEWS!

I finally finished this big monster. I am not posting any pictures just yet. I just did a photoshoot with this big monster and I will show the complete results when I get them.

-----------------------

Here it is!! The fruit of my Labor!

----------------

Shot of the Complete product

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2016, 07:25 PM by Jacad Moonstar » Logged
MVS Founder

♫Springtime for Vader and Palpatine! Winter time for Alderaan and Hoth!♫

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!