Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single helmet

• 7 Replies
So I've started my helmet and wanted to have a WIP to go along with the building process. I have the inner shield and T visor cut from 5 gallon buckets I picked up at a local hardware store and the dome is an old skate helmet I've had lying around for a few years. Here's a quick shot of the pieces so far

I still have a long way to go but I have a quick question first; should I Bondo the holes on the helmet before attaching the shield or wait until it is one piece and Bondo all of it at once?
Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any and all help.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single helmet
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2016, 12:03 PM »
You can or you can wait it's up to you.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2016, 10:42 PM »
So I have everything mocked up with tape at the moment and just wanted to make sure I was on the right track before going any further

Let me know what you think and thanks again.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2016, 03:10 AM »
Add a bit of length to the bucket part if you can simply because I can see your chin/chin hairs and once you add padding in that will become more visible and you don't want that.

QMU#084
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2016, 06:01 PM »
Yeah I was afraid of that when I saw the photo. So I dropped the bucket down on the helmet about 1/2".

Bowfanny

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2016, 07:51 PM »
Like a snickers commercial! Better.

QMU#084
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Sweet, now on to the "fun" part. Any suggestions on attaching the cheek pieces would be greatly appreciated. It is the one part of this whole process that has me stumped and all of the tutorials I've found seem to gloss over how to do it.

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2016, 03:17 PM »
That's because out of the entire helmet the hardest thing to fit correctly is the cheeks especially on a bucket build, however, if you flip the left side to the right side after the cheeks are cut they'll fit the openings so much easier because the curve is already going with the flow of the buckets. Basically you trace your patterns onto the bucket, cut them out, take the left cheek and flip it so it is now the right cheek and vice versa. Keep the lower flat part on the side they started on but the curved part switches. Also start at the back of the cheek aka the flat spot and glue that in and then work the curve. Fiberglass once it's done will save you additional strain if you accidentally drop it.

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!