Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Last Paksis (WIP)(2nd Iteration)

• 81 Replies

Quotar

• We can do this the easy way, or the easier way.
Re: The Last Paksis (WIP)(2nd Iteration)
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:37 PM »
Happy New Year

Ahem, anything things have been going good. Got my Post screws delivered, found some good straps for the cheap at Walmart, got a hole punch and everything seems great. Spent some time making holes and putting everything together. I still have some parts I need to work on. Want to modify the shin plates a bit before transferring them to sintra. Still trying to work out a knee plate design, and also working out bicep plates and how they will attach. Depending on what I do with my shoulder armor will determine the connection for the biceps. Also looking for some low priced boots if anyone has any ideas. I have some but they may prove to be problematic.

Anyway pictures on torso armor progress.

Should note that some plates look a little off because I haven't put in the central band yet, nor have I made the wrap around secure strap.
Also Much of the shoulder area will be covered by my Shoulder plates and the cape.

AndySanchez

• There's always a bigger fish, it's me.
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:05 PM »
The ab plates seem to be bent in different angles than the breast plate, if that makes any sense?
The breast plate is flat and has the sides bent to the sides but the ab plates are bent round, I think if they followed the same shaping pattern they'll fit a lot better together! Looking good, Vod!

Quotar

« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:45 PM »
The ab plates seem to be bent in different angles than the breast plate, if that makes any sense?
The breast plate is flat and has the sides bent to the sides but the ab plates are bent round, I think if they followed the same shaping pattern they'll fit a lot better together! Looking good, Vod!

Yeah, it is something I was looking into. Just haven't gotten to their reshaping just yet. Actually Had to change the back plate tonight and used lower plate 3 instead of 2 and also had to reshape the chest more. Lucky for me the silver krylon didn't peel and everything it bending nicely. All in all this has been more tedious than expected, but we carry on.

Quotar

« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:37 PM »
Happy Birthday to Me!

Well visiting family for a few days holiday and while here, maybe in a fit of a tired rage from the 7 hour drive I realized the answer to question I had been mulling over quite awhile. "How will I get the shoulders attached to my armor?"

Well here it is. I used hobby brackets from the hardware store (Lowes) and bent them to attach to the main armor on the sides.

Quotar

« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:09 PM »
The reality of this kit coming together after months of working on it is finally hitting me. Seeing something that was just in my head being turned into something real... so amazing. Anyway I took some images while I was on Holiday, but after getting home and actually being able to paint in temperatures higher that 50* I determined that I wanted another layout for my shoulder armor. I would like to know that the rather large tail posts on them are only temp until the hardware store gets in my shipment of 1/4 post screws.

I would like some feed back as I'm building this as my approval set and want to make sure my track is still in the right direction.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:59 AM »
Not sure if it was just the angle, but it looked like in the top pic that there is a slight gap between the chest plates and the upper ab lamé.  Aside from that, this looks really good!

Oh, and happy belated birthday.  ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Quotar

« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Not sure if it was just the angle, but it looked like in the top pic that there is a slight gap between the chest plates and the upper ab lamé.  Aside from that, this looks really good!

Oh, and happy belated birthday.  ;D

Thank you, and yes there is a small gap but that is because the central support strap is not in place yet. Once I install that the gap will vanish. I just want to finish the paint first so there is less to take apart for the painting.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Looking good vod! Can't wait to see more!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Quotar

« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Update Time.

Things have been going pretty smooth and I've been as motivated as a Rancor trying to eat a Skywalker.

Some thoughts: "Sooooo much black paint" "Acrylic paint is my friend" "Gonna need some thread lock" "We're gonna ride WHAT?"

Anyway pictures of progress.

My Westar, Gauntlet Progress, and Bicep Kolto tubes.

Everyone loves a good Saber slash to their paint job.

Quotar

« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:18 PM »
I love progress don't you?
Haven't had much contact with my clan down here, but still chugging away. I believe at this pace I can have my main armor done by my deadline of Feb. 1st. After that I can begin work on the Jet pack.

Anyway pictures.
Main Torso Armor

Shoulder Plates

Bicep Plates with Kolto Tubes

WIP Shin Plates on boot for reference

WIP Knees

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Don't forget to cover any elastic on the bicep plates. Looking good though, the tubes are a great little extra.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Quotar

« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:03 PM »
Don't forget to cover any elastic on the bicep plates. Looking good though, the tubes are a great little extra.

The elastic that holds it to me should blend with my flight suit which is also black.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:37 PM »
Elastic can be used at knees, elbows and on a boba thong when colour matched, everywhere else must be hidden. I'd suggest a thin leather  to make loops over the top. Elastic would still be holding them in but the leather would look like its the thing doing the job.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Quotar

« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Progress Report

Well I fell behind in my set deadlines, but funerals tend to do that.
Anyway got back home and working on getting the Armor bits done. Soft parts won't be so bad, but can't start until I get it done. Anyway pictures of my progress, still A LOT of modifications to be done to get these Gauntlets the way I want them.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Looking good!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2017, 01:16 PM »
Definitely. Very, very nice, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Quotar

« Reply #41 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:42 PM »
Sneak Peek

A little sneak peek at my progress on my armor parts. My Mirror Access isn't great so these photos also allow me to spot any issues. Like the back piece for my Cod plate needs to be reshaped. I still have some work to do before I can get on the soft parts, but it is coming along swimmingly me thinks.

So things I know need to be done.
Reshape the cod back plate
Paint the plate on the knees
Get all my straps finalized.
Pleather the gaunts hing seem.
And make the boot plates.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:07 PM »
Like the weathering on the plates, looks like you were chewed up and spat out by a rather large nexu... ;D

Now to get the soft parts to match.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Quotar

« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Like the weathering on the plates, looks like you were chewed up and spat out by a rather large nexu... ;D

Now to get the soft parts to match.

Well my Aim is get into the Force Hunter Brigade, so weathering ahead of time serves well.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2017, 11:18 PM »
Well my Aim is get into the Force Hunter Brigade, so weathering ahead of time serves well.
Yes, it does!  ;D
I really like this kit, vod.

Quotar

« Reply #45 on: Feb 20, 2017, 12:37 PM »
Ok has been a little while... Has not been a great start to the year.
Anyway here is a picture from the Charity Event I was DJing. From this picture and the test run I've picked up on some things I need to adjust.

1) Cod plate /w butt plate will be two parts and attached with a belt.
2) Need new attachment method for shin plates (Possibly a full Velcro and Fabric patch.)
3) Thigh plates will be attached with nylon straps and possibly cut down a little more in size.
4) Gauntlets may need a slight adjusting.
5) Still need to do the boot plates.
6) Side note, I may go back and repaint my cod plate and shin plates. (Just a pain because Krylon changed up their paints again.)

The weathering on my pouches make them look brown to the camera but they are actually black.
I haven't done the weathering on the flight suit, vest or Kama yet, but it is in the works.

Quotar

« Reply #46 on: Oct 18, 2017, 10:17 AM »
UPDATE 10/25/17

So yeah, been awhile since I started this project. Work, resources, family issues, and acts of nature have slowed down progress, but now I'm back on track and working to get my armor to full completion.

Finally got my right arm gaunt done (After a series of redesigns and head banging against the wall.)

Also getting my gun/ pouch belt into completion.

and wanted to submit this as a possible sniper, I'm still working on the mods but here is my progress anyway.

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2017, 10:43 AM by Quotar » Logged

Quotar

« Reply #47 on: Oct 24, 2017, 11:00 PM »
Ok so.. I got one of those Aker voice amp boxes awhile back. while not trooping and working a tedious job at a convenience store, my co-worker and I would use it to rock out on the late shift. Well I let her borrow it and she kinda dropped it. Now these things are tough in the sense that only the plastic contacts for the screws broke, other than that the amp was fine. Well I was working out ways to hide it on my armor while walking around and then after looking over the size of the parts and all I finally said screw it and integrated the entire thing, save for the the massive speaker, into my bucket.

Quotar

« Reply #48 on: Oct 25, 2017, 12:41 PM »
Ok so here are the... i guess partial completion picks (Say partial due to some minor adjustments and the fact that the rubber boots won't fly. They will serve for the charity function this weekend) Otherwise Input is greatly appreciated. I mean come Nov. this will have been a 1 year project. Guess Funds and Time to work (and getting ideas together) kinda stalled it.

Anyway Picture time.

Little Video for Ref
https://youtu.be/_9TJpggwFyE

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2017, 03:22 PM by Quotar » Logged

Straka Zulu

« Reply #49 on: Oct 25, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Don't worry about how long it takes, Vod. My own took two years, and my wife's is still in progress.

Really like the weathering, and the blue really pops!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!