Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jetpack Exhaust

• 6 Replies

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
Jetpack Exhaust
« on: Oct 20, 2016, 03:20 AM »
I am toying with the idea of building a jetpack that has a smoking exhaust.

All of the ideas that I seem to be coming across online seem to be either overly bulky/heavy or expel most or all of the "smoke" in a relatively short time. I am looking for an idea that is (a) completely safe and (b) will last for quite a bit of time (i.e. multiple hours).

Does anyone have any ideas or experience?

Helix

Re: Jetpack Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2016, 06:11 PM »
You should look toward model train, some have a working smoke exhaust.
It might do the trick.

My sales thread : Helix's lair

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2016, 12:14 PM »
I haven't built it yet, but played around with designing one that was a tank of glycerine and a coil from a vaporizer/e-cig.   Add a white LED so it really stands out and either a fan or a burst of c02 from a bb gun's canister to push it out the nozzles.

If you are up for some research, check out how the Ghostbusters costumers do it with their packs

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2016, 04:20 PM »
Shorter bursts is probably the cooler and more fun way to go, since just emitting smoke for a few hours is going to look like you're on fire, while blowing smoke on command will awe an audience.  Like Zophar says, a CO2 burst to blow it out the nozzle.

If you don't mind unrealistic, a fan and strips of light fabric is another theatre trick for smoke and/or fire.

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2016, 12:33 AM »
You should look toward model train, some have a working smoke exhaust.
It might do the trick.

I haven't built it yet, but played around with designing one that was a tank of glycerine and a coil from a vaporizer/e-cig.   Add a white LED so it really stands out and either a fan or a burst of c02 from a bb gun's canister to push it out the nozzles.

If you are up for some research, check out how the Ghostbusters costumers do it with their packs

Shorter bursts is probably the cooler and more fun way to go, since just emitting smoke for a few hours is going to look like you're on fire, while blowing smoke on command will awe an audience.  Like Zophar says, a CO2 burst to blow it out the nozzle.

If you don't mind unrealistic, a fan and strips of light fabric is another theatre trick for smoke and/or fire.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Quotar

• We can do this the easy way, or the easier way.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Depending on how much room you have and how much tech you want to employ, I've been considering the same thing and I was looking into a few 9.v battery packs and a mini smoke machine with modified reservoir and maybe an exhaust fan on low to move things along. It is just an idea for now and not too sure how well it will work but hey an idea. 

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2016, 02:28 PM »
Check out what Coregeek did for his Frostmourne prop: https://www.facebook.com/coregeekcc/videos/1115486978570172/ its pretty sweet!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!