Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Second First WIP

• 16 Replies
Second First WIP
« on: Oct 07, 2016, 08:19 PM »
Hello everyone.
I started my first suit of armor about 2 years ago but then school and lack of money led to me stopping it.
I've decided that I'm going to start back up again now that I have a job so I can actually buy the stuff instead of just looking at it.
Now for the Plan
This time I'm going to buy a Helmet instead of attempting to scratch build one.
Luckily the chest plates from the first suit still fit so I won't have to remake them and the rest of the armor will be made out of 6mm sintra.
I'm going with full plates and a 2 piece flight suit since finding coveralls that fit is difficult.
Below is my color scheme as of right now, I'm toying with the idea of red instead of the black on the helmet and red vertical stripes on the armor. I'll decide on that after I have all the plates made.

Question on the armor attachment. Is it acceptable to use nylon strapping and plastic buckles for attaching the shin, thigh and bicep plates?

My weapon is going to be a modded Sten mk II replica

(Originally I wanted a sterling replica to do a real E-11 but they're expensive and hard to find!)

I should be buying the sten and a helmet from someone on here shortly and hopefully will be buying the rest of the stuff after that.
That's all from now!

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam. - "A warrior is more than his armor"

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Second First WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2016, 04:13 PM »

Question on the armor attachment. Is it acceptable to use nylon strapping and plastic buckles for attaching the shin, thigh and bicep plates?

Nylon can be used, it is preferred to be colour matched to the flightsuit. Plastic buckles can be used, must be painted metallic, black or kit colours. No bright matt plastic.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2016, 10:38 PM »
Update!

The sintra (not pictured), Bdu's, buckles, strapping and sten came in this week! I'm still waiting on my helmet.
On the left side of the picture are my templates for leg and arm armor, tomorrow ill take a picture with them tapped on for critique.

Nylon can be used, it is preferred to be colour matched to the flightsuit. Plastic buckles can be used, must be painted metallic, black or kit colours. No bright matt plastic.

My flight suit as you can see is dark grey would the black be okay since it will kind of blend? If not I can figure up a sleeve or something to cover it.

Also, on the bdu's, do I need to remove the butt pockets? They are sown into the pants so they would be a pain to remove.

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2016, 12:30 AM »
black on dark grey will be fine for nylon. If you use elastic on any parts - that does have to be exact.

If you plan to have a kama then the pockets can be left, otherwise strip em off.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2016, 05:49 PM »
If you plan to have a kama then the pockets can be left, otherwise strip em off.
I'll take them off, they aren't on how I first thought they were.

Here are the arm and leg plates! I'm not wearing the bdu's because the black cardstock is hard to see on them.

Does the bicep plate look like it needs to be taller?
Also, the idea is that my right gauntlet is like the one in the picture, basically just an armor plate then the left one is a full gauntlet with buttons and stuff on it, that's fine right?

All the plates are a custom design because I wanted a flat front area on all of them. And then between the foot plate and shin I'll put a piece of fabric because the shoe laces like to wiggle out there.
What I'm wanting to know is if they look good enough that I can go ahead and make them out of Sintra to start working on the final forming.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2016, 05:05 PM »
The foot plate looks far too big. Rest of the leg armour is fine - though the thigh plating may be clipping the cod, hard to tell without the cod plate in place.
Gaunts and biceps look fine - I'd actually tilt the shoulder armour down a little so its more at a 45% angle.
And just having one tech gauntlet is fine.

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Sweet!  :) Next time I'm home I'll start working on everything except for the boots and thighs.
Ill wait on the thighs until I finalize a cod design and see how they work together.
On the boot the idea was to basically armor as much as possible with only 1 piece. I'll see about making a smaller design.   

Oh and I guess I should start thinking of a backplate design....???

« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2016, 08:18 PM »
It's been a while but I have made a good deal of progress!

Only pieces not cut and shaped now are the cod, thighs, backplate and left gauntlet, the one in the pic was just a test.
I also realized I'll need to reshape the chest plates but that shouldn't be that hard with the all powerful heatgun!

The Helmet is from headshot props and is still rough since I haven't started working on it yet.

This weekend I should get some more plates done and start cleaning up the helmet.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2016, 01:02 PM »
Well once again its been a long while but I'm still working my armor!

The problem I'm dealing with right now is the knee placement, I can't decide whether to move the knee up or shorten the shin.
The thighs are still in the planning stage cause I cant decide on the exact length yet..

Does the sizing and forming look good for the chest plates?
 I wanted to check before I start putting holes in the vest, the exact placement will be different I'm mostly worried about the sizing right now.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2016, 04:55 PM »
Those torso pieces look really big on you.  How's your mobility?  If you can move your arms around without bumping into the plates or shifting them around, they should be ok.  And I'd think that you'll either need to drop your shins and raise your knees, or make shnees.  All around, though, you're making good progress.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kris Jasra

« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2016, 06:01 PM »
Working from the second close up, the chest plates need to be moved closer together and then rotated inwards a little at the bottom. The gap you have right at the outer edges of the collar to chest is good - shift and rotate to match that all the way along the collar to chest and between the chest plates. Then put in the ab plate and trim to fit if necessary so you have a similar size gap between chest and ab all the way round. Then pop in the diamond, you can have a smaller gap round that but make sure it is equal all the way round. Once you've got them all fitted and trimmed just double check nothing is lifting - right now the centre of the collar and the inner top of each chest plate don't look like they're all matching up, either the collar needs pressing down a little or the chest plates need raising a little - however that may change with the rotation which is why it is best to fix the fit before the last little shaping tweaks. You're definitely into the last stages of the fitting though.

« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2016, 09:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!
Looking at those pics now, the placement is quite horrible  :laugh:
Tomorrow I'll rotate the plates around like Kris said, trim them and then see if they shift together when I bring my arms in.

Oh and here is a pic of the one thigh plate I put together.
And I'll see about shortening the shins as well tomorrow.

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:13 PM »
Update!

I sanded and tweaked the chest plates, made a harness for the thigh plates to ride on, cut the shin plates shorter and put Velcro on the knees to help keep them in place.
Also, the shoulder plates will be closer to the neck, they are just taped on right now.

The problems I see are:
Left chest plate needs the outside sanded down more.
Thigh plates are different heights, but that's easy to fix.
The knees still run together with the shins a bit, but when I move the thighs up I can adjust the knees up as well.

What does everyone else think?
Do the chest plates look better than before?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2016, 02:38 PM »
That looks worlds better, mate.  Typically the bottom outer edge of the collar should line up with the upper outer edges of the chest plates, but the CRLs allow for, I believe, up to an inch difference, so you're good with that.  The ab plate may need to be trimmed to match the angle of the chest plates' fangs, because right now it's making the spacing look a bit wonky.

Size wise, everything's looking much better.  You're getting there, vod.

I assume you're working up a girth-belt or sash to cover the gap between your flak vest and cod piece?

Good work, vod.  Keep it up.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2016, 04:02 PM »
Sweet! glad it looks better.

I'll angle the chest fangs to match the angle of the ab plate.
And yea, I'm planning a girth belt and then an ammo belt on top of that to tie the top and bottom together.

What color do you guys think would work the best for the girth belt? red, black, grey?
FYI, the cod will be red and the ab plate will be grey

« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:37 PM »
I have gotten a good amount of progress done.

I got the chest plates painted and mounted to the vest, they will need another coat of paint but that's what the color scheme is.
Also I moved the cod and thighs onto the same belt and am working on an ammo belt to go over the girth belt.
Obviously the left gauntlet still needs work, I'm planning on building a superstructure on top of it and then adding buttons and possibly a small screen

Here is a pic of the backplate I made.

I don't have any pics of the helmet but it is mostly cleaned up and I'm working on gluing the ears on.
And the hardware and visor came in today so hopefully I'll be able to mount the visor and start finishing the helmet soon.

« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2017, 10:32 AM »
Well it's been a long time since I posted on here but I have been working on my kit!
Here is how it looks right now

I decided to go with two half gauntlets because I was having trouble getting the full gauntlet to work for some reason.
Also, i'll probably be ordering another set of pouches so I have a matching set.

The blaster I built was based off the rifles carried by the Imperial Mandalorians in Star Wars Rebels, mines obviously painted differently though.

and here is a front shot of my helmet

Ignore the cluttered background lol.

How does it look to everyone?
Anything major stand out?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!