Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Is it me or....

• 33 Replies

Helix

Re: Is it me or....
« Reply #25 on: Jun 15, 2016, 12:47 AM »
Did you use templates for this?  I've got a scrapped and broken air soft 1911 and I love the look of this.

I'm using my own 3d file for the westar and a 3D scan of a 1911 for the handle.

Loving this!! Might be worth picking up a couple cheap airsofts to build a set.

I may end by casting it since my brother want two for his clone suit.

My sales thread : Helix's lair

Sevrin Cerar

• Forumalorian
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #26 on: Jun 15, 2016, 11:39 AM »
Hehe, gues I wasn't the only one thinking of building one with 1911 style grips :P

Sgtmac

• Peace through superior firepower...
« Reply #27 on: Jul 04, 2016, 08:04 AM »
Helix, that is a thing of beaut.  Hmm, to run with the idea, working mag well, but make the mag a bit shorter to give the end a giant 9 volt type look.  power pack in the butt of the weapon. 

Helix

« Reply #28 on: Jul 04, 2016, 09:26 PM »
like on this one ?

[edit]
After reading again your coms I'm not sure to understand what you mean, a cell pack at the rear of gun ? Just over the "handstop" on the 1911 grip ?

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2016, 11:58 PM by Helix » Logged

Lane

« Reply #29 on: Jul 04, 2016, 11:30 PM »
As I said, I think the real problem is that we latch onto what we are fed and try to reproduce 'exactly' what is seen, where in some instances such as this, a certain amount of artistic license would be welcome.... but that's just my opinion,
atatior

This is a large part of the reason I chose the Mercs over 501st.
In the 501st the ultimate E-11 looks just like the props, including the T tracks pushed into the holes in the barrel shroud.
The Mercs allow a lot more customization and interpretation  in gear. I view the props in the movies as exactly that, an imitation of an actual weapon. My ideal E-11 would look like it came off a factory assembly line and ready for combat use. Brackets and sight rails would be sturdy enough to survive rough use without bending, T Tracks would clip into the holes or even look like they are part of the shroud. Receivers stamped in Aurabesh.

« Reply #30 on: Jul 05, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Just to throw my 2 credits in the ring, at the moment, I actually like the Westars.  Notice that I say "at the moment".  This is for a couple pop left of reasons.
1-I'm not a gun guy.  I know virtually nothing about firearms.  Knives are a different story due to my interests and profession.  But guns? Nope.  Oversimplified, I know there's a part you hold, and a part you point and boomies come from.

2-I'm still new to prop building.

That being said, Westars are actually kind of nice for someone like me.  I have a collection of airsoft guns, a spearing, and toys just stating at me, mocking my lack of skill.  At the risk of going the "woe is me" route, I have no clue what I'm doing.  Every time I start trying to build a blaster, I get stuck.  It looks lazy, or ugly, or otherwise like something an untalented child would make.  So until I get my feet under me, Westars seem a good compromise.  They're Canon, they're simple, and they're something I can put on my kit until I gain the skills to build something I can be proud of.  I agree they don't have the aesthetic that's ideally SWarzy.  But as an entry into prop building, for me I think they're all right.  Not everyone has the skills or the eye or the encyclopedic knowledge of all the ins and outs of every firearm in existence.  Personally, I'm trying to learn.  But between all the fine details of firearms, along with all the other osik I'm trying to learn in regards to building, greeblieing, painting, sewing, weathering, etc, having something like a Westar is comforting.  It's something a newer person may not have to take crap for as they try to not become overwhelmed with everything.

Whatever doesn't kill me- should probably run...

Sotar Rua concept (proper WIP coming soon to a thread near you). http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=109564.0

Sgtmac

• Peace through superior firepower...
« Reply #31 on: Nov 15, 2016, 02:48 PM »
like on this one ?

[edit]
After reading again your coms I'm not sure to understand what you mean, a cell pack at the rear of gun ? Just over the "handstop" on the 1911 grip ?
Hey Helix, ive been a bit awol..
Sorry about that my typing sucks,  take a standard 8 round 1911 magazine, cut 2 inches off it and model the new top to look like a 9volt battery.  Most energy weapons have a power source, so this one would be housed in the grip like a standard firearm.  but with it ejectable, it could add some cool points to drop mag and change it in front of a fan.  if possible mount a 9volt head inside so they actually socket in.  I have big dreams but aweful skill.  Your work is awesome though. 

Helix

« Reply #32 on: Nov 15, 2016, 03:47 PM »
It's not your typing that's in cause  ;), english is not my homegrown language so sometimes i don't click on some expression or on depending how the phrasing is done.It can be crystal clear for english native speaker but not always for me  :(.

In fact I can't do that because the mag and the handle are printed in one solide part, I don't want to take a chance at changing a fake magazine in a convention, Canada is not joking on firearm restriction.

The idea is amazing, but not worth the risk here  :P !

bolakor

• I like my pirates like my coffee. Burnt.
« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2016, 05:43 PM »
I am late to this party, but a party i am inerested in.

Personally i have a little Love/Hate  relationship with the things.
I hate to love the blaster PISTOL, but I love the RIFLE. It has a certain look in the show that isn't really captured right in person. In SWTCW it looks heavy, long, sleek, and most of all, Functional for a militia group like Deathwatch. Its a simple and easy to maintain blaster (If whaat ive read on them is true) and are extremely simple to pull apart and repair in the field. They're also DIRT cheap (Again from what ive read) and i'd imagine that every black market weapons dealer has Crates of the things ready to ship off at rock bottom prices to anyone that'll pay for them, no questions asked.

Now, on to the view of the pistols. I grew up on all six of the films, not the original trilogy first so i have a LOVE of the first three (Except for Anikin, he was a little........ Well, seemed like he knew the flavor of every pecker on the jedi council by choice to me) and ESPECIALLY for Jango. His 34's look BEAUTIFUL and designer, befitting of someone who is the genetic blueprint for the clones and is likely making a mint off of it. He has the credits to splurge on such a beautiful thing. Then i watch the TCW and i see the Westar 35... and a little piece of me dies in the first frame i see Visla execute the Mando that failed. Because all i saw was an orange flash come from a rectangle. No glitz, no glam, no shine, no show, Just a bare bones brick on a handle. And i HATED it. Then i bought myself a HiPoint 45. UGLY and HEAVY pistol that would do more damage thrown at someone than actually shooting them, but it made me realize why the 35 looked so atrocious. Because it's cheap, its effective, and if need be, you can throw it away without a second thought because buying another one wont put a dent in your wallet. So i have an... Appreciation for it, if nothing else.

The Rifle is a different story to me, as the only blaster rifles I'd seen at that point were the clones DC-17's (Is that right?) and the storm trooper's E-11's, so to me, the Westar Carbine was a breath of fresh air. And I'm one of those people that have more appreciation for hunting rifles and marksman rifles that look bare bones that one that says "LOOK AT MEEEE". So i LIKE the bare bones rifle look. It's elegant, if nothing. It's simplistic while still having a bit of a flare to it's own image that the pistol just cant quite capture. Now, wouldi have liked to see what a Westar Carbine Sniper conversion looked like? oh most definately indeed, i wouldve LOVED to see a Westar sniper, but i realizr that the time for that has passed, and maybe one day I'll build myself one.

But, before i ramble too much, thers my opinion of the Westar 35 and 35 Carbine

Soft goods; 50% done
Armor; 0% done
weapons; 20% done
ideas; 110%

"You are most welcome here, my dear woman. I have an endless supply of theories about Jedi abilities—yet I keep running out of Jedi."
―Demagol

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!