Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My first bucket and hard hat build

• 22 Replies

whereswa11y

• Jax Cabur, Western Australia - Merc ID #2004
My first bucket and hard hat build
« on: Nov 08, 2016, 06:48 AM »
Hi guys, my first bucket build. I've  trimmed back an old hard hat and started cutting out templates ☺
I've started listing my materials and where I got them from to help fellow Western Australian newbies.

Project costs:
1 x hard hat                                        $0.00 (found on the side of the road)
2 x 20 L, black, heavy duty bucket     $11.10 ( $5.55 each from Bunnings)
10 x Pop rivets                                    $0.00 (from toolbox)
1 x Rivet gun                                       $0.00 (from toolbox)
1 x Dremel (fake) + cutting bit            $0.00 (from toolbox)   
1 x roll of 50mm cloth tape                 $5.28 (from Bunnings)
1 x straight cut tin spins (yellow)        $8.50 (from Masters, closing down sale)       
assorted greebles                               $0.00 (from around the house/shed)
1 pk apoxie sculpt (56.7gm (2oz))    $23.50 (from Kirkside Products)
1 x replacment hi impact visor            $6.50 (from RSEA)
section of auto tint film                       $0.00 (donated from awesome Clan mate)
Various grades of sand paper               $0.00 (from toolbox)
1 x hotglue gun + glue                         $0.00 (from toolbox)

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2017, 06:58 AM by whereswa11y » Logged
Re: My first bucket and hard hat build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2016, 09:39 AM »
pictures would help us so much in helping you out in the long run  :)

"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."

whereswa11y

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2016, 09:40 AM »
Hahaha... pics sure would help :-) Sorry i was trying to figure out how to upload some :-)

whereswa11y

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Hi guys, a few photos to show the start of my hard hat and bucket build.

1. Brim of the hard hat has been cut back along with the protruding noggins that the strapping would normally connect to.

2. I've cut my first bucket based on the WOF templates. I allowed a bit extra at the bottom and at the two ends that wrap around to the back. I used a fake dremel with a cutting tool and tin snips :-) I taped the hard hat in postion for a test run!

I'm not too sure if too much of the hard hat sticks out. I don't want too much of a cone head. Might need to trim hard hat a bit more.

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2016, 10:39 AM by whereswa11y » Logged
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2016, 01:01 PM »
just to warn you don't double post on threads wait a day or two or when someone has posted then you'll be fine and looking good so far.

"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."

whereswa11y

« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2016, 05:40 AM »
Thanks for the feed back  on the helmet so far and the advice re double posting  ☺

whereswa11y

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2016, 09:21 AM »
Just a few clamps!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2016, 09:35 AM »
AAAH!! Is it a spider?!  :P

J/K
I enjoy watching scratch builds for helmets. I lack the skill to do the same, so I cheer on those that do. ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Nice!  I like that hardhat design. Do you know what brand it is?

whereswa11y

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Thanks☺ i actually found  it on the side of the road! This is a low budget build.I have seen it though in a local hardware store. I'll  check next time i see one in store ☺

The brand of hardhat is ProChoice V6 Vented Hard Hats $11.00 :-)

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2017, 07:02 AM by whereswa11y » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2016, 04:36 AM »
When you go to install the dome drop it down between 1/2" to 1" for less cone effect.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

whereswa11y

« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2016, 12:37 PM »
I was a bit worried about being a cone head, so i did just that... dropped by around 1/2 inch ☺

whereswa11y

« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:32 AM »

Front of face now glued on, filled in most gaps with apoxie sculpt... a bit more to go :-)

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2017, 02:55 PM »
Nice...  ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

whereswa11y

« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:28 AM »
It has been a little while since my last post. I've painted up my helmet, put auto tint on a clear face shield and added a few washes of grime. I'm not sure if I got too carried away with the weathering. Feedback?

whereswa11y

« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Hi guys, just wanted to check in to see how I go about asking someone from the approval team to see if this helmet is approvable or if I need to make some modifications (or do I have to write it off as an experiment?).

Cheers

Wayne

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Angry looking!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

whereswa11y

« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:31 AM »
Thanks... is angry looking good ? ☺

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Don't know how I missed this before.  I love bucket and hardhat builds.  I've got plans to start one of my own, eventually.  Gotta finish my OM kit and weapons arsenal before I tackle that. 

My only criticism, it looks a little long.  Better than too short.  What's it look like with your collar and shoulders?

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:09 AM »
Can you provide side and back pictures on you?
Do you have any padding in there at all?
Are your eyes level with the horizontal visor section?

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

whereswa11y

« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Hi, thanks for the questions.

I haven't installed my foam padding yet. It has been cut but not glued in. I can see through the visor. Here are some more photos:

Front

Side A

Rear

Side B

No photos with armor or flight suit just yet as I'm still shaping plates etc.

Cheers

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2017, 01:52 PM »
If you're looking through the horizontal section of the visor how much can you trim from the bottom before your chin starts to show. As the face is very long. I think the main issue causing that is the horizontal is actually placed too high. Once you add some padding it will sit the helmet higher and you'll be looking at the inside of the helmet. The front face when sen from the side is also angled inwards instead of flaring outwards like the sides of the helmet do. Those two items combined give it a rather strange profile and overall it is a little more reminiscent in base shape of a Crusader era helmet than a modern helmet given the lack of any cheek indents along with the above.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

whereswa11y

« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Hmmm... looking for some positives here ☺height of the dome was a tricky one. My pre-build research indicated that i should be wary of keeping the top too high as many hard hat builds were almost too much of a dome head. I followed advice to reduce the dome height. There is a bit of room to have the bottom of the helmet trimmed up so it isnt too long. I actually like the length.

I'm  keen to hear some feedback from other people before i start trimming. I'll also have a bit of a read about the crusaders.

Thanks

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!