Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Painting Question

• 7 Replies
Painting Question
« on: Aug 04, 2016, 01:56 AM »
So I have been researching and have not found a real clear answer. Working on my armor.... about at the painting stage here. Hers what I am wanting... The armor is primered with Duplicolor self etching primer. Looks great (well for primer anyway) Now I am wanting to paint it. I am thinking about a dark red armor... but making it still shine if that makes sense. Is Rub and Buff ok with duplicolor? If I placed silver leaf on the primer.... then a duplicolor red on top of the rub and buff? Does that work?

As stupid as it sounds I have next to no experience with painting... well.... anything

Thanks in advance!

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Painting Question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2016, 02:35 AM »
Rub n buff is made from wax so paint isn't really going to adhere to it.

NiteWolf

• Rann Novon Cat#-2088
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2016, 03:07 AM »
if you use one of dupli-colors metallic paints like the crome then use there red metal cast it should work sense you won't me mixing paint brands.

Here is a link to there whole line of products. http://duplicolor.com/product/

Concordia Clan Ruus'alor Sol'yc - 2020
Concordia Clan Ruus'alor - 2021

DAK Beroya

• Awards 40+ hrs of charity work Family events Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2016, 05:02 AM »
So I have been researching and have not found a real clear answer. Working on my armor.... about at the painting stage here. Hers what I am wanting... The armor is primered with Duplicolor self etching primer. Looks great (well for primer anyway) Now I am wanting to paint it. I am thinking about a dark red armor... but making it still shine if that makes sense. Is Rub and Buff ok with duplicolor? If I placed silver leaf on the primer.... then a duplicolor red on top of the rub and buff? Does that work?

As stupid as it sounds I have next to no experience with painting... well.... anything

Thanks in advance!
whats your armor made of if its plastic then beat way is primer then silver then your red then to make it shine a clear  lacquer

OM#1498               M.A.R.S. #42
B.O.O.M #26          V.O.T.S # 59
ALUMINATI #39      G.O.M.O.L # 021
D.A.D.M #001         M.A.C.K #29
troops 62 I think
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2016, 11:06 AM »
Great, Thanks for the responses! My armor is 6mm Sintra. So my best bet then is to just use the duplicolors to get the color and effect I want. Awesome, I will begin looking into that.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2016, 01:04 PM »
Seeing as you're already going with Dupli-Color, I'd just find a Red you like and go with that. Just remember to do thin and even coats, to start shooting before the part you're painting and to stop after you're past it. You want a slight overlap for each pass. I highly recommend getting a pistol grip type thingy to put on top of your spray paint can. It makes it so much easier.

Another suggestion, before applying color, and between each coat, I usually go over the whole part with a wet sand using 400 grit. This ensures that any little bumps from dust or paint blowback is done away with and your surface is smooth as glass.

Having said that, and if I understand what you're trying to achieve, sounds like you're trying to do something along the lines of a candy apple and/or metal flake finsh. That'd be where a clear color is applied over a solid (or flaked) base coat to have a glossy, shiny final product. That's usually done with specialty paints applied with a compressed air paint gun rig and is harder than it sounds to achieve. I know guys who paint cars for a living who absolutely hate doing gloss coats for candy apple jobs. I'm sure there's spray can products available out there to do something close to it, but I'd be wary of them. I guess it could also be done with an airbrush and translucent acrylics over opaque acrylics (or enamels, for that matter).

Hope this wasn't too much of a ramble... Let us see what you decide to go with, I know I'm curious!

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2016, 01:27 PM »
I wouldn't recommend painting over Rub'n'Buff - I tried it and got away with it in my ignorance while building my some parts of my kit but the fact that it's carnuba wax-based means that it doesn't grip like paint to the layers under it.  This meant that when I was painting the top coats and using masking tape small sections of the top coats would lift because of the R'n'B underneath.

What I can recommend though is using silver or chrome spray paint, layering up the top coats of colour, doing the dirt washing, sealing with a clear coat and then using a bit of Rub'n'Buff on the centres of the silver painted areas afterwards - that really adds extra depth to the metallics and lustre that goes beyond the silver paint.

And, if after trooping, things are looking a little less metallic - a touch more, rubbed in on top just brings the metal shine back.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2016, 03:13 PM »
Great replies, Thanks for all the help! Gives me a much better idea on what to buy and how to go about painting the armor. I am going to look into these, I may just use rub and buff for my weps then, and stick with duplicolor for my armor

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!