Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kath's PVC Armor WIP

• 19 Replies

Kath Gra'tuur

• Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Kath's PVC Armor WIP
« on: Sep 28, 2016, 10:19 PM »
Hello all! 

After a bit of a break due to a job change, I am back to working on my first kit.  I had been working on it up until around May but have not been able to dedicate much time to it.  I am slowly getting back into the groove and working on it. I had a WIP string a long time ago but thought I would go ahead and start a new one. 

Here are a couple of overall pictures of my armor kit.  These are a little old.  Some of them have changed a little bit. 

I have also added a back plate which I will take a picture of later this week and gauntles which I will take pictures and explain later as well.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Bes'uliik Clan -  Tennessee  OM #2107

Kath Gra'tuur

Re: Kath's PVC Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2016, 10:32 PM »
Right now I am working on getting the neck armor, shoulder armor, and bicep armor (possibly) in the right placement.  In the past, I have tried to do too many pieces too quickly, so I want to get each part right.  I have a paint scheme on the neck piece which will probably change a little. 

Also, right now, I have the neck piece being attached with velcro.  Once I am happy with shape and position, I am going to use snaps to hold them in place.  (I intend to use snaps on the neck, chest, torso, and back plates). I may continue to use velcro for the shoulders and bicep armor. 

Here is a picture of just the neck piece in place.  You can see on my jump suit, I have velcro sewn on the shoulder and bicep.

Here are a series of pics with shoulder, neck, and bicep pieces:

Just for kicks and giggles, here are a couple with my unfinished bucket:

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2016, 10:35 PM »
My biggest questions right now are these:

* How does the neck armor placement look?
* How does the neck armor shape look?
* How does the size of the shoulder armor look?
* How does the position of the shoulder armor look?
* What are your thoughts on the bicep armor? When I had my jump suit sewn together (it is a set of scrubs), I had the bicep velcro put in place as it was my intention to use bicep armor.  I am not sold on it yet though.  Maybe it is the wrong shape or size? 

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2016, 06:08 PM »
I think the neck armor placement is e size looks ok, but will be judged really on how it lines up with your chest plates.  I am not sure on the shoulders though due to the, being on the flight suit and not the vest.  They seem to sit weird which makes the size hard to tell for me.  I don't think they have to be on the vest, I'm just not going to be able to really judge sorry vod.

hope that is helpful vod.  Good luck, looking forward to seeing this turn out..

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Would it be better to go ahead and stick the chest plates on for reference?

On the shoulders I have seen others where they are not attached to the vest. They may be sitting oddly due to the Velcro. I have not ruled out another form of attachment there either.

Itolia Ulik'vhett

• Meh ni eyayti, ke'viini sosolyc
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2016, 09:51 PM »
I think the shoulders are sitting oddly because your sleeves are really baggy.

OM #1140
M.V.S. #16
M.A.R.S. #9
Oribru Akaata #14

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Thanks Itolia!  Glad to talk with you again. 

On the sleeves, I had a seamstress sew in the "extensions" on a set of scrubs.  Do you have any thoughts on how I could make them not as baggy?  Do you think having the gauntlets on would help to tighten up the sleeves? 

(My other thought was to lift heavy weights and just make my biceps bigger.  :) )

Hiryu02

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2016, 10:22 AM »
If its not an issue to have it tailored again, the seamstress should be able to narrow the sleeves to your specifications. When I had my scrub pants converted into sleeves, I had her narrow the sleeves at the same time.

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

"Only the armor lasts" - RC 8015, Fi Skirata
OM#2184

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2016, 10:32 AM »
I may have to.  I was trying to be cheap as I have already paid her $25 once to do the sleeves and velcro.   8)

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2016, 11:45 AM »
You definitely need to tailor that flight suit. Also, your bucket looks bobbleheaded-ie. Adding pauldrons or some other sort of cover on top of your shoulders can go a long way towards eliminating that (I know, I ran into the same problem)

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2016, 11:53 AM »
I was afraid that the helmet looked big. If I did pauldrons, would that eliminate the shoulder bells or work in conjunction with them? Also, are there any specific templates I would need to use per requirements?

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:27 PM »
I saw a tutorial from Orikad on the forums making the Pauldron out of craft foam.  Does that meet current CRL's? 

Hiryu02

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:36 PM »
When you say craft foam, do you mean like EVA foam or similar? Because I know EVA foam is not allowed in CRLs due to lack of strength and rigidity.

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

OM#2184

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:57 PM »
I was looking at the tutorial on the tutorial page (see link below).  He references "craft fpam."  He mentions in the thread that while armor cannot be made of craft foam unless it is resin coated or something similar, that an accent piece like a Pauldron could be made of foam.  The  thread is a little dated.  Have the CRL's changed possibly since the thread was created?

Pauldron Tutorial by OriKad: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=26919.0

Hiryu02

« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2016, 04:08 PM »
I was looking at the tutorial on the tutorial page (see link below).  He references "craft fpam."  He mentions in the thread that while armor cannot be made of craft foam unless it is resin coated or something similar, that an accent piece like a Pauldron could be made of foam.  The  thread is a little dated.  Have the CRL's changed possibly since the thread was created?

Pauldron Tutorial by OriKad: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=26919.0

Yeah I see that. Never knew there was an exception for "accent pieces". To be safe I would reach out to an app team member for final clarification before you start. I believe Raestin Ke'Varik is over our Bes'uliik clan area.

OM#2184

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2016, 05:29 PM »
It would be in addition to regular shoulder armor. Not in place of. There's lot of different ways to do it. I believe that the app team has since declared EVA completely banned unless covered with plastic, resin, etc. Just too hard to make it both last and look good. I made my pauldrons modeled loosely on the clone wars mini series ARC trooper pauldrons out of 6mm sintra. Some people do clone trooper or Stormtrooper style pauldrons, or armor similar to that found on Galaxies armor

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Itolia, do you have thoughts on this or should I inquire with the app team?

Itolia Ulik'vhett

• Meh ni eyayti, ke'viini sosolyc
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:52 PM »
I am always going to say go with 6mil or metal. 

You could also just add a second set of shoulder above the ones you have now.  Because there are plates underneath it will cause the top plate to "flare"

Not the best example (it fantasy leather) but it give you the idea

OM #1140
M.V.S. #16
M.A.R.S. #9
Oribru Akaata #14

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:09 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. That gives me some good stuff to go on! Are there good templates to use if I went Arc trooper style?

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #19 on: Oct 02, 2016, 04:37 PM »
Here is another thought.  I have had concerns about the size of the  helmet.  I also have concerns about some of details of cosmetics with my helmet (small cracks at seams, little imperfections that are hard to fill, etc.).  What I am looking towards is possibly ordering a helmet kit such as one form the Arsenal or other avenue here in the next couple of months. 

Having said that, what would be the feedback about the shoulder armor as is if I were to have a more normal size helmet?  I am not ruling out the Pauldron, but it was not part of my original design. 

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!