Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ordeyn's New Kit!

• 19 Replies

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Ordeyn's New Kit!
« on: Nov 16, 2016, 11:18 PM »
So. It's been FOREVER since I made anything new, and I finally started on a second kit. ;D It's a kit for my Saz krayt dragon helmet, so desert/scub colorness is happening, and I'm wanting to join the Beast Master Brigade. I'm trying to focus on putting in as much detail into this kit as possible without being overwhelming, and that means paying good, close attention to how my soft parts are implimented.

I've had an idea for a while and then got some new inspiration recently to combine the old idea with:

Made my vest from scratch (and the funny elbow thing) which isn't complete yet:

Made some chaps from scratch (and modified my pants to hide stuff like pockets using pockets -- pocket-ception):

And then promptly modified my chaps because I felt like they were too long:

Which brings us to here:

I'm not crazy about the gloves because they're black, but they're so comfortable and they fit wonderfully. The pouches will be mounted on a belt (I stole them from some cargo pants). I'll make a neckseal at some point here, and there's a lot more to be done on the lower extremeties. I have more ideas on other details for my arms as well that I'm playing around with. A girth belt will be in the middle, and I'm shooting for a braided belt there. I won't really know what I'm doing for some of it until I have armor to bounce solutions off of.

I would love some opinions on how things are looking at the moment. I would especially like to know whether or not the loincloth and the chaps together are too much. On that note, I will probably end up making a cod peice regardless, amongst other things, so I can wear this kit as light and medium and even heavy in a few different combinations. So far, this kit has a crap ton of different colors and fabric textures, but I'm hoping it still works becuase it's all in the same general color scheme. Plus, I'm thinking that making the armor one main color will increase unity significantly. For now, I'm digging the current eclectic state of what I have.

Thanks everybody!

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
Re: Ordeyn's New Kit!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2016, 12:21 AM »
I think overall, everything looks good. I agree with you on the gloves being a bit off since they're black, but if they fit....   :laugh:

I think the chaps and loin cloth look good together, personally. If you do want to brigade though, you will need a codplate.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2016, 08:37 PM »
Those chaps look really good.  Is there a pattern you used to make those?  I'm really liking your kit so far.  Kind of a steampunk, Lara Croft vibe to it.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2016, 09:04 PM »
Looks awesome so far :).

Also yay for more kits with chaps!

You concept art for the kit looks good plate wise, I don't have any issue with a mixture of colors and textures with your soft goods and I think it adds depth to the kit over all. And your flight suit is the same color across the board so you are good CRL wise on that count.

As someone that wears full chaps with my legacy kit. I would say cod over loincloth as the chaps create interesting lines and the loincloth breaks up those lines. But really it is just a matter of personal taste there. And as Aria pointed out a codpiece makes any future bridges easier to get into.

As for the gloves, I agree that currently the black really stands out. I think if you added black elsewhere it wouldn't be an issue. You could do a black girth belt, sash or shoulder cape. I think if you have black elsewhere on the kit then you don't have to worry about the black gloves standing out.

All in all, I am really digging this kit and I am looking forward to seeing it come together :D

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Following this one! ;D

Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi.
                                              -Jango Fett
MTS (Mando-Tough) #098

Eitanya

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Following as well, I love the concept and the chaps add some nice interest!

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:27 PM »
No huge updates, but it's something.

Darth_Venom: Here's the chaps laid out so you can see them completely. I did not use a pattern, so what I didn't instead was laid the fabric on my leg and traced what I wanted using a chalk pencil. I basically made everything up as I went. :rolleyes:

I altered the loin cloth in two ways. I cut some holes to thread most of the leather strings through to keep the fabric from slumping at the top.

I also changed my super sophisticated closure method of tying a knot to black leather and buckles. I'm going to try and sneak in small amounts of black where I can to see if I can get the gloves to work.

And here's the detail of the leather strings on the kama for kicks and giggles.

I will be doing a cod piece (Thank you for your help, Aria!), and it'll probably go under the kama.

Aria

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:38 AM »
No problem!

I'm really digging those details on the strings.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Love the progress you are making. Commenting to follow further :)

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Soft parts are amazing. Yours especially! I love when people take the time to make really amazing soft parts-- it just makes the rest of the kit look 100%.

My husband did chaps for his mando by modifying a pair of existing pants--well, ok, I did it for him :P Basically he put them on and we traced out the design he wanted.  Cut em' up, finished the edges, and voila!

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

girrox211

• Helmet on. Heart Gone.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:37 AM »
I'm digging this so far. I love the idea of the strings for the loin cloth. Following this piece for sure!

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:31 AM »
Awesome ! I wish my soft parts were as good as yours ! There's a lot of details and everything seems to fit just fine.

(Desert mandos for the win !)

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:26 AM »
Not an update, but here's some shots of the armband per request:

I haven't decided if I'm keeping it, however. If I do, I'll be armoring it.

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2017, 12:55 PM »
Wow wow wow I love that!!! I mean...no don't keep it I'll happily dispose of it for you  :P thanks again!!!! Can't wait to see what's next!!!

One sword keeps another in the sheath

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 10:42 PM »
Little update:

Found some gaiters while looking for an anvil at antique stores. They were like 8 bucks so I was like, well duh I'm buying these. They came pre-weather from like a real war or something so that's pretty neat. I also took many liberties with the cheap boots I bought online to make them work (aka, I chopped off the top of them). More to come in the summer! Hoping to get started on plates sooooooooon.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:53 AM by Ordeyn » Logged

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 11:42 PM »
Nice find vod!

Aria

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 02:02 AM »
I love those gaiters. One of our ruus'alors has the same ones. WWII, I think?

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Drgnldyg

• Ga'net Kenaal
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Chaps! Oh Man! Why didnt I think of that...love those.

MMCC#1766  Talon Clan

Grey Brigade OT#51    M.V.S. #054
M5 #86
« Reply #18 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:53 AM »
Love your designs so far!  I will definitely be following to see your progress.

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #19 on: Jun 07, 2017, 07:24 PM »

Found some gaiters while looking for an anvil at antique stores. They were like 8 bucks so I was like, well duh I'm buying these. They came pre-weather from like a real war or something so that's pretty neat. I also took many liberties with the cheap boots I bought online to make them work (aka, I chopped off the top of them). More to come in the summer! Hoping to get started on plates sooooooooon.

YAAAAAASSS!!! Gaiter LOVE! I'm making a pair myself for my kit, and I'm excited to see other people doing similar with their kit. I think all your soft parts so far are amaze-balls. I particularly LOVE the chaps idea, and it works really well with the loin-cloth/kama you have going on.

:D
~Kaylin

Mirdala Kyr’am
Alor'ad- Vhetin'Ade Clan; June 2022- Present
Ruus'alor Solyc- Vhetin'Ade Clan; 2017- 2022
App Team Q&A
Ruus'sol for Western Region- USA
OM #1899

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!