Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Anansi's WIP Longstrike-Based Carbine

• 51 Replies

Yolah Hyperion

• "Speak softly and carry a heavy blaster"
Re: Anansi's WIP Longstrike-Based Carbine
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Go on....

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises."
Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:47 PM »
All right, the weather is a little friendlier so I can resume painting. There were a couple of rough spots on the carbine so after some sanding and cleanup it was time for another round of paint. Krylon's metallic is ok but it the glittery bits make it look like cheap metal, so I hit it and the 35s with some Tamiya Silver Leaf, which has a lot smoother finish.

A few coats and then, following the advice (kinda sorta) of Syko Voss in another post, I hit 'em with 2 coats of clear. Once that dried for a few hours, it was time for the first round of masks and black, part of Krylon's camo series. It's a nice deep matte.

Next up, color.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:49 PM »
Oooo....pretty. ;D

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I'm getting closer to finishing up my weapons. After a few rounds of painting (and resanding) and painting and masking and...you get the idea. Here is the result:

Hmm. That's a little blurry. Time for a close up.

They are so pretty, I almost hate to move to the next step and rough them up. But I have to do what I have to do.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:54 AM »
Looking good there vod! 8)

I might be too picky, but the red blaster looks more glossy than the blue one. You're weathering probably will take care of it. Just something to keep in mind. :)

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2017, 11:20 AM »
It is glossier. The red I had on hand was a gloss enamel. In it's current state, it has a nice contrast against the matte black but I'm going to hit everything with 220 - 600 grit to beat it down before giving them a black and brown wash.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Kandosii. 8) I look forward to seeing it! ;D

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2017, 12:17 PM »
As much as it pained me to do this, it was time to make these weapons look "well-loved". As I said before, I took to them with sand papers from 220 to 600 and here's the result:

I'm not viciously scuffing the paint on the carbine because if there's one I'd take care of really well, it'd be my weapon. I will however, hit it with a bit of drybrushing before black (and brown) washing it.

Then it was time for the 35s. This hurt the most.

These are a little more worn because they are my parents' side arms. Well, the "damage" is done. It's time to get them dirty.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2017, 12:47 PM »
So last weekend, I scuffed up the beautiful paint jobs on my weapons and this weekend I made them actually look used.

I know we call it "blackwash" but if you only use black paint, you're missing out. Grime and dirt are not just one uniform color. What I have here is Black, Charcoal, Brown Iron Oxide and Autumn Brown as well as a little silver to add in a few more scuffs.

Hit any "exposed metal" with more brown to give the impression of rust...

or dirt

And before you know it, everything looks like it's been to Nal Hutta and back

Added a few more shades of brown: Brown Velvet and Burnt Umber

I also added a sling to the carbine but I think I'll probably pull the pad off as it tends to get in the way.

And that's it. I think I've taken these weapons as far as I can. But, if you have an suggestions or input, don't hold back.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #34 on: Mar 06, 2017, 12:56 PM »
:o :o :o :o

I really like those vod! Well done!

Berit Haran

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #35 on: Mar 13, 2017, 04:24 AM »
I love your weathering detail! Super nice :D

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #36 on: Mar 13, 2017, 10:40 PM »
Normally, I don't care for Westar 35 blasters, but the weathering on yours is very well done.

The carbine is also very well done.  The only negative thing, and it's just my aesthetic opinion, is the stock.  It's clearly a 2x6.  It could use a lot more shape to it, especially right behind the pistol grip.  I mean, if you were ever stranded on Kamino, you could use it as a paddle to get to Tipoca City.  😉

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #37 on: Mar 14, 2017, 07:29 PM »
The funny thing about the stock is that it's a cut down version of the base stock for the Longstrike. It's hard to believe but it's also the same width as well. Further, the wood was a pain in the shebs to work with as the darker rings seem to be much more dense than the rest of the wood. Still, it adds a nice weight to the whole thing, plus it's removable. It's also great for bashing heads (or locks) and paddling up the creek.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #38 on: Mar 14, 2017, 09:33 PM »
Gotta say reading and studying the pictures I was stunned the entire time. You really did an amazing job.

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #39 on: Mar 14, 2017, 11:57 PM »
I've forgotten my manners so I just wanted to say vor'e to all of you following this thread. Your feedback has definitely kept me from getting discouraged along the way.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #40 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:02 PM »
The funny thing about the stock is that it's a cut down version of the base stock for the Longstrike. It's hard to believe but it's also the same width as well. Further, the wood was a pain in the shebs to work with as the darker rings seem to be much more dense than the rest of the wood. Still, it adds a nice weight to the whole thing, plus it's removable. It's also great for bashing heads (or locks) and paddling up the creek.

Insert picture of Anansi on a log paddling up a stream with his carbine 😂

Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora

Kalib Vallogo

• Never get between a Mandalorian and a weapons pack
« Reply #41 on: Mar 25, 2017, 02:34 PM »
Your Westar's look awesome. Some people may call them blocks of wood but to me simple ,canon and colorful is all you need in the Star Wars world.

« Reply #42 on: Mar 26, 2017, 09:04 PM »
very nice! :D

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #43 on: Mar 26, 2017, 09:27 PM »

Awesome Vod!  I've been looking for a good tutorial to show someone how much work they'd need to put into a "nerf" gun to make it look like a Star Wars gun.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #44 on: Aug 13, 2017, 12:23 AM »
Just a really minor update. I stared at the stock of my carbine for a good long time and while I was mostly ok with it, I decided to make it look less like a block of wood and more like a "proper" stock.

Now I just need to re-stain it and then I think I will feel comfortable permanently attaching it to the carbine.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #45 on: Aug 13, 2017, 08:35 AM »
Its amazing to see just how far the  progress made on your rifle has come!
Youve definitely given me a couple ideas, keep up the good work!

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Durkev Zandar

• TC/BH-7278
« Reply #46 on: Aug 13, 2017, 09:48 AM »
 ;)

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #47 on: Sep 04, 2017, 09:21 PM »
Ok, this isn't about the carbine. I decided I also wanted a stabbity stick so today, I made a vibroblade. I based it on this dagger from The Clone Wars:

Thankfully, I had some 6mm sintra laying around.

A short time later:

And there we are. More to come later.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #48 on: Sep 05, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Oooo... stabby sticks are always handy. True Mandos keep one under the pillow for safety.

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #49 on: Sep 09, 2017, 11:37 PM »
I also built this little number I call my "Skeleton Key"

It's a focused thermite charge

And it lets me open any door I want.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!