Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Anansi's WIP Longstrike-Based Carbine

• 51 Replies

Anansi

• Nevik Marev
Re: Anansi's WIP Longstrike-Based Carbine
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2017, 11:20 AM »
It is glossier. The red I had on hand was a gloss enamel. In it's current state, it has a nice contrast against the matte black but I'm going to hit everything with 220 - 600 grit to beat it down before giving them a black and brown wash.

Ju'siik Kelborn

• Formerly 'Madviola'
  • Anade buirk val nar
« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Kandosii. 8) I look forward to seeing it! ;D
Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson.

Anansi

• Nevik Marev
« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2017, 12:17 PM »
As much as it pained me to do this, it was time to make these weapons look "well-loved". As I said before, I took to them with sand papers from 220 to 600 and here's the result:

I'm not viciously scuffing the paint on the carbine because if there's one I'd take care of really well, it'd be my weapon. I will however, hit it with a bit of drybrushing before black (and brown) washing it.

Then it was time for the 35s. This hurt the most.

These are a little more worn because they are my parents' side arms. Well, the "damage" is done. It's time to get them dirty.

Anansi

• Nevik Marev
« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2017, 12:47 PM »
So last weekend, I scuffed up the beautiful paint jobs on my weapons and this weekend I made them actually look used.

I know we call it "blackwash" but if you only use black paint, you're missing out. Grime and dirt are not just one uniform color. What I have here is Black, Charcoal, Brown Iron Oxide and Autumn Brown as well as a little silver to add in a few more scuffs.

Hit any "exposed metal" with more brown to give the impression of rust...

or dirt

And before you know it, everything looks like it's been to Nal Hutta and back

Added a few more shades of brown: Brown Velvet and Burnt Umber

I also added a sling to the carbine but I think I'll probably pull the pad off as it tends to get in the way.

And that's it. I think I've taken these weapons as far as I can. But, if you have an suggestions or input, don't hold back.

Ju'siik Kelborn

• Formerly 'Madviola'
  • Anade buirk val nar
« Reply #34 on: Mar 06, 2017, 12:56 PM »
:o :o :o :o

I really like those vod! Well done!
Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson.

Berit Ma'san

• Formerly 'scipioblade'
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #35 on: Mar 13, 2017, 04:24 AM »
I love your weathering detail! Super nice :D

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #36 on: Mar 13, 2017, 10:40 PM »
Normally, I don't care for Westar 35 blasters, but the weathering on yours is very well done.

The carbine is also very well done.  The only negative thing, and it's just my aesthetic opinion, is the stock.  It's clearly a 2x6.  It could use a lot more shape to it, especially right behind the pistol grip.  I mean, if you were ever stranded on Kamino, you could use it as a paddle to get to Tipoca City.  😉

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Anansi

• Nevik Marev
« Reply #37 on: Mar 14, 2017, 07:29 PM »
The funny thing about the stock is that it's a cut down version of the base stock for the Longstrike. It's hard to believe but it's also the same width as well. Further, the wood was a pain in the shebs to work with as the darker rings seem to be much more dense than the rest of the wood. Still, it adds a nice weight to the whole thing, plus it's removable. It's also great for bashing heads (or locks) and paddling up the creek.

Gol Nazyne Vizsla

• Formerly 'Nazyne'
« Reply #38 on: Mar 14, 2017, 09:33 PM »
Gotta say reading and studying the pictures I was stunned the entire time. You really did an amazing job.

Anansi

• Nevik Marev
« Reply #39 on: Mar 14, 2017, 11:57 PM »
I've forgotten my manners so I just wanted to say vor'e to all of you following this thread. Your feedback has definitely kept me from getting discouraged along the way.

Yolah Hyperion

• USAF
« Reply #40 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:02 PM »
The funny thing about the stock is that it's a cut down version of the base stock for the Longstrike. It's hard to believe but it's also the same width as well. Further, the wood was a pain in the shebs to work with as the darker rings seem to be much more dense than the rest of the wood. Still, it adds a nice weight to the whole thing, plus it's removable. It's also great for bashing heads (or locks) and paddling up the creek.

Insert picture of Anansi on a log paddling up a stream with his carbine 😂
Armor and Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=121527.0

Helmet WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=138672.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises."
Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora

Kalib Vallogo

• Never get between a Mandalorian and a weapons pack
« Reply #41 on: Mar 25, 2017, 02:34 PM »
Your Westar's look awesome. Some people may call them blocks of wood but to me simple ,canon and colorful is all you need in the Star Wars world.

« Reply #42 on: Mar 26, 2017, 09:04 PM »
very nice! :D

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC# 1330&1330b ORB#033 TDE#388
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #43 on: Mar 26, 2017, 09:27 PM »

Awesome Vod!  I've been looking for a good tutorial to show someone how much work they'd need to put into a "nerf" gun to make it look like a Star Wars gun.
Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
B.E.A.R.D.S #137
Mando Rider #038
ALUMINATI# 036
MLCS# 026
Mandalorian Armour WIP
OM Troops: 37
Late Crusader 1330b

Anansi

• Nevik Marev
« Reply #44 on: Aug 13, 2017, 12:23 AM »
Just a really minor update. I stared at the stock of my carbine for a good long time and while I was mostly ok with it, I decided to make it look less like a block of wood and more like a "proper" stock.

Now I just need to re-stain it and then I think I will feel comfortable permanently attaching it to the carbine.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!