Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Best way for coloring soft parts?

• 6 Replies

Jaxor

Best way for coloring soft parts?
« on: Jul 29, 2016, 02:39 PM »
Dying, painting, or another way?  Particularly flight suits and vests.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Best way for coloring soft parts?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2016, 07:10 PM »
What color is it and what color do you want? Dyeing is the only way to go, but you can't dye any color to any other color. Paint won't really work for changing the color of fabric unless you want to look like you got paint all over your clothes.

Jaxor

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Not quite sure yet on the specifics of the color.  I don't have any of my soft parts yet, and probably won't for a while.  I've got some ideas, but right now I'm focusing on the helmet, which is a project which might take a few months.  I just wanted to know the hows, since I was curious, and everyone here is super helpful.  Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2016, 09:42 AM »
Also, depending on the material you're using, not all fabrics (like most polyesters/synthetics) will take a dye, or if they do, they require extra work or dyes specifically meant to work with the fabric.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Jaxor

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2016, 11:07 AM »
Thank you!  That's some important info I wouldn't know otherwise.  I live in Florida, so preferably I can find fabrics that breathe a little more than polyester.

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2016, 12:35 PM »
Cotton is easy to dye, especially if you start with a white.

As for your flightsuit, unless you want one that is a really wild color, I suggest that you go with scrubs and don't worry about dyeing it.  They're inexpensive, comfortable, and easily available (look at an uniform or industrial supply store, or even a place that only sells scrubs).  Plus, they also come in a wide variety of colors.

As long as the top and bottoms match is color and material, they'll be fine for your flightsuit.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Jaxor

« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2016, 07:30 PM »
Yeah my local clan told me something along similar lines.  Scrubs seem to be the way to go.

It's gonna be hot regardless, because it's Florida, but yeah anything to fight that.  Last thing I want is to heat stroke and mess up my kit.

And, er, the whole heat stroke thing.

Question, any tips on how to make scrubs look more like a flightsuit?  Elastic at the ends, that sort of thing?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!