Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My long-awaited, highly anticipated WIP

• 11 Replies
My long-awaited, highly anticipated WIP
« on: Aug 21, 2016, 10:49 PM »
Okay, just long-awaited.  :laugh:

I'm eventually going for a Beastmaster, so my colors are Earth-tones.

I don't have all the pics uploaded yet, so I'll just post them as I get around to it.

Helmet:

Still some sanding to do. The small black marks on the top are guides for the horns that will be added. Any tips on attaching them? They're buffalo horn caps (hollow). I already have them cut down to the correct shape and size.

Vest:

Before I do any sewing on this beautiful leather, what are the recommendations on zipper placement? Back or side?
I haven't decided on the shape of the shoulder bells, yet.

Flight suit:

Disclaimer: I haven't taken any pockets off yet, and haven't tailored anything yet. I've just done weathering.
It's black, not brown, and the weathered spots aren't nearly as brown as the pic. It looks about like an old black dog or cat that's starting to turn brown.

Potential belts and bags:

I'm not happy with any of it, but it will do for now.

Spurs, because Beastmaster:

Authentic WWI Army Officer spurs.

Boots:

The armor itself is still packed in a box. I'll dig it out in the next couple days and get it posted.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
Re: My long-awaited, highly anticipated WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2016, 04:51 PM »
For the zipper, I plan on doing a back, but that's just because I have a huge head. Before you do any work on the "final" vest, I would recommend doing some rough work in a cheap fabric, just to make sure it will fit properly.

Jesper Karr

• 120 kilos of detonite with a hair trigger
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2016, 06:02 PM »
Seconded.  It's a common technique when dealing with expensive materials and/or patterns that take some fitting.  A cheap material like muslin is good for this.  Build a vest with a simple stitch that can be taken apart easily(called a basting stitch). Once it's done, take it apart and use it for your pattern.

Jesper Karr

"At least once in her life, every woman should kiss a dangerous man."

Armor WIP - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80371.0
Soft Parts WIP - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80368.0
Leg wrap tutorial - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70051.msg1061611#msg1061611
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2016, 07:04 PM »
I already did that for the vest. I've made enough sewing mistakes in the past to know that much.  :laugh: It's a little big, but it's much easier to take it in than add material back!

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Got my armor out of the box. The neighbor cat helped.

I haven't weathered the back plate or shins yet. Here's a better look at the weathering I have done:

« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2016, 11:27 PM »
Update!

I finally started sewing. 

I need to buy a zipper for the back, then I'll be able to finish the arms and neck. Then on to darts.

Got the horns on the helmet:

I put the second layer of paint on the helmet, and started weathering:

One of the horns fell off after the picture, so on to plan B for attaching them. I filled them with expanding foam, and wire mesh for extra support. I'll sand that down to a flat surface, then glue it to the helmet. Hopefully that works better than the JB PlasticWeld  did.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2016, 11:29 PM »
Ooooh. Nice spurs! where did you get those? (and the bags)

« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2016, 02:08 PM »
EBay for both. My search terms were "vintage ammo pouch" and "vintage spurs". Including the words vintage or antique seems to make all the difference.

stormfet

• Wampa >> Kyrimorut, they/them
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2016, 03:39 PM »
Your kit looks awesome dude! I love your color scheme for your beast master (I'm going beast master too). I have no idea what I'm talking about as you can tell from my non-official member status, but it looks great to me!

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2016, 09:15 PM »
I've come to the realization that my backplate is too big/the wrong shape. I need more of a taper, since I have a small waist. Should I attempt to cut it down? If so, what would be the easiest (safest) way to do that? The backplate is from K'raam Xrati, so it's heavy.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2016, 06:32 AM »
I think one of my clan had a K'raam that was too wide. They cut it down by taking a strip out of the middle, and pulling the remaining sides inwards and then reattaching the strip down the centre. It allowed them to taper it by pulling the sides in at an angle and to reduce the overall width. Member is Nala if you want to ask.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2016, 03:11 PM »
I had to do something similar for my backplate too. But the back most piece of my back was flat.

It was a wedge shape removed, placed the backplate back together and used the piece I cut out to reinforce the join on the inside. This will then require filling and sanding on the outside though. Something to consider depending on how curved the backplate is overall

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!