Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mounting Armor

• 7 Replies

Shar Dagger

• Don't be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
Mounting Armor
« on: Oct 17, 2016, 10:22 PM »
I am having a hard time mounting my armor.  What is the best way to mount armor that doesn't fit like a glove?  I've spent 20+ hours crafting them and am not up to making new ones.  I've tried velcro on a t-shirt-like fabric and it looks cheap.  The plates were falling off.  I'm very very disgruntled and frustrated.....  :-[   I was thinking about picking up a used leather jacket but I still don't know the best method to attach the plates.... Help!

OM: 1688 - Privateer and Heavy Melee Brigade Member: 283
Check out my Instagram: @shar_dagger
The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
Re: Mounting Armor
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2016, 10:58 PM »
I used a quilted cloth for my flack vest. I also used velcro for mine. The thing is if the material you have behind the armor isnt thick enough the armor will flop over and look really bad. Here is a picture of my vest with the armor on it as well.

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2016, 11:07 PM »
Hi vod,

Hum maybe if u can post pics, in order to us to see would be better to avaliate the situation  ;)

Like Asland said, the vest must be strong enought to hold the velcro, and therefor the armor  ;) If u can, sew the velcro on the vest would be perfect, and the velcro on the plates, if it's industrial velcro that have glue on it, better  ;)

Hope that helps vod and GL  ;)
(Anything, shoot here or PM)

AJ

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2016, 11:32 PM »
That is why t-shirt material isn't allowed for vests ;-).  You need something thick like duck cloth. Use a thick fabric for the vest then use sew on velcro for the vest and the sticky back velcro on the plates. Do not use the sticky back velcro on the vest, it's not going to work.

Shar Dagger

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2016, 12:22 AM »
Thanks aliit!  I'm in the process of setting up an external site to host my pictures so you can eventually expect a wip from me.  I'll try thicker fabric and sewing on the velcro. I'll update with my armor mounting after I finish painting! On a side note: what site do you guys use for pictures?

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2016, 12:27 AM by Shar Dagger » Logged

The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2016, 12:34 AM »
i use photo bucket. it gives you the url link for the picture so i can just copy and paste it to the site

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2016, 08:05 AM »
I use the iron-on Velcro to attach my plates.  The peel-n-stick Velcro is crap.  Sew-in works well, too (but don't use a sewing machine with peel-n-stick Velcro; it will chew up your needle).

As mentioned above, use a heavier cloth for your vest. Jersey-knit material (like a t-shirt) is not allowed because it's really flimsy and won't hold the weight of your plates.  It will also sag over time.  Duckcloth is very popular, as is canvas.  You can get both at a local fabric store or hobby store (and you can save money by using a coupon from a smartphone app or your local mailer).

I advise that you stay away from leather or pleather because it's really, really hot, but that is personal preference more than anything else.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Shar Dagger

« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2016, 08:59 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice!  I did buy leather... dun dun duun.... An old leather jacket that has never been worn from a thrift shop for $4. I guess for my next kit I'll look into duck cloth/canvas.  The painting is coming along swimmingly so the mounting terror escapade will begin again soon. ;D

« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2016, 11:52 AM by Shar Dagger » Logged

The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!