Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My First WIP

• 31 Replies

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
My First WIP
« on: Jul 02, 2016, 07:15 PM »
So i am a brand new maker of armor and i have been looking around and finally got this cut out. So far it is just the paper but i wanted to know if the spacing looked okay and eveything. I think the chest plate needs to be a little smaller but what does everyone else think? Any Tips are also good! In the process i have someone making my vest currently too so the size of the chest armor may not have to change!

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: My First WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2016, 07:31 PM »
So first off you are right your plates are too large. You shoulder bells however are fine size wise.

However your collar could stand to be just a bit smaller, and your chest plates and thus your ab plate really should be a bit smaller. I would take a quarter inch off from the plates and go from there.

As for spacing you want to use the rule of them you want enough space between your collar to chest plate and chest plate to ab plate that you can fit your thumb. It is also helpful to remember the lines you are working from you want the inside of your collar plate to side along the line of your collarbone and you want the bottom of your ab plate to side right above your navel. Once you have those positions fixed it is pretty straightforward to insure that your plates are both the right size and that they are spaces right.

Another thing to keep in mind that it is very very common to have to use more than one size of templates for your plates. I have known people that have used four or more different sized templates to get patterns for plates to fit their body.

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2016, 09:26 PM »
Okay thank you so much! I'll try the 4' printout for the templates and if that doesn't work I'll try and make my own

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2016, 12:25 AM »
This is the color scheme I was thinking of doing as well. what do people think!?

Taakur Beroya

• Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2016, 01:23 AM »
Looking good vod. Good luck on your kit

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2016, 01:53 PM »
Half awake but I checked with people and here is the updated armor templates! finally the right sizes and now all i have to start doing is tracing on sintra and cutting them out!

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2016, 04:09 PM »
So today I put some paint on sintra just too see how it would come out before i made my offial one and heat it and bend it and everything. So what do people think of the scheme?

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2016, 04:16 PM »
Looks good. Just make sure you do all your heating and shaping before you paint you real plates

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2016, 07:26 PM »
Update, Finally GOT MY HELMET!!!!!! Time to start cutting off extra stuff

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2016, 08:17 PM »
Nice vod

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Well good news! My friend finished my vest so i can finally start figuring out armor AND I did work to the bucket last night. Got all the access off of the bottom and sanded it down, now the hard part...... getting the visor vut out!

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2016, 06:42 PM »
Vest looks good and you cleaned up the helmet really well.

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2016, 09:35 PM »
Last update of the night! All cut out. Small little bit of sanding to do then painting my first layer! Also thanks for the support. This is my first time ever using a drummel and ever doing something like this

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2016, 10:50 PM »
For your first time with a dreamel it looks really good vod.

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #14 on: Jul 20, 2016, 09:33 AM »
keep up the good work vod! you will get there ^^

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2016, 06:42 PM »
Alright Mandalorians! Here is my finished helmet! (minus the visor, and insite padding and ears.)

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2016, 06:49 PM »
This looks awesome vod, I really love your layered weathering. What color are you thinking of going with for the visor?

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2016, 07:01 PM »
I am thinking black but if you have a color you think would look cooler i would love a suggestion

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #18 on: Jul 21, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Black sounds good, even a dark red or maybe chrome would look good.

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #19 on: Oct 08, 2016, 11:19 PM »
Hey all sorry for not updating for a while. Had an armor party with my local clan!!! got my armor cut out and bent!

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2016, 04:54 PM »
Update!!! Got my armor painted and started sewing my Velcro on my vest.

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2016, 12:43 AM »
Sorry for double post but here is the finished product of my chest armor!!!

Hulahooper

• Lyra Senaar
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Nice paint job, it was great meeting you at the armor party. Looking forward to seeing your continued progress.

Lyra Senaar
The Hulahooping Mandalorian

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #23 on: Oct 12, 2016, 01:50 PM »
Got my helmet fitted with padding and added some Mano'a to my bucket. It says Father/Mother I will be attempting to make my own visor soon. Mirrored chrome ;)

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #24 on: Oct 14, 2016, 01:01 AM »
Finally made my thigh and knee armor next is to make the shins and boots sorry for double post as well

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!