Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Yodamann's Helmet WIP

• 26 Replies
Yodamann's Helmet WIP
« on: Jul 06, 2016, 11:44 PM »
Here we go!

Last summer, I started work on my kit, and it kind of went to the wayside once the school year started up again. During that time, I bought a helmet, it was shipped, it arrived, I cut off the extra resin around the bottom. Things were looking great! I was ready to try it on... and then... it didn't fit. The cheeks were just a tiny bit too far in. I found this guide to reshaping, but never got around to following through until now.

The tools I had to work with. The large pot was where the magic happened. The smaller pot was for boiling so that the large pot would have minimal contact with the stovetop. I used the kettle for similar purposes. The plan was to boil up some water, do the ol' dip and press, and finally have a wearable helmet, about 11 months down the line.

All went according to plan.

It fits now! Sorry about the blur... it's a little hard to take a picture when you can't see yourself.

Sitting pretty.

How's it look? Are the cheeks even? I also plan to fill in the three slots under the visor. But that's work for another day.

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Yodamann's Helmet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2016, 01:25 AM »
Looking good Vod. Cheeks appear to be even.

QMU#084
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2016, 02:31 PM »
Thanks! Do you have any tips on cutting out the T? The large cuts shouldn't be too much trouble, but the tiny edges along the top part are smaller than my rotary cutter, and the resin seems too thick for x-acto.

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Honestly I use an Xacto knife to cut my T-visors out. They take a bit of time but the cuts are clean.

QMU#084
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2016, 04:53 PM »
How many blades?

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC# 1330 & 1330b & TDE#388
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2016, 06:01 PM »

All went according to plan.

It fits now! Sorry about the blur... it's a little hard to take a picture when you can't see yourself.

Sweet it worked!

Thanks! Do you have any tips on cutting out the T? The large cuts shouldn't be too much trouble, but the tiny edges along the top part are smaller than my rotary cutter, and the resin seems too thick for x-acto.

I used a dremel cutting wheel to cut out my visor area on my bucket, it didn't take too long.  I used velcro to keep my visor in there instead of hot glue.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
B.E.A.R.D.S #137
Mando Rider #038
ALUMINATI# 036
MLCS# 026
Mandalorian WIP
OM Troops: 52
Late Crusader 1330b

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2016, 08:02 PM »
One blade generally does the trick unless you break one. Then the whole container!

QMU#084
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2016, 11:45 PM »
Sweet it worked!

I used a dremel cutting wheel to cut out my visor area on my bucket, it didn't take too long.  I used velcro to keep my visor in there instead of hot glue.

I was super excited to be able to wear the darn thing 11 months after purchase. And thanks for the tip. Where's the preferred visor seller?

Tal Akaan

• “Death...he comes for us all. Greet him fiercely.”
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2016, 07:48 AM »
On mine I drilled "relief holes" close to all the corners, used my dremel with cut off wheel to cut up to the holes, and finally used a needle file to finish out the corners of the "T". As far as a visor, I cut mine out of a tinted grinding shield that I bought for around $8

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2016, 07:53 AM »
On mine I drilled "relief holes" close to all the corners, used my dremel with cut off wheel to cut up to the holes, and finally used a needle file to finish out the corners of the "T". As far as a visor, I cut mine out of a tinted grinding shield that I bought for around $8

^^^this^^^^ Amazon or your local welding supply.

QMU#084

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC# 1330 & 1330b & TDE#388
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #10 on: Jul 08, 2016, 09:15 AM »

^^^this^^^^ Amazon or your local welding supply.

Ya, pretty much it is going to be around $10 for a visor.  I got a couple of mine off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770580-Shield-Replacement-Shaded/dp/B002VECKRO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467983596&sr=8-2&keywords=tinted+visor

The only thing to think about it getting one that may be too much of a green and it will distort everything you see.  For example a green Furry at one of the cons I went to I kept referring to as the blue one.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
B.E.A.R.D.S #137
Mando Rider #038
ALUMINATI# 036
MLCS# 026
Mandalorian WIP
OM Troops: 52
Late Crusader 1330b

Tal Akaan

• “Death...he comes for us all. Greet him fiercely.”
« Reply #11 on: Jul 08, 2016, 09:34 AM »
The Hobart in the picture above is a smoke/gray tint, just like wearing a big, heavy, hot pair of sunglasses!  ;D

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2016, 04:33 PM »
I had some excellent luck at a garage sale yesterday, and I picked up an rotary tool for $5! So I immediately put it to work grinding down the flash on my helmet ear caps/antenna.

One piece in the vice grips while I got the shape roughly where I wanted it

The antenna. THis is the side that will be against the helmet.

All the other pieces. I need some filler on top of the rangefinder bit, and the other ones will be against the helmet, so I was planning on filling in the gaps once they were stuck onto the helmet. What is the best time to attach them, before or after painting the main helmet?

« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2016, 12:05 AM »
Check it out, I've made some slight progress!

After a grand ol time grinding down bits, I've now done some filling/JB welding.

Ear cap top has been affixed. There's gonna be some grinding to fix that goop in the rotate-y hole.

And here we have the antenna and rangefinder with my trusty heat gun which was used in the other progress I made tonight, see my sintra WIP thread for more details.

So after these finish curing, it's back to sanding and hoping that I don't need to do more filling. Then cleaning up the main helmet.

« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2016, 01:01 PM »
I've done some filling work on the earcap bits and bobs.

I think this one could use another round of filler, but it is coming pretty well.

Added some filler to this bit. The bottom scootched a bit while it was curing, but a little filler fixed that all up.

Just look at that plane!

Also, my visor came in the mail!

Time for some more shameless self promotion, there's a bit of progress over at my plates thread too!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!