Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

MadCelt's personal repulserlift "jetpack"

• 12 Replies

MadCelt

• Just a little man trying to stay in God's plan.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
MadCelt's personal repulserlift "jetpack"
« on: Oct 24, 2016, 01:35 PM »
I had lost much of my WIP to the digital depths, but I've reconstructed it with an Instagram photo collage:

Construction materials include cardboard mailing tubes, a carpet tube, 1/8 and 1/4 inch sintra, plastic juice bottles, shampoo bottle, PVC plumbing fitting, plastic easter eggs, shower arm flanges and wood filler for seams. 

Gathered pieces and assembled box. I found a pattern on TDH that I used for the box and nozzles. The box was cut from the 1/4" sintra, the nozzles from 1/8" sintra heated and wrapped around mouthwash bottle caps. The tubes were also wrapped in the 1/8" sintra and assembled together with vinyl ashesive. The nozzles are bolted into place.
4"-3" PVC adapter on top of center tube with Easter egg topper and juice bottle bottom. Bottom of fuel tubes capped with Easter egg bottoms, juice bottle tops on top. Shampoo bottle split in halve and two halves placed along dorsal of pack.

Primed, filled, sanded and primed again. The box looked blank so I found some neat greeblies in the dump bin at work. These were the blade guard to a table saw I halved and placed between the tubes, flush with the leading edge. I didn't like the look of the bottle tops on the fuel tubes so I used shower arm flanges to cap them off.

Masked, painted and detailed. Silver chrome base coat, with shiny racecar red trim. Mmmm.... pretty!

Weathered and finished with a little rust, some carbon scoring, paint scratches and a ding or two.

All in all, a weeks worth of work and maybe $20 of materials (that I didn't already have on-hand).

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2016, 11:44 AM by MadCelt » Logged

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: MadCelt's personal repulserlift "jetpack"
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2016, 03:56 PM »
So jealous of people who have The Eye to do "found item" builds like this.   Nicely done.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

MadCelt

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2016, 06:57 AM »
So jealous of people who have The Eye to do "found item" builds like this.   Nicely done.

THANKS!
That really means a lot.
My kids are always asking me to make something for them, so with limited resources or funding I usually get crafty with whatever is laying about.

MadCelt

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2016, 11:36 AM »
Now what did I use for attachment?

The backplate of my armor with slots cut for the mounting clips on the back of my jetpack . The clips are spring-loaded mirror mount hardware bolted in place. Spacing for slots narrower than edge of clips so the springs clamp in tight. Makes it real simple to mount/unmount by slipping bottom clips in first, lifting pack to tension springs, and snapping top clips in place allowing gravity to pull pack down and snug in clips tightly.

Straps bolted through the vest (hidden by the backplate) and pulled tight under the vest carries the weight of the jetpack.

So here's the end result of my jetpack journey. Just a side comparison with Fett for size and scale.
It's tight, fits snug and carries pretty easy with the shoulder straps.

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2016, 12:51 PM by MadCelt » Logged

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2016, 11:41 AM »
Very nicely done, my friend.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

MadCelt

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2016, 12:45 PM »
My brother Tim (Pagan on the forums) was so impressed by my hybrid repulser pack he wanted one of his own.

I built his from the same materials and process I did mine with the following differences:
1) The upper blast shield to protect his neck from the missile exhaust (his is a weapons platform, mine is not)
3) Cones and nacelle shrouds added to fuel tubes
2) The Boba style side nozzle pods

Here's the rough construction showing the bits of juice bottles, mailing tubes, Easter eggs and sintra panels that make it up.

Primed, filled and primed again. The nozzle pods were made from 2.5" wooden balls bought at Hobby Lobby, bolted through a couple of spray can caps and into the pack body. found some triangle thumb screw type knobs to greeblie the pods and make it easier to remove for storage/shipping.

Pretty smooth finish...!

How it looks painted, pretty and mounted to his backplate.

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2016, 12:53 PM by MadCelt » Logged

MadCelt

« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2016, 10:32 PM »
 :o :o  >:(  :'(

MAN DOWN, MAN DOWN !

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2016, 01:27 AM »
NOOOOO!!!!😱😱😭

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2016, 11:31 AM »
 :o :'(  Sorry vod. That's such a cool jetpack, I hope you can fix it.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2016, 12:07 PM »
My brother Tim (Pagan on the forums) was so impressed by my hybrid repulser pack he wanted one of his own.

I built his from the same materials and process I did mine with the following differences:
1) The upper blast shield to protect his neck from the missile exhaust (his is a weapons platform, mine is not)
3) Cones and nacelle shrouds added to fuel tubes
2) The Boba style side nozzle pods

Here's the rough construction showing the bits of juice bottles, mailing tubes, Easter eggs and sintra panels that make it up.

Primed, filled and primed again. The nozzle pods were made from 2.5" wooden balls bought at Hobby Lobby, bolted through a couple of spray can caps and into the pack body. found some triangle thumb screw type knobs to greeblie the pods and make it easier to remove for storage/shipping.

Pretty smooth finish...!

How it looks painted, pretty and mounted to his backplate.

This looks great, what did you use for the cones?

MadCelt

« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2016, 08:44 AM »
This looks great, what did you use for the cones?

Big plastic, candy-filled Easter eggs.  :P

MadCelt

« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2016, 11:33 AM »
:o :'(  Sorry vod. That's such a cool jetpack, I hope you can fix it.

I,m having me a thought here...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!