Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Late Crusader Helmet WIP (geared towards beast hunter)

• 6 Replies

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
The following were PMs in regards to a helmet/bucket I was looking into purchasing.  Figured it may be helpful for those looking for the same thing in the future.  This will also be my thread for my bucket WIP, along with the rest of my kit found HERE

It was suggested by my clan if this was an acceptable helmet for the Late Crusader Era?

I was wondering if I purchased a Rohlan Dyres helmet from Bigwater99 on Etsy.com if it would be approvable for a late crusader bucket?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/235548270/rohlan-dyre-full-size-11-scale-helmet

I believe Ref Al'drann used it for his Rohlan Dyres kit back in 2012.

That looks very Late crusader to me.  Double check with app team as well to be safe.

Who on the App Team should I contact?  I sent a message to Ref Al'drann and haven't heard back.

ConDar just gave it a thumbs up

I also asked a similar question on Mandalorian Q&A and got this response from Raestin:

Quote from: Raestin
You can use it "as is" for a canon Rohlan Dyre build, but if you plan to use it for a custom LC, then you would need to modify it a good bit, as it is a very recognizable helmet

I then PM'ed him this question:

When you say modify by quite a bit from the canon character to a late crusader helmet, what do you mean?

My current plan is to paint it different, what are acceptable colours for late crusader?  I was thinking a hunter green for most of it with a tan or brown for accents as seen in the image above.  I also want to continue the spikes from the back up over the top towards the front.  Take away the ear piece on my concept, more research proved it was a modern era addition.  I also want to have two air hoses come out the cheeks/face of the helmet and go a backpack air box/compressor thingy.  Would this be enough modification or do you suggest some other mods?

Any other suggestions to my current concept with armour or the general layout at this point would be helpful.

I double checked with Ref. Your plan sounds perfect, so rock on ner'vod. Colors are pretty wide open on LC, so you're fine there. I really look forward to seeing how things go!!!!   :D

Update: My Rohlan Dyre full size 1/1 scale helmet was ordered on 6/24/2016 and I look forward to working on this new kit.  I also should have checked here before jumping all around the forums trying to figure it out: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=72583.0  As it clearly states "Big_Water99 Rohlan Dyre: Late Crusader/Early Crusader"

Here is a concept idea for my bucket (again geared towards beast hunter):

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2016, 12:29 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Karl Dha'Werda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Late Crusader Helmet WIP (geared towards beast hunter)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2016, 01:17 PM »
UPDATE: My helmet arrived on 7/19/2016:

The first question I asked the vendor was “any recommendations to what to use for the spikes on the back end seen in your picture?”

His response was “I make them out of epoxy sculpt even supersculpy will work the epoxy will be stronger material but either will work just fine then super glue them on.”

I found this bucket of air hardening clay to sculpt the spikes/claws/talons going down the back of my helmet.  I may even experiment the idea of the jawbones out of this stuff, depending on how well it works.

I picked up the air hoses at Lowe’s to connect to my helmet.  Metal braided 30″ hoses with brass fittings.  I’ll add washers and nuts on the inside & washers on the outside of the helmet to keep the brass fittings in place.  I may go back and just get one sided threaded fittings and space washers between the two sides of the helmet, which would be less weight on the fiberglass.

I think it would be fun to have the air hoses functional with a cooling system on my back, we'll see. . .the back plate metal cooling systems I have yet to figure out, but will have a brass T-fitting for the hoses to connect to and then go into the system.

Started using the air hardening clay this evening to sculpt the spikes/claws going down the center of the helmet (just like my conceptual design).

Brigade requirement states: No Ornamental Ridges, Blades and/or Mohawks, only low Profile ridges Similar to Episode II Clones Helmets.  The spike/claw profile ridge is lower than the ridge on the clone helmets.

I then experimented with the idea of the jawbones out of this clay after looking at every kind of jawbone from dinosaur to coyote.  I’m going to let both the spikes and jaws dry for a few days.  Then I’ll see how well it turned out; probably sanding down a few details and shaping them more into what I’d like to see.  After everything is dried, sanded, & shaped I'll use an adhesive to stick everything on the helmet and line it all up.

I’m debating to fasten the hoses to the rear of the helmet, sort of like Roki did with his helmet.  This would give me more movement, but I would need to return the 30″ hoses and go for something shorter.  Mainly don’t want it to interfere with the jawbones on the helmet.

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2016, 01:23 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2016, 09:14 AM »
That looks awesome.

You could make the hoses work in the front  and have less interference with the jaw bones if you do a joint mounting in the back of the helmet, maybe shorten the front hoses a bit, although to be honest it may detract from the look of the design.

Not familiar enough with the Crusaders to give much more advice for that, otherwise I might suggest having the hose hook right into the back of the jaw line, straight on from behind (as opposed to from the sides or anything)

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2016, 10:56 PM »
I started painting on 7/26/16.  One or two coats before work and then one to two coats of a different paint after work.  Drying time was roughly 8-10 hours.  Metallic primer coat went on over the primer.  I then painted on my hunter green as the overall base coat.

The hunter green has a beautiful finish on this helmet, I really like it.

I painted the dome and ear area a army green.  The cheeks/face area was with this grass green.  Not too thrilled with the colour, distracts too much from the environmental colours of beasthunter.  The clay for my jawbones is dried out though.

I coated my bones with a cream colour paint, added slight brown undertones, and finished off with a sandy gritty tan colour.  I also repainted the cheeks/face area with a mud/chocolate brown colour and added two stripes on either side of the center line.  This will allow me to figure out where my bone spikes will go.

The bone/claw/talon spikes turned out amazing.  I used a butter knife with the slight serrated edge to carve off the sandy gritty tan paint, which revealed the brown undertone.  They really look like bone/antler material now.

The stripes down the center of the helmet turned out quite well and even work to break up the solid army green dome a bit.  The brown cheeks/face area also work well to set the right mood.  I used my brass fittings from Ace Hardware with a few washers to screw from the inside out (after making two holes with an 3/4″ wood bit on my drill).  I still need to figure out how the hoses will not get in the way when I turn from side to side, but they are in and I decided not to do it like Roki’s bucket because it needed to fit into the Late Crusader Era still.

I then used a 2-part quick set epoxy to adhere my bone spikes to the top of my helmet.  They are irregular in size, but it makes it more authentic this way.  Whoever heard of a beast with perfect teeth/claws?

After some thought and wearing it around the house, the jawbones are a no go.  They don’t work with the kit I’m going for.  I then went outside and rubbed the helmet over everything.  Through the brush, through tree branches, across a boulder, in some sand, the grass, and random objects in my garage.

The effect is priceless, it really makes it look like a beasthunter, who has been through the thicket hunting prey.  The last thing I needed to do before completing the helmet was to pop in the visor.  I used Sentinel’s method of using Velcro to attach the visor.  It worked really well in my first kit and my wife’s kit.

I also smeared black, brown, and rust colours into my metal braided hose to give it the same weathering effect.

The only thing I have left is to figure out how to get the hoses to get to my back apparatus and still be able to move my head from side to side.  On a really good note, those side brass fittings allow enough air in that my visors isn't fogging up.  There is so much room in this bucket, that I'll probably get some fan kits and maybe a voice amplifier in there.  Padding will also be used.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Update 11/20/2016: Toying with some ideas the other day and thought about removing one of the hose and adding an air filter in its place.  Reason behind the idea was to gain better mobility when moving my head left to right, up and down.

The piece I decided to use was from a VHS video camera (which I gutted to get greeblies for my macrobinoculars) microphone.  The speaker mesh, “air filter” looked the right fit.  I removed the hose from the connection and glued the microphone to the connector piece, wa la.  It worked perfectly.  As you can see below, Rohlan has a similar set up on his helmet as well as countless other Late Crusader Mandalorians.

I played around with the idea and decided to put it on the opposite side as Rohlan’s which worked better with my back apparatus.

This image looks funky, because I spliced two different images together to show you how it looks with the back apparatus.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2016, 11:59 PM »
Update 11/21/2016:  Added "claw marks" another beast hunter brigade requirement.  It also tells a story of why I have an air filter on that side of my helmet.  It was because I used to have two hoses.  I was attacked by a Gharzr, also known as a Dxunian stalker on the forest moon of Dxun several years ago while hunting this beast and it torn off my left hose.

You'll notice that this beast has four claws, instead of the other commonly known forest predator the Nexu with three claws.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Good on you for going with four claw marks instead of the three. Being that the nexu only native too one backwater planet they do sure get around a LOT  :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!