Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Valkir's BL-28 series blaster WIP (SWTOR Based)

• 9 Replies
Valkir's BL-28 series blaster WIP (SWTOR Based)
« on: Jun 27, 2016, 07:43 AM »
So…. Then this happened…

I got tired of sanding and priming, but I will get more pics of the bucket shortly… ears and all.
You can see the armor build here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=92998.0

I felt like doing a bit of CAD work this evening and went through SWTOR collections to find a Swarsian weapon that I could use for pistol/carbine/rifle. I wanted something that looked old school and looked like the kind of weapon you see in the films, so something that used real world weapon parts in the design.

I settled on the BL-28 series, with its nod to the Lee Enfield…. I like wood :P

I felt the design was a little plain so I added a similar bolt action as the Lee Enfield and a logical resonance chamber disconnect to the left side of the weapon, pull the little pin, swing the leaver up and the chamber would drop free. It’s not done but you can see the progress here.

I currently have it designed with a working bolt action that forces the hammer back when cycled. When in rifle/carbine mode with the stock, the hammer will not be seen as it is hidden by the stock extension.

I am thinking of casting the receiver up in white metal and using real wood grips, stock and fore end. I will 3D print it, clean up the print and create a mold, If I can get away with it I will cast it in hard pewter, something about the same as zinc casting (pot metal airsoft equivalent) If that does not go well I will just do an aluminum filled resin cast,

Any whoo… enjoy. I will try to get shots of the bucket up tomorrow.

Game renders:

Renders of my work:
This is just the receiver, no barrel etc. I am trying to design it so that I can choose the weapon I want and lock the correct front barrel assembly and stock in place.

I would imagine the bolt action allows you to load a power supply into that front section with the round light (resonance chamber?), the hammer would be a safety, or power disconnect, with the hammer cocked, the weapon would not fire, I am thinking of it like a circuit breaker, the hammer would need to be down on the bolt to complete the circuit. Makes sense to me at least :P

Den Barren

• Meg cuyir ogir at akaanir a te akaan Tio'r.
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Valkir's BL-28 series blaster WIP (SWTOR Based)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2016, 10:51 AM »
I like the designs! :)

"Tion ke'gyce ner kad al'ijaat?"~What guides my sword if not honor?

Backstory
WIP Links
YouTube Mando Armor Tutorial Channel
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2016, 04:17 AM »
A bit more progress on the models.

I created the scope and scope mount, the pistol barrel assembly and the carbine (SWTOR blaster rifle version). Although I think I prefer my carbines with a stock… what-du-ya think, with or without stock?

P.S. the latest helmet picks are up... just follow the link in my signature.

Classic SWTOR BL-28 Blaster Rifle

My carbine version with stock

Den Barren

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2016, 04:37 AM »
I absolutely love it vod! And I vote with stock as well. :)

Backstory
WIP Links
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2016, 04:45 AM »
I absolutely love it vod! And I vote with stock as well. :)

Thank you Den, yeah a rifle without a stock just does not seem right to me.

BTW, you are up late... I keep Batman's hours so I did not expect to see you on here, not sure what time zone you are in but its about 1:45 AM PST here :)

Den Barren

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2016, 04:51 AM »
Thank you Den, yeah a rifle without a stock just does not seem right to me.

BTW, you are up late... I keep Batman's hours so I did not expect to see you on here, not sure what time zone you are in but its about 1:45 AM PST here :)

Yeah! lol I'm pretty much a night owl. I seem to think clearer at night for some reason. ;D It's 4:49 AM EST here which is also like an hour ahead of my normal time cause I'm out of town. I'm usually on CST.  :) I'll sleep till noon probably.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2016, 05:07 AM by Den Barren » Logged

Backstory
WIP Links

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2016, 12:27 PM »
I like the direction this is going!  ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Den Barren

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Are you planning to make these to sell, or just make us jealous? :P

Backstory
WIP Links
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2016, 07:37 PM »
Are you planning to make these to sell, or just make us jealous? :P

I could, but a metal version would be very pricey. If I go that rout, I anticipate a bit over $100.00 just in metal costs, add to this the wood stock, my time etc. and it gets unreasonable for all but a few collectors.

A resin solid cast would be fairly reasonable but you would loos the working mechanism. I will look at it and see if splitting it down the center and doing a left and right half of the weapon is suitable to keep the bolt action and trigger as working components as well as allowing internal space for lights and sound kit...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!