Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rick's question, research, and planning thread

• 9 Replies

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Rick's question, research, and planning thread
« on: Dec 05, 2016, 01:20 PM »
Hello vode,
I started collecting bookmarks here and in Chrome, web clips in Evernote and quickly realized that I was going to have to ask some questions and should start a new thread.

I like building things, but I'm not super creative.  I like black, grey, and maroon, so will probably do something in those colors.  I also have some ideas for a rifle and spotter droid, so may think towards a sniper after the basic kit is done.

To Do:
  • Helmet
  • Armor
  • Gauntlets
  • Soft parts
  • Weapon

I thought for my first bucket, I would try the pepakura/bondo route.  I especially like the SWJFH - A7R look.

(I hope its ok using someone else's image this way, if not let me know and I'll remove it.)

Here's the tutorial on building the helmet.  Epoxy resin can be used in place of fiberglass resin, and is less dangerous, and can be used inside.

{Edit 12-07-2016} Here's another pepakura tutorial.

I have all Macs at home.  Has anyone ever used DunreebCutout or the wineskin method to work with pepakura files on a Mac?

I do have a PC at work which I can use to print the files to PDF if I can't get it to work at home.  I'll hopefully have some time over the Christmas break to get started on this.

For armor, I plan to go Light to Medium.  I do have a pretty big belly, but I'm not a huge fan of the Legacy look.  We'll see if the Jango templates look ok when I get around to printing them out.  I want to use 3mm-4mm sintra.  I may have a source from a local printing company, but if not, it seems pretty reasonable on Amazon

For the flight suit, I'm going with scrubs.  My local Wally world has them for about $6 a piece.

That's all for now.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick

{edit 12-08-2016}
I found the Mando Maker and came up with a concept.

Basically a maroon flight suit.  The armor will have been maroon at one time, but will now mostly be black, with the maroon (and base metal color) showing through the weathering.  This of course assumes I can find maroon scrubs that aren't too pinkish.

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2016, 01:27 PM by rlobrecht » Logged
Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

rlobrecht

Re: Rick's question, research, and planning thread
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:22 AM »
I started a WIP thread for my helmet here

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

Kyra Iscandar

• She/They
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:14 AM »
Love the maroon, vod  :)

Kar'tayl cuy kot

rlobrecht

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2016, 01:09 PM »
Thanks.  Four years in College Station tends to sear maroon onto one's psyche.

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:53 PM »
Good luck with that helmet build. Never mastered the papercrafts yet.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:23 AM »
I have that same one on my current kit(except in OD), and one of my clan's Ruus'alors has one in black on his kit, so they're definitely approvable. The pouches are also the perfect size for holding keys and battery banks and charging cables. If you plan on doing an amp at all, or carrying a phone/camera while in kit you will want to get a secondary pouch for that in addition to the belt you've linked.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

rlobrecht

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:52 AM »
Thank you, Fenris.

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2017, 01:44 PM »
That'll be a nice addition for your kit. I just sent myself that link for a future purchase, so thank you.  ;)

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736

rlobrecht

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2017, 10:28 AM »
I started a soft parts WIP.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!