Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Druvag's First Armor WIP

• 4 Replies
Druvag's First Armor WIP
« on: Oct 11, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Hello all.  Well here we go, time to jump in feet first.  I've just received a ton of 3mm Sintra, so time to get down to this.

Here's the concept I've put together.  Since mocking it up though, I've decided to run with an armored loincloth rather than the cod piece.  I believe it'll give me more freedom of movement.

So here I have the plate fitting.  First are the Ohld Vart Legacy templates at 100%.  The ab plates extend too far down, so I'll be removing the bottom set if the rest looks good.  Also, for the thigh plates, the width seems good, but the length is just too far.  It extends about 1-2" onto the kneecap.  So I'll shorten and keep the width.  Also, would welcome thoughts on the back plates.  They seem too narrow, or maybe that's how it is supposed to be, and the bottom would extend past where my belt would sit, so I'll have to shorten it up at least.

Here I have the Old Vart's template at 80%.  Just seems a bit small, but thought I'd provide just in case.

So, let me know what you think.  Suggestions for sizing, anything!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Druvag's First Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2016, 02:41 PM »
Use the 100% scale templates and trim the edges of the chest plate for comfort, drop the fourth lane like you already know. You could also go and trim a 1/4" off each side of the 100% scale. Concept looks great by the way.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Thank you Bowfanny!  I've gone through and trimmed the chest pieces 1/4", from reading some other topics, I've trimmed from the inside, rather than the outside, which seemed easier to measure and follow.  I also trimmed off about 3" off of the 3rd lame for the back plates.  It seems most of what I've been doing lately is planning, ordering parts, tools and whatnot for what I want to accomplish.  Oh, and templates, lots and lots of templates and modifying them to comfort. 

I've got the flightsuit, and I've got the sleeves and legs hemmed to length.  Going to wait on tailoring it until I can see how much will need to be taken in that's not covered.  Really want to go for a heavy armored look here.  Next item on board this weekend is the vest.  Going with a duckcloth, doubled up and stitched to give an appearance of quilting.  At the same time I'm going to try and knock out a duct tape mannequin while I have the extra pair of hands.

One question I have relates to the shaping aspect of the sintra.  I'm using 3mm, but will be doubling up on some areas with the appearance of trauma plates, and generally giving some accents and depth to pieces.  Is it preferred to glue the pieces together, and shape as a whole, or to shape them separately, and glue together after?

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2016, 02:11 AM »
The shape and glue or glue and shape question comes up quite a bit actually. And for myself I like to shape and then glue. Because then you're not fighting 6mm of sintra but at the same time 6mm isn't all that horrible to shape if you do it properly. Biggest thing is take your time. Legacy is pretty forgiving in its layout as long as you abutt the collar and remember there is no spacing like the other Modern kits.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Alright, I'll try that route.  I started cutting the sintra, and I found I have about 2-3 times as much as I need, so if I mess up, not like I can't go for round two.  First up, went today and got my duct tape mannequin done, we'll see how it turns out as I close it up and fill it out.  Buckets first though!!! 

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2016, 06:38 PM by Druvag Chaak » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!