Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Yogi's Bucket and hardhat build

• 6 Replies

Yogi

Yogi's Bucket and hardhat build
« on: Oct 11, 2016, 09:47 PM »
So I found a hard hat and 5 Gallon bucket on the side of the interstate yesterday and decided to try my hand at a scratch build. Im using the WOF templates. So far Ive trimmed the brim from the hard hat and screwed the dome to the inner helmet. Here it is next to my Cruzer/BKBT helmet

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2016, 11:54 AM by Yogi » Logged
MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Yogi

Re: Yogi's Bucket and hardhat build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2016, 11:53 AM »
I glued the outer helmet to the inner helmet base using E6000. I cut out the cheeks and T visor area, I then made the cheeks out of cardboard and I Plan to fiberglass them. I couldn't get the cheeks made out of the same bucket material, so I settled for cardboard. These cheeks are seriously a pain in the rear.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2016, 03:45 AM »
Bucket builds are hard core Vod. It takes considerable patience to do a bucket build. The cheeks are by far the hardest to do with buckets or sintra. Buckets you can flip the left to the right and counter some curve if you have enough bucket but it still takes patience to get the cheeks in there and stay.

QMU#084

Yogi

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2016, 10:43 AM »
Bucket builds are hard core Vod. It takes considerable patience to do a bucket build. The cheeks are by far the hardest to do with buckets or sintra. Buckets you can flip the left to the right and counter some curve if you have enough bucket but it still takes patience to get the cheeks in there and stay.

I ended up taping and gluing the cardboard cheeks in and then Fiberglass over the top of them. This stuff cures super fast! Not bad for my first time using the stuff. Now I have to do the endless cycle of bondo, sand, bondo, sand, spot putty.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2016, 09:08 PM »
It's not an endless cycle, but it does take time and patience lol

QMU#084

Yogi

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2016, 12:16 PM »
so most of the work is done on my helmet. I plan to order some ear pieces from Droodles as well as a rangefinder to complete the helmet. I need to install a visor too. Here is a shot of it between my recently redone Target boba on the left and my Cruzer Jango on the right. This was a fun build and the cheeks weren't that bad, but were definitely the toughest part of the build. Not a bad helmet for about $15-20 invested.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Bowfanny

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2016, 02:46 PM »
Not too shabby Vod. The cheeks are always the wrench in the machine of efficiency.

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!