Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Late Crusader WIP

• 61 Replies

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Late Crusader WIP
« on: Jun 25, 2016, 08:06 AM »
This is a combination of other threads I may or may have not hijacked with questions on their threads (figured I'd start my own):

Following with extreme interest ^^, I'm in the planning process for a late crusader build with similar armour, helmet, and gauntlet styles to this canon character.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My helmet thread is HERE

Is this helmet acceptable for a late crusader kit?
Yes. ;)
Yeah, you might want to modify it a bit though so it's not exactly the same as Rohlan.

Oh, it will be.  I'm switching up the colours for along the lines of Beast Hunter environmental colours and will have an air hose on each cheek/face on my design.  I'm working out a few details, but here is the concept design I did the other day:

I'd recommend different chest armor and gauntlets as that looks exactly like Rohlan with shins switched out and some spikes added to the right shoulder.

Many Thanks to all the people that gave me encouragement, suggestions & comments during the construction of my kit. I look forward to trooping with you all in the near future! 

FYI, this is the same armour style as Ru'Der Marekar used for his kit, as seen above ^^.

Yep, I wasn't a super big fan of the other late crusader armour types, but I can easily modify this armour as it is still in the planning stages (to be less Rohlan).

Does my conceptual back armour work or is it too much like Legacy armour?  I was looking for something simple, that may be used during the era.  The only things I've found so far are backpacks or jetpacks.  Gearing towards a brigade and a backplate is required.

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2017, 03:17 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Late Crusader WIP (geared towards beast hunter)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2016, 12:20 AM »
So looking over your pictures, if you want to have a segmented backplate. The most common style during the crusader era is this sort of pear shaped three piece segment, but like I said there isn't anything anywhere that says only legacy kits can have segmented plates.

Also on that topic NOT ONE of the small pool of example legacy mando's have segmented backplates, the idea of the segmented backplates being a thing tied to the legacy era comes from Old Vart's patterns, that are widely used for legacy kits and the thing with those patterns, that most people forget is that he made them to draw on the armor style of the Savage Opress combined with legacy era plates. So in my book segmented backplates make a whole lot more sense in the crusader era where they pop up more commonly than they honestly do in the legacy era where they don't show up...

As for your chest plate there are a number of options you can go with like I said over on my build thread, the crusader era is wide open in terms of plate design, if you don't want Rohlan style plates just pick another mando from the era that has some neat looking plates and go from there, you don't have to match your reference 1:1 so long as you can go this is the design style I am going for everything should be good, just keep the App Team in the loop.

Karl Dha'Werda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Well the funny thing about crusader vs legacy is there are many reference images where crusader plates look very much like they could be legacy plates. The general issue with the legacy era is there is only a very very tiny pool of reference images to pull from and by tiny I mean one comic book. Where there are a TON for crusader at the end of the day the only thing that really sets legacy apart from crusader is the bucket and that is only true if you go with the quad-T or the triangle T

Really the fun of building in the crusader era is the flexibility you have in your plate design. The general rule of thumb for crusader is make sure you have a reference image or two, to back you up and just keep the App team looped in if you are breaking off and doing something wildly different from the norm, ie: my new plate design 

If you haven't yet take a look at these two threads, the crusader era is a HUGE time period and covers everything from before the neo-crusaders, clearly skips the neo-crusaders themselves and then covers everything after them up until the modern time, it is a huge sand box

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=10377.0

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=12625.0

Thanks Vod, I've looked through both threads and found some other types of chest armour to explore.

Here is what I've drawn up so far (the idea is for a late crusader beast hunter, first get approved and then make the minor changes for the brigade):
Colour Version of Concept1 & Concept2:

See the backplate, that is what I refer too as the legacy plates.  It is all on paper right now, researching like crazy and only working on few things such as bells and knees (hard hats).  The bucket is on order (Rohlan Dyre from Bigwater99).  I have to have a backplate for the brigades and I'd like to change up the chestplates (as I said less Rohlan).

As stated in a different thread, I'm working on a concept different than Rohlan's chest plates (also suggested by Briks).  I also want better mobility.  I was thinking something like this and more 3D like this:

But with more mobility like this:

I've got started on a few parts and pieces to my kit.  The shoulder bells are modified hard hats.  Dots represent where holes will be drilled for metal spikes:

I'm still working out the shape of the knees, other half of hard hats:

Lots of research later . . . my second concept excludes thigh plates, dual holsters, and similar gauntlets.  I'll figure something out with the gaunts, but for now they are going to be green hard leather bracers with buckles.

Working along with Brigade requirements as well as Late Crusader CRL's; this will be a light armour kit (mobility):
http://mandalorianmercs.org/get-involved/brigades/525-2/#7-Beast-Masters
http://mandalorianmercs.org/get-involved/costume-requirements/

List of materials, parts, and pieces:
Purchased. Arrived 7/19/16. Rohlan Dyre full size 1/1 scale helmet from Bigwater99 .  WIP found HERE
Armour: The Ramikadyc - Late Crusader armor from TMA.   
  Chest plates - conceptual design plate purchased from The Mandalorian Arsenal (TMA) for The Ramikadyc plates. DONE.
  Cod piece - conceptual design purchased from The Mandalorian Arsenal (TMA) for The Ramikadyc plates. DONE.
  Back plate (brigade required) - looking at a segmented pattern, still need to run past App Team purchased from The Mandalorian Arsenal (TMA) for The Ramikadyc plates. DONE.
  Shoulder bells - hard hats, spikes purchased shaped, painted, spikes attached, attached to leather flak vest.  DONE.
  Knee plates - also hard hats, leather strapping.  DONE.
  Shin plates - design cut out from 6mm Sintra, needs heat gun work shaped, painted, detail work, weathered, ready to attach to shins with leather strapping.

Soft Parts: See below
  Flight Suit - Tan in colour, medium long, ready to weather. Weathered.  DONE.
  Flak Vest - Brown leather jacket, similar to my current flak vest.  Found a mountain man leather jacket, removed "earthy" leather fringes, sleeves cut off, ready for armour attachments.  May not use, as not required for LC era.  DONE.
  Ammo Belt w/Pouches - Leather per Beast Hunter requirement.  Belt purchased.  Real leather pouches purchased.  DONE.
  Boots - purchased, brand removed, waiting for half chaps to arrive.   Chaps arrived, weathered, and zipper covered.   DONE.
  Neck Seal - tan/khaki in colour, purchased, shipping will be here mid-July balaclava here, needs weathering with flight suit.  Could not find, used my wife's old one and painted to match flight suit.  DONE.
  Sash - army green, still working at details of whether or not I want this.
  Cape - TBD.
  Gloves - preferrable leather, possible longer, TBD Leather "deer skin" tan yellowish gloves purchased.  Weathered, ready to wear.  DONE.
  Sheath - leather, 7.5" length, found one at Wal-Mart and modified the blade to be con-friendly/blunt.  DONE.
  Bracers - green hard leather, weathered, ready to wear.  DONE.

Weapon(s)/Accessories:
  Hunting knife - working with 6mm Sintra for realistic Con-safe blunt knife.  Will have wood handle with leather strapping.  Hunting knife, rubber handle painted to look like bone.  DONE.
  2 handed long rifle with scope - open for ideas - going to work with this concept from the SWTOR sniper rifle, airsoft sniper gun as base purchased, working on making it look similar to this rifle from SWTOR (see below): completed see this thread for update on sniper rifle. DONE.

Macrobinocular - design in place, need to order base and get greeblies.  Found a WIP on the forums, but can't find it for reference.  Completed WIP on this thread. DONE.
  Snare - ready to purchase when funds are available purchased.  Weathered.  DONE.
  Trophies - jaw bone (of unknown species at this time) for bucket.  This did not work.  Spikes along helmet completed, low profile like Clone Helmets.  See WIP here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=116573.0
 other trophies are "teeth".  DONE.
Attachment Methods:
  Velcro (plates to flak vest), 10 ft purchased.  DONE.
  Chicago screws (depends on segmented backplate), will now be used for leather strapping adhered to armour.  DONE.
  Leather strapping/buckles for strapping. Mostly purchased, still need side and back strapping for flak vest.  DONE.
  Magnets (fan box to back plate)

Open for ideas!!

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017, 11:21 AM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2016, 11:12 AM »
The shoulderbell/hard hat idea = brilliant! Will have to remember this

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2016, 11:35 AM »
The shoulderbell/hard hat idea = brilliant! Will have to remember this

Credit to Ref Al'drann and Ru'Der Marekar for this idea.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2016, 12:37 PM »
So as I guy with two kits with solid chest plates, you are going to lose mobility no matter what you do. The modern style plates have the most mobility hands down any solid plating, even with segmenting things and you lose mobility just the way of it.

That being said if connect your back plates and chest plate and make one solid piece of armor it means you get to be that cool guy that can kit up all by themselves and plus you never have to worry about your plates wandering off :)

Now that being said if you build your chest plate out and do not connect it to your ab plate but instead allow the ab plate to move under your chest plate doing that you will gain a bit of mobility, however going route has it downside as well as your ab plate can pop free and well no one wants that  :laugh:

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2016, 01:42 PM »
So as I guy with two kits with solid chest plates, you are going to lose mobility no matter what you do. The modern style plates have the most mobility hands down any solid plating, even with segmenting things and you lose mobility just the way of it.

That being said if connect your back plates and chest plate and make one solid piece of armor it means you get to be that cool guy that can kit up all by themselves and plus you never have to worry about your plates wandering off :)

Now that being said if you build your chest plate out and do not connect it to your ab plate but instead allow the ab plate to move under your chest plate doing that you will gain a bit of mobility, however going route has it downside as well as your ab plate can pop free and well no one wants that  :laugh:

Ya, it will be a lot of cardboard templates before it goes onto Sintra.  My current kit is one of those that I can kit up by myself (except the back zipper of my flak vest).  I'm thinking of a flak vest, although not required it might help in keeping plates lined up.  I'd like to be able to run, if necessary like I can in my current kit.

« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2016, 11:32 AM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Tiric Keel

• Family is more than blood!
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2016, 02:04 PM »
Commenting to follow, this is going to be fun helping with!

Karta Beskar 2019
OM Troops: 100+  Educational Troops: 23
MMCC # 1081
159   Tiric Keel, 10/17/15, Vanguard, 267th Rapid Assault   Demolitions
DZ-80396 “Ace”

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2016, 01:30 PM »
So looking over your pictures, if you want to have a segmented backplate. The most common style during the crusader era is this sort of pear shaped three piece segment, but like I said there isn't anything anywhere that says only legacy kits can have segmented plates.

Naran, do you have a example of this pear shaped three piece segmented backplate?  I'm not finding a reference photo.

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2016, 12:59 AM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2016, 11:48 PM »
SWTOR Tac-HUD Heavy Sniper Rifle

I chose a two handed rifle from Star Wars The Old Republic (SWTOR) as my Mandalorian Late Crusader weapon.   It is this Tac-HUD Heavy Sniper Rifle.  SWTOR started sometime around 3653 years Before the Battle of Yavin (BBY).  The Late Crusader time period is after the Early Crusaders (3996 BBY), but before the Neo Crusaders (which ended cir. 3060 BBY).  This places the Late Crusaders somewhere in same time period or thereabouts as SWTOR and makes this sniper rifle a logical choice for my character.

Per Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club CRL’s on Crusaders (hence Late Crusaders) the weapon requirements are as follows:

At least one weapon of late/crusader style (not modern-looking)
Ancient melee weapons and ancient style blasters are acceptable
Modern Era weapons are NOT acceptable
This eliminates my modified DL-44 blaster and my modified EE-3 carbine rifle from my current “Modern Era” kit of Karl Dha’Werda.  Under the CRL’s for the Beastmaster Brigade  subcategory Beast Hunter within the Mandalorian Mercs comes these BRL’s under weapons:

ONE of the following is required:
   - A knife or vibroblade

*Note: Though knives of this nature aren’t often seen in the Star Wars universe, they must be of a Swarzy design, meaning no obvious flea market Rambo knives or      unmodified knives from the shelf.   Knives may be made to resemble any in-universe material as well as bone, tooth or sharpened scale.  They must be dull and completely safe.  As per club rules, no retractable or spring loaded blades are allowed on gauntlets.  Fixed or removable blades only.

ONE of the following is also required:
   - 2 handed, ranged weapon with scope – any in-universe weapon that fires lethal projectiles

Although I am still working on a sintra blade for my knife, I was able to conceive this 2 handed, range weapon with scope for my beasthunter build from the SWTOR sniper rifle.  I started by researching the sniper rifle and after carefully studying them I purchased a modern “earthy” airsoft sniper rifle as seen below:

The first thing I did was had pieces of sintra (3mm) to the face of the stock and other parts of the rifle to make it more blocky looking and less “earthy.”  I added a hand grip from off of an old orange hunter pro game rifle.  You can see the slight orange left.

I then added a pipe to the desired length I wanted the barrel to be.  I spent hours at our local Lowe’s walking down the aisles looking for pipe fittings that resemble the tip of a SWTOR sniper rifle.  I don’t remember its name, but it was found in the electrical section and can have a cap screwed on the tip (to which I will paint orange) for cons and other events where it may be needed.

I added a secondary pipe above the chrome mini flashlight piece which holds the barrel in place for more stability.  Then I worked on the shape of the scope as seen in the SWTOR sniper scope (1 1/2″ PVC pipe).  I also added a iron sight to my barrel tip and a digital display from the calculator I used on my modern gauntlets (Casio calculator keypad), I figure it could be one of the blue lights on the side of the rifle as seen in the first images from SWTOR.

After going back and forth from my apartment to the garage with bits and pieces my last trip involved painting all the pieces flat black; this step made it look like a real rifle.

My colour scheme is to be similar to my late crusader beasthunter helmet with environmental in-universe colours.  Lots of greens, sort of like a camouflage with colours.  I also wanted to added leather wraps to show wear/tear and most of all use of the rifle.  It needs to look like I’ve been stalking through the woods after my prey.

BRL’s state:

- Substantial environmental weathering that suggests prolonged exposure to the elements (no pristine kits) – Hunters get dirty stalking through the woods or crawling through the sand, and your kit must reflect this. Keep in mind, a profession like this wouldn’t have much demand in urban areas.  Most of your jobs will be in the Outer Rim or in frontier areas where luxuries like baths and electricity are not common.

The above image shows my sniper rifle without the scope.  As I was using a real scope; a 4×32 Sniper Riflescope Hunting I got off Amazon for under $20 bucks I wanted to have the least amount of spray paint near it (to protect the lenses).

The result turned out way better than expected and I spent the following day with acrylic paints adding detail work to the overall look.  It turned out just how I wanted with my unique twists and close enough to the SWTOR sniper rifle I was going for.  Yes, I’ll probably added light displays down the road, but my primary overall look is completed (ignore the scope in the first image as it looks like it is tilted downwards.  It is a camera angle and isn’t really crooked).

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2016, 08:34 AM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Tiric Keel

• Family is more than blood!
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2016, 11:51 PM »
Replying to follow, love that rifle!

Karta Beskar 2019
OM Troops: 100+  Educational Troops: 23
MMCC # 1081
159   Tiric Keel, 10/17/15, Vanguard, 267th Rapid Assault   Demolitions
DZ-80396 “Ace”

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2016, 12:55 AM »
Replying to follow, love that rifle!

Thanks Tiric and here is an update on my macrobinoculars:

Beast Hunter Macrobinoculars

There are few references to Macrobinoculars or Electrobinoculars and as it or  a range finder is required for the Beast Hunter Brigade I need to have one or the other (see below for BRL).  My kit is from the Late Crusader Era, so the rangefinder on my helmet is not an option.

Additional Required Gear
   - Electro/Macrobinoculars or a rangefinder. (one or the other is required)

Below you can see examples of these electro/macrobinoculars used by Imperial, Rebel, Sith, and Jedi.

I was browsing through the forums the other day and came across an unique build for macrobinoculars and right in my price range.  I’ve since searched for this post and can’t seem to find it (I believe they were working towards the desert ops brigade, but can’t find the post to clarify).  Anyways they used the Radica Sub Assault game as their base for the macrobinoculars.

Adding a few knobs, a lens, and other greeblies it can pass as an awesome prop.  I quickly searched both eBay ($24ish) and Amazon ($34ish) for this game and put it on my wishlist for future reference/when funds became available.

Probably about a month or two later I purchased the Tank Assault version and then I need to figure out greeblies.  I went to a local thrift store called, A Cause for Claws here in Bismarck, ND.  In my opinion they have a back section full of junk or in our sense full of greeblies for our kits.  Anyways I found an old video camera (VHS) for about $10 bucks and bought it.

The next day I unscrewed all the parts and pieces looking for useful parts for my marcobinoculars.  I finally got down to the lens itself and got that part out among other components.  Then I took the Tank Assault apart to see what was inside; after stripping everything out I was ready to build my macrobinoculars.

I used a hole saw with my drill to cut out a circular hole to fit the lens from the video camera into.  I tried several different lenses to see if I could magnify the view like a pair of binoculars.  Nothing really worked so I smashed out the lens with a hammer.

I purposelessly offset the lens to add greeblies on either side.  A lot of the day was waiting for glue to set and dry before moving on.  I alternated between these macrobinoculars and my LC sniper rifle.

I then added greeblies to it and made it look different from the original game and closer to the Stormtrooper macrobinoculars seen in the first image.  Most of the parts were pulled out of the video camera, but some were from recognizable components of screen accurate props.  Such as the white plumbing pipe connector thingy seen above.

I then painted it to similar environmental/in-universe colours to my sniper rifle and LC bucket; greens, tans, browns, and blacks.  The next day I went in with some acrylic paints and added touch-ups to make it more detailed and unique.

The cobalt blue part on the front, I’d like to think is a mic to pick up sound in addition to the lens for sight.  It will need some more work before I think it is complete, but thought I’d share it with y’all for reference.  More weathering is needed, as per BRL seen below:

Substantial environmental weathering that suggests prolonged exposure to the elements (no pristine kits) – Hunters get dirty stalking through the woods or crawling through the sand, and your kit must reflect this. Keep in mind, a profession like this wouldn’t have much demand in urban areas.  Most of your jobs will be in the Outer Rim or in frontier areas where luxuries like baths and electricity are not common.

I’ll need to either add a strap or pouch for these to be part of my kit, something to figure out down the road after I’ve got some armour.

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2016, 08:34 AM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Tried some different configurations for chest armour, but nothing seems to be fitting my kit just right.  7/3/2016

So taking a break from trying to figure out my chest and back plates I worked on my shoulder bells, helmet, macrobinoculars, and a LC sniper rifle.

Concept #3 (see image below), waiting to hear when The Mandalorian Arsenal will start selling individual pieces (Ramikadyc armour).  I just need the chest plate, ab plates, and back plate for my kit.  I also conceptualized an alternative air tank(s) for the back of my kit.  This design should give me more of the mobility I was looking for in armour and closer to the Brigade aspect I am shooting for with Beast Hunter.

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2016, 04:55 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Update 11/5/2016: I've bought armour from The Mandalorian Arsenal for the Ramikadyc plates.  I only bought the pieces I need for my kit: chest plate, back plate, abdominal/kidney plates, and cod piece.  Should be shipped out in a couple of weeks and then I can get my design based off the above picture (in previous post) in correlation with these and move forward on my kit.  I've got plans in my head for a back apparatus for my helmet hoses to go into as well; more to follow.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2016, 05:26 PM »
Update: 11/13/2016

I bought a tool belt pouch from Harbor Freight several months ago and some cable snares more recently from eBay.

I converted it into my macrobinocular belt pouch.  The pouch itself works also for hanging my cable snares off of.  The snares and pouch still need weathering, I’ll do that with all the soft parts at the same time to get the same effect.

Sort of the way my real leather ammo pouches, belt, and macrobinocular pouch will sit on me.

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2016, 11:43 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2016, 12:08 AM »
Update 11/15/2016 (PIC HEAVY): That armour came quick, I got it a few days ago and just got around to posting my progress since then.  I have pretty much my entire kit, minus a back apparatus for my helmet hose(s) to connect to and probably some leather half chaps for my shins.

A lot of people have mentioned that these plates are small.  I tried them on and they fit very well.  The back plate feels a little small but lines up with the collar plate in size and I can’t say much because I don’t have a back plate with my current kit.

My idea for strapping the chest and back plates together is to use this leather belt I picked up from Wal-Mart for $6.50 in the women's section. I cut it in half to connect my back plate with my chest plate.  I weathered the belt with some light brown paint.  After I had weathered it, I found it is faux leather and doesn’t smell very good burnt.  I’ll run by Lowe’s tomorrow to see what kind of hardware I can find to connect it to my plates.

The first thing I did was flat black the backside of my plates.  This is something I’ve done since putting an acrylic black paint on the inside of my helmet; to me it makes the overall armour cleaner with no white showing.  I then painted the metallic coats on the front of the plates a let it sit over night (roughly 8-10 hours).

The next morning before I left to work I applied several coats of hunter green to my plates and let it dry while at work.

After I got home I applied another coat of paint and set out to working on weathering my soft parts.  I used mostly flat black and dark brown spray paint to weather my “deer” skin gloves.  I choose these gloves because they remind me of a trapper and would work well with my overall beast hunter approach to this kit.

I kept one glove untouched so you could see the comparison between fully weathered and brand new.  After all my paint had been applied I used a little bit of acetone in a few areas to make it look like a stain here and there over the years.

I’ll be running this flight suit through the wash once more.  The greens were made with some paint, grass stains where I smeared it into the grass, or pine branches I rubbed it all over.  The browns are from some paint, dirt, mud, and rubbing it over all the rocks outside.  The greys are from doing an oil change in the flight suit, dust from my garage, and rubbing it across the asphalt outside.

My hard leather green bracers also got the same weathering effects with flat black, light brown, and dark brown paints.  Also smeared in garage/shop dust.  Buckles still need to be trimmed to my arm size with flight suit on.

The next day when I got home from work I heated my knee plates up and bent them to the shape of my knees.  I also added a rusty brown to all the spikes on my shoulder bells and then the weathering process began across all my plates.  I mostly used a dark brown and flat black spray paint to smearing into the scratches/grooves.

In addition to the paint I swept up my garage and used the grime to smear into my plates.  I then used some potting soil to add my grime and weathering to my plates, especially in the crevices.  This is where dirt would build up in real life from tromping around the woods.

A trick I used to get the dirt to stick was to heat the back of the plates up with a heat gun.  This got the paint on the reverse side sticky and the grime adhered better to the plates.  My plates are now done; as far as weathering (the appearance as though I may have slid down a hill in kit, brushed up against a tree or bush, and similar scratches one would get hunting prey).  I’ll be working more on my back plate apparatus for my helmet hoses.  I’m strongly considering only having one hose and a filter on my helmet instead of two.

My flak vest is made from a leather jacket that used to have “earthy” frills down the backside.  I cut the sleeves off and marked out approximately where the bottom abdominal plate would be to make the flak vest shorter.

I will be using straps instead of buttons to secure the back of my flak vest, so I can fasten it over my flight suit.  The collar was also adjusted so it doesn’t press up against my neck.

Below is sort of how my armour will look when secured to the flak vest with velcro.

What should the spacing be between the plates (i.e. the abdominal plate to the chest plate and the abdominal plates to the kidney plates)??

The CRLs say a girth belt is acceptable, but I don't see any reference pictures for one?

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2016, 12:41 AM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2016, 12:19 AM »
Well there isn't a hard and fast rule for crusader era spacing I would say err on the side of similar to modern spacing and you should be fine. Now the plates don't "fit together" as well as modern plates. But go for even spacing across all of the gaps and no to large of a gap and you should be fine

Also excellent weathering!   :D

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2016, 10:34 PM »
Well there isn't a hard and fast rule for crusader era spacing I would say err on the side of similar to modern spacing and you should be fine. Now the plates don't "fit together" as well as modern plates. But go for even spacing across all of the gaps and no to large of a gap and you should be fine

Also excellent weathering!   :D

Thanks, it was fun weathering it.  Good to know on the spacing; I'm going to look at some other LC reference pictures and used the rule of thumb.  My next side project is a back apparatus similar to Rohlan's, but more emphasis on the air tanks.  Any suggestions on what to use for a air filter on the one side of the helmet?

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2016, 06:07 PM »
Update 11/20/2016:

I researched Mandalorian Late Crusader references to figure out how to make my back plate air tank apparatus.

Most of the references I found where too bulky for a beast hunter to use.  I needed something more simplified and agile to my profession.  I also looked at Rohlan’s jet-pack, but it to was bulky.

Working with Naran Baatar and Bowfanny, I threw some concept ideas together.  Nothing stuck out as varying away from the Late Crusader era, so I moved on with my build.

I found these water purification filters for under your kitchen sink that seemed to pop out to me as a usable back apparatus.  They are light weight as well and look like they could be used as “air tanks” for my helmet hose(s).

I drilled holes through the tubes, made base plates out of some scrap 6mm sintra, and lined everything up with my back plate to drill more holes.  I then secured 3 inch bolts with the beveled heads from the inside of the back plate against my back.

I made it so I have two pieces I can attached my helmet hoses to; the top of the small tank and the side of the large tank.  Both are connected with the black hose and can be used for back up if one tank runs out of oxygen.

After I had assembled how the back apparatus would work, I began painting.  Starting with a metallic under coat.  Since my kit is mostly green, I decided to use a yellow as my primary colour.  Then the weathering began with spray paints in brown colours, dust from the garage, and dirt from a potted plant.

The weathered yellow and green complimented my kit well.  The yellow is seen in the Star Wars universe on for example a Naboo N-1 Starfighter or the landspeeder Anakin used in Attack of the Clones.  I can't pin point an exact reference right now to an environmental yellow, but with it weathered as it is I should be able to find something.  I also placed a hook on my helmet that holds my hose down and out of the way for better head movement.

I really like how the apparatus turned out, it definitely screams Late Crusader even though there are not references to something like this.  It also follows the low-tech kit for the Brigade requirement: "A low-tech kit is recommended – Once again, you would likely be away from your ship and civilization for days or weeks at a time and usually alone in the wilderness or in primitive settlements, so do-dads that draw power, need fuel or require frequent maintenance are discouraged."

Excuse the yellow t-shirt, it is throwing off the apparatus colour a little bit.  Next step is to figure out my flak vest and whether or not I’ll use one (since it isn’t required by CRLs).  I can wear the chest and back plate with my leather strapping over my flight suit no problem; but my shoulder bells, kidney plates, and abdominal plate need to be held in place.  Maybe the front part will come done from the chest plate to hold everything up and then leather straps across the back under the back plate??  I don’t know yet.

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2016, 11:52 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:09 AM »
Update 11/21/2016: I started attaching plates, following the same spacing as I laid out in my last post.  There is not reference to how far about this armour is supposed to be and I decided to use a little bit wider spacing between the abdominal plate and kidney plates.  This was because I wanted my kidney plates to actually cover my sides under the arm; against my rib cage. 

I ran out of Velcro, though and will need to get more to work with the back and chest plates.  I also need to work on my lower armoured parts (i.e. cod and knees) and the soft waist parts.  Ideally I'd like to be able to fasten my ammo/macrobinocular belt with girth, sash, and cod piece in place.  I'll also need to trim back my hard bracers with the excess strap lengths and the right shoulder belt should come up to be even with the left shoulder, when I pull the collar up towards my neck line.  I plan to have some velcro under the leather strapping to hold up the flak vest better, or something to that effect.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:14 AM »
Spacing looks good vod!, but that girth belt looks a bit loose  :P

But really it is really coming together nicely, keep up the good work

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2016, 11:33 PM »
Spacing looks good vod!, but that girth belt looks a bit loose  :P

Ya, that ^ ^ would be because I just tucked it under my ammo belt for the picture.  :)

Update 11.22.16:  Ran out of velcro last night and quickly threw everything on.  The girth belt was tucked under my ammo belt and needed leather strapping.  So first thing I did when I got home from work today was make strapping for the girth belt.

I then put on everything I have assembled together.  I’m still missing my knee plates w/strapping, I could not find my balaclava, my half chaps are coming in on Friday (they and my boots will need weathering), and my back plate still needs some velcro to hold it up closer to my neck.

Through all this, I've also realized our guest bathroom mirror needs to be cleaned.

My conceptual drawings are starting to match my kit everyday now.

Please comment on anything you are seeing that I should fix now, I’m getting closer to completing my kit.  I’d like to fix the little things while I have the motivation to do it.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2016, 11:48 PM »
Well as I am sure you are well aware you have some neck meat poking out. But really this is a very solid kit and with the level of effort you have put into it I find it unlikely that you are going to run into any issues. But don't worry I will keep a close eye on your build for any unweathered threading or other sneaky little things that might try and slip by.

Karl Dha'Werda

Re: Late Crusader WIP Soft Parts, Knees, & Bone Knife
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2016, 03:33 PM »
Update 11/24/2016:  I had originally made this neck seal for my wife’s kit back in July 2016.  She recently switched to a navy blue flight suit and no longer needed the yellow balaclava.  When I had ordered her yellow one, I also ordered a tan one for my LC kit.  Now I’m almost done with my LC kit and can’t find the balaclava anywhere.  I heavily used tan, light brown, and dark brown spray paints on the neck portion of it and after a wash/dry it now is the correct colour of my flight suit.

The top part is still yellow, but no one will see that with my helmet on.

It now covers my neck with my helmet on making it a completely sealed suit.  I also weathered it some more to match the rest of my kit.

The last soft part I am waiting for it my half chaps to protect my shins and cover up my boots.  Since my boots are similar height to Boba’s shoes, I’ll need these half chaps to cover the tops of them.

Yesterday I finished the leather strapping on my knees.

Velcro was added to the knees to keep them in place in addition to the leather strapping.

This is what they look like on my kit (see image below).  The right knee is slightly crooked, I hope to resolve this with my half chaps positioning the material of my flight suit straighter.

Back in June 2016, I sat down to make a knife out of 6mm Sintra.  I based it off a few Buck knifes that I own.

After I had cut it out of the Sintra it started to resemble a blade.  I carved the blade part with my razor blade and found a wood handle of an old cooking pot at the thrift store.

When I had painted it a flat black and assembled the cooking pot handle it looked like a pretty good melee weapon for my Mandalorian beast hunter kit.

It was quite flexible and con-friendly safe, but didn’t feel right for my kit.  For one the handle was quite large in my hand and felt like I was ironically holding up a cooking pot, not a knife.

For months I contemplated how to make this knife work with my kit.  I finally decided I was going to buy one of those bone knifes off eBay or something to use for my kit, but I would need a sheath for it.

I went to Wal-Mart today to get some last minute supplies for Thanksgiving and was browsing through the camping/outdoors section when I came upon a knife with a sheath.  It was less than $10, so I grabbed it thinking I could salvage the sheath or something.

Looking over the knife itself, I decided to make it con-friendly and duller than a butter knife.  This thing is more blunt and square than a butter knife now.

After making it intentionally dull, I started to work on the handle.  I had already removed the “earthy” hand grips.  I painted the blade a brass/gold colour and added black weather tints to the blade itself.  Then I painted the handle a cream tan and bone white.  I weathered the handle with dirt and brown spray paints.  Similar to how I made the bone spikes that on the ridge of my helmet.

I added leather strapping to the bone knife as a means to make it look like it was assembled using this strapping.  I also replaced the flimsy snap vinyl strapping with a heavy duty snap on leather strapping.  The sheath, I converted into a leather sheath with leftover pieces from my flak vest.

The leather sheath and bone knife now sit between two leather pouches on my belt, opposite of my macrobinoculars and cable snares.

My half chaps are sitting at the post office right now, as well as some gauntlets from Dresdon for my current kit and will be both be delivered tomorrow.  These half chaps are the last piece of my kit and then I'll be taking pre-app pictures on Saturday with my clan Alor'ad, Tiric Keel.

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016, 03:48 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!