Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Another Jetpack Scratchbuild... With Real Steel!

• 7 Replies
Another Jetpack Scratchbuild... With Real Steel!
« on: Sep 29, 2016, 05:49 PM »
I put up my build on TDH a year and 2 weeks ago, thought you guys might appreciate it.
Here it is!

So since I was until recently a broke high school student (now a broke college student) who really wanted to make a Fett kit I decided I had to build my jetpack.

There are a lot of things missing that will probably never be added on, but I'm happy with it. Except for it's enormous weight...

Here it is on me, finished:

Admittedly, not very good shots of the back, but not many pictures get taken of the back.

Here's the construction:

I started with @wizardofflight 's schematics. Without those I woulda been dead in the water.
I used plastic from school folders for the main and side tank covers. PVC for the side tanks, a Lismore whiskey box for the main tank. Worked out pretty well!

I turned the rocket on the lathe. I used a standard 4x4, so not the best wood for turning. In addition to dull tools from the shop, the wood came out pretty choppy, but I was able to correct most of it with filler and Bondo.

When I asked my shop teacher how I could strengthen the plastic, he just said "Why not use metal?" So I did. I was extremely happy with the results.
The second picture is an early idea for the backplate. The plan was to secure a bunch of L-brackets to the frame then rivet the backplate to the brackets. This was suggested by an "expert" classmate. My shop teacher was quick to point out the weakness of MDF and suggested I not go this route. Plus, that would have been a TON of unnecessary work.
Ultimately I ended up screwing the backplate into the MDF with some extremely coarse screws. This has worked very well so far.

First test fitting on my buddy:

As you can see, very early still. No tank caps, lots of gaps to fill, no thrusters. I still felt very far from the finish line.
I ended up making the thrusters by turning 2 balls on the lathe, drilling a 1" hole for the pipe fitting, then drilling a larger hole on the bottom for the cone. I made the cone my rolling a sheet of metal and riveting the sides together. The rivets are on the inside, so they're not really visible. The greeblies were just sloppily glued on the outside. I feel bad about those... I had a friend print them for me.

Here it is just prior to painting the side tanks:

I sanded the metal down so I could weather it, and I got it looking like this. I wanted to badly to leave it as it was, it was beautiful!

Some finished pics I just took:

Oh, and one more thing.

The strapping.

I used an old baby carrier I picked up from a thrift store. So far it's worked pretty well, but after around 5-6 hours of wearing it I get a strange and unsettling pain in my right shoulder..

Also, in the top caps I put in small computer fans. The initial idea was to put dry ice in the side tanks and have the fans on real low to just kinda have the vapor seep out, but I have yet to put the idea into practice at an event. I have a proof of concept video of it working, though. I can post it if you guys would like to see it. Otherwise, I won't, it's not particularly impressive.

Apologies for the potato quality images!
Still nothing to write home about, but I'm happy with how it ultimately turned out. Plus, I can say I made it!

So, what do you guys think?

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Another Jetpack Scratchbuild... With Real Steel!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2016, 06:42 PM »
It looks great!

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Kar'ta Ne'tra

• Awards Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2016, 04:30 PM »
I like it. Straps may be a bit hard to hide under your armourvthough...

"This is the way" - Google Maps
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2016, 04:48 PM »
Thanks!

As seen in the pictures, though, the strapping system is invisible under my armor.

I wear it under my flak vest the same as any other harness. Works great, tight fit.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2016, 06:22 AM »
Is there any chance of having more details/photos on your harness setup?

I need to remake mine for my Super Commando and I wanted more padding (as it kills my shoulders currently)
It looks like your harness has everything I am looking for

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2016, 12:44 PM »
Yeah, totally! I didn't see this till now, somehow.

I can take some pics when I get home, but it's just a modified baby carrier harness. I was in a thrift store one day and saw it, so I bought it. It's worked great and I have pretty good faith in it not failing, cause, y'know, babies falling and stuff.

There happened to be a pair of straps that aligned perfectly with my JP hooks so it was a bit of a cinch to get it to work!

Hanjo Solba

• Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:39 AM »
It looks like I purchased the same harness as you, weird question, did you just let the jetpack hang?  Nothing on the bottom to hold it to the backplate?  Also what did you use for the hooks?  Looks like bent sheet metal.  Just curious!

OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:29 PM »
Your assessment is spot on! The hooks are simply bent sheet metal and the parts that hook into them are bent brazing rods.

I do just let it hang. The weight is enough to keep it down. Plus, it allows it to move a little bit and not break. I put little foam pads on the pints of contact with the backplate to prevent too much wear.

Hope this helps!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!