Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ori Mir'sheb bucket WIP

• 21 Replies

Sevro

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 10 official invasions.
Ori Mir'sheb bucket WIP
« on: Jul 09, 2016, 05:13 PM »
Now that my lady-friend and daughter are taken care of, it is finally MY turn to get started! Going to go for a scratch build. Here is the design I am currently tweaking. Kind of a Frankensteining of different models. I already got the thumbs up from the app team, so hopefully construction should begin in a few days. Sorry about the poor coloring. My kid's markers are running out.

The red and blue paint will be a bit darker and deeper than this. Using this hard hat for a base (vents on top will be very nice):

As always, wide open to feedback and improvements! Thanks!

Billy Becker
OM #1668
Ruus'alor
Haran'galaar Clan, San Diego, CA

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
Re: Ori Mir'sheb bucket WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2016, 07:48 PM »
I like it!! Looks like a mix of the juggernaut helmet and NME Assasin, definitely going to be watching This one!

Taakur Beroya

• Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2016, 08:10 PM »
I love the cheeks and the visor vod, this is gonna be great.

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."

Sevro

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2016, 11:07 PM »
Thanks vod'e! I'm pretty excited to finally get going. Hopefully it turns out at least little bit like it looks in my head. As of now, she's starting to look like a helmet!

Should be able to get the earcaps going tomorrow, and then start glassing.

Billy Becker
OM #1668
Ruus'alor

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2016, 01:13 AM »
Thanks vod'e! I'm pretty excited to finally get going. Hopefully it turns out at least little bit like it looks in my head. As of now, she's starting to look like a helmet!

Should be able to get the earcaps going tomorrow, and then start glassing.
Clever use of the dome ridge detailing there Vod. I think yours is the first I've seen turned that way. Can't wait to see the progress on this.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Sevro

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2016, 01:37 PM »
Clever use of the dome ridge detailing there Vod. I think yours is the first I've seen turned that way. Can't wait to see the progress on this.

Many thanks, vod. I spent the better part of a day looking at it both ways. I'm glad I went with it backwards. I think it gives it more of a swept back kind of vibe.

Billy Becker
OM #1668
Ruus'alor

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2016, 04:02 PM »
It looks natural that way,

QMU#084

Sevro

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2016, 12:49 AM »
I'm going to take a bit of a calculated risk here. In order to improve airflow and hearing ability, I cut out the center of the earcaps and put in some fine mesh screening. My hope is that it will blend pretty well once the bucket is painted and put on. I'll see how it looks after the primer stage. Worst case scenario, I can always make new earcaps that are solid and will cover the holes in the helmet.

Billy Becker
OM #1668
Ruus'alor

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2016, 10:45 PM »
Really digging that design!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Bowfanny

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2016, 12:23 AM »
See if you can add another layer of that mesh diagonally to the first to impede more sight through the earcaps. These are supposed to be sealed spacesuits after all.

QMU#084

Sevro

« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2016, 09:46 AM »
See if you can add another layer of that mesh diagonally to the first to impede more sight through the earcaps. These are supposed to be sealed spacesuits after all.
That, sir, is a stellar point. I should have thought of that before-hand. There's plenty of room for more screen layers, so I should be able to close it up. Thanks!

Edit:
As per Bowfanny's advice, I added more screening diagonal to the first layer, and decreased the diameter of the opening and increased the depth of the earcap. I also added some blue leds that glare out the screening so it looks solid underneath. Does it seem like overkill?

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2016, 05:56 PM by crackerbasket » Logged
Billy Becker
OM #1668
Ruus'alor

Sevro

« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2016, 07:56 PM »
I think she's ready for some paint!

Billy Becker
OM #1668
Ruus'alor

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2016, 08:01 PM »
Looks really good vod, it has like an aggressive nite owl look with the point and the sharp angles on the cheeks. Are you thinking of making casts of this helmet vod  :rolleyes:

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."

Sevro

« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2016, 11:23 AM »
Looks really good vod, it has like an aggressive nite owl look with the point and the sharp angles on the cheeks. Are you thinking of making casts of this helmet vod  :rolleyes:

Thanks, vod! Making a cast crossed my mind, but then I remembered that I have no idea how to do that. :laugh:

Billy Becker
OM #1668
Ruus'alor

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2016, 12:36 PM »
There are lots of good tutorials on YouTube for roto casting and slush casting molds and there are plenty of members who make casts, you can ask saz, Bowfanny and droodles for tips.

Bowfanny

« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2016, 01:13 PM »
There are lots of good tutorials on YouTube for roto casting and slush casting molds and there are plenty of members who make casts, you can ask saz, Bowfanny and droodles for tips.
I actually LOL'd seeing my name there. But I do know what I am doing so it's legit.

QMU#084

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2016, 01:27 PM »
What are you talking about bow, you're pretty much the helmet master :laugh:

Bowfanny

« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2016, 02:27 PM »
What are you talking about bow, you're pretty much the helmet master :laugh:
Lol I've been found out!

QMU#084

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2016, 03:38 PM »
Lol either way you're in goods hands with casting cracker.

Sevro

« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2016, 11:46 PM »
Ok, I think she's done! The mandibles and earcaps are dark blue, but the poor lighting makes them look black. The light on the small antenna blinks, so that's why it's on it some pics and off in others:

And an accessory for formal occasions:

Billy Becker
OM #1668
Ruus'alor

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2016, 02:23 PM »
Nice helmet!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Mojo Khuriso

• "Ni copikla gar runi"-I desire your soul
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2016, 03:09 PM »
Very impressive vod!!!

I can smell your fear...this hunt will be all too easy...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!