Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Shevla's Pic heavy concepts thread

• 5 Replies

Shevla Ram'ser

• Osik, they have a tank...
Shevla's Pic heavy concepts thread
« on: Dec 06, 2016, 02:51 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums for a darned long time, and I've been goofing around with character design the whole long while. I'm just going to go through a small selection of pictures, there will be a wall of text at the far end of this post.

The earliest drawing of what I consider to be "Shevla," the Mando I want to build, has been kicking around since what I tentatively date as late 2009. I've always wanted to do a Recon or Sniper type of character- if the forum name Shevla Ram'ser, or "Silent Sniper," didn't make that abundantly obvious. Fun Fact- the Brigades didn't exist yet, when I penned this! This early version was heavily influenced by Mereel Adenla and Dha'ward Krayt, and you can see that very influential post here; http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=28402.0 I think that the influence is apparent.

Fast forward to 2011, and the Brigades exist! I've always thought it would be less work, in the long run, to build a kit with the end goal in mind. In this image, top and center, you can see my awful handwriting, and that is the design checklist for the Recon Brigade. I've moved from 'Bic' pen and colored pencil, to 'Sharpie' and watercolor pencils. This is basically the same kit, but without the red accent colors I had been playing with.

When I registered my account I was a verd'ika, and I didn't have a parent that would be convinced to join with me. Up until my 18th birthday, that was my excuse for not working on anything armor related. In 2013, I turned 18. This drawing is from around that time period. I still had the excuse of highschool to keep me from building anything. This design is a big shake up in design- it's were I end up with two different branching concepts, which you're going to see shortly. This design stuck to a "soldier" archetype, but was a light kit, where the "original" design thread was moving in a heavier direction. (this will make sense with the next couple pictures)

While the previous design was a little bit of a divergence from where things had been going, this design picks it back up where I had left off. This design is meant to also have a grey kama, but it is not pictured in the drawing from behind because I was playing with paneling with the flightsuit and it's construction, influenced by Rako Hardeen's character design. I've always loved Scout Trooper's and Kashyyk troopers, and these fill the same role I envisioned for my Mando, so I'm pulling more heavily on those as influences, as well.

Rako Hardeen; an undercover Identity of Obi Wan from The Clone Wars TV show

A kashyyk trooper! While it may not be obvious, my mando is supposed to have the same sort of inner thigh patch thing going on in the inner thigh / groin region.

A bonus, since this is a picture heavy thread... I saw this toy way early in my introduction to Mando's and I could never find it again for a very long time. This *crusader era* mando seems to have half sized plates above his knee plate, but below a boba-style pocket on the front of the leg. This is something I loved, and borrowed for my design.

Now for the "soldier" version of the character:

This Grey and Green "soldier" design as I have begun referring to it is the result of years of lurking on the forums and doodling mandos. I think it is been thought out pretty much as thoroughly as possible before getting into building. Suffice to say, I'm a little sick of it.

The design I mentioned being a fork in the road? The other fork of the road is a redesign on the "soldier" and leads to a Bonnie and Clyde, 1930's hot rod driving submachine gun toting "Gangster." I was trying to have a little more fun with my mando, and this design uses exactly the same armor components, but with the soft goods I am trying to bring to mind a dress shirt, with a loose tie, a vest, and a pair of slacks. My lovely significant other (and art major,) did the ink and marker drawing for me, as I have (accidentally?) introduced her to the Mercs, and now she is designing her own armor to join up as well. (She also did my signature banner!)

You're still here? I'm impressed! A wall of text, as promised;

At this time, I've developed two different character designs I could go and build. The original design thread is the "Soldier" concepts, Grey armor on Olive Drab soft goods. The Alternate Design, or "Gangster." is the same Grey armor with brown pants, and a light grey shirt.

The Gangster is a very basic kit, and that is appealing for a first build. It is a bare minimum Light armor set, on a pretty basic flightsuit.
The Soldier takes that same armor, but adds more complicated pants, with Boba style pockets, a half plate of armor between the pocket and the knee, and shin armor. Shin armor has leather strapping, and that leather strapping has X-wing Pilot or Sabine style flares attached. Soldier also has a small pauldron type plate covering the gap between the collar plate and shoulder plate, with a boba style half cape attached. This would be on my left shoulder, as I would be tucking my swarsy weapon up into my right shoulder when pretending to shoot things. *pew pew pew!* Soldier also has a kama.

Starting with that turning point drawing, that leads to these two different options, I've settled on a custom helmet design, which you should be able to see a little of in subsequent drawings. It's somewhere between an NME Stalker and a Pre Vizla Helmet, but simplified and streamlined.
I've played with markings for the armor to make things more interesting than solid boring plate. I've elected to do a two tone very light and pretty dark grey scheme with whatever design I end up with. (our Mandalore himself being the inspiration for that decision) Markings are also the same between the two designs.

I would be remiss to not also mention Kavyrn Falco, Ithaca, and perhaps most importantly, Remo Jadd, who have all been significant sources of inspiration to me fiddling with this.

Like I said, I've been a forum lurker since 2009. I've checked my profile- I registered an account on January 19th, 2010. Pretty soon it will have been seven years, and it's about time for a change. I'm from Vermont, and we have a group cropping up of hopefuls. We hope to have ourselves a squad at least in the coming year, and it's about time I got myself official. (Can we have a "longest lurker" contest? I bet I'd win! :) )

My question for you folks- I've done all of this character design and put all this thought into it. I have two potential designs I could build, and ultimately, I could build both. What do you think? Have a managed to miss something? I already know that it is very good advice to get yourself official, and afterwards do all the upgrades and fancy stuff. The icing on the cake. It is my feeling that the "Gangster" Mando is a much less complex design, so easier to achieve. That being said, I still love the "Soldier" design, even though it will drive me nuts to have it Approved as Official, but with any of the designed parts absent.

I'm sure I've missed something, but at this point I've listened to two episodes of Keldabe Talk Radio I had missed, and my brain is melting out my ears. This'll just have to do.

Please leave your comments, questions, concerns, thoughts, and nitpicks!
~Shevla

"If it's 'NERF or nothing' , I choose nothing..."

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Shevla's Pic heavy concepts thread
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:47 AM »
Simple is better the first time around. Get approved then worry about bells and whistles

The two concepts you have drawn up are very similar in general design, so really just start with the light armor requirements and as time goes on add extra plates as you see fit. I would suggest just doing the basic flight suit, you can add thigh pockets, and little touches to it later. Worry about all the extras just pushes the finish line further down the line.

And to be 100% honest even if you did every little upgrade and extra pass the basic light kit, you are still going to spend the next well forever  :laugh: upgrading your kit. Your build is never done :) So just focus on getting in the door and worry with the other stuff later.

Heck I have been an OM for just under a year, and I am already on almost finished with my V.3 of my kit. I know OMs that have done five repaints in under a year. People are always making little changes and shifts to there kit.

Print yourself off some templates, grab a nice big sheet of sintra and get the ball rolling :D. Once you start the build you will be that much closer to becoming an OM! and we are all here to help you get there if you haven't done so connect with your local clan and start heading out to armor parties and before you know it you will have your kill stripes and then the real fun can start!

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:30 PM »
Lol.  Well....there's not much more I can say that Naran didn't already cover...  :laugh:

So I'll just say that is some very slick concept work.  I love it!  I really like the idea of the smaller thigh plates w/ pouches...very cool idea.  Good luck with everything vod, I'm excited to see where it goes from here!!

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:19 PM »
are flight suits not supposed to be one solid colour so that they look like they are one piece?

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:28 PM »

Fast forward to 2011, and the Brigades exist! I've always thought it would be less work, in the long run, to build a kit with the end goal in mind. In this image, top and center, you can see my awful handwriting, and that is the design checklist for the Recon Brigade. I've moved from 'Bic' pen and colored pencil, to 'Sharpie' and watercolor pencils. This is basically the same kit, but without the red accent colors I had been playing with.

This Grey and Green "soldier" design as I have begun referring to it is the result of years of lurking on the forums and doodling mandos. I think it is been thought out pretty much as thoroughly as possible before getting into building. Suffice to say, I'm a little sick of it.

My question for you folks- I've done all of this character design and put all this thought into it. I have two potential designs I could build, and ultimately, I could build both. What do you think? Have a managed to miss something? I already know that it is very good advice to get yourself official, and afterwards do all the upgrades and fancy stuff. The icing on the cake. It is my feeling that the "Gangster" Mando is a much less complex design, so easier to achieve. That being said, I still love the "Soldier" design, even though it will drive me nuts to have it Approved as Official, but with any of the designed parts absent.

I'm sure I've missed something, but at this point I've listened to two episodes of Keldabe Talk Radio I had missed, and my brain is melting out my ears. This'll just have to do.

Please leave your comments, questions, concerns, thoughts, and nitpicks!
~Shevla

Looking good Shevla, I love the sketches you did early on with the green and grey colours.  As Jett mentioned above if you go with your "Gangster" Mando you will need to have matching either grey or brown, bottom or top respectively.  You'll want it to appear as one piece.  As far as which one you want to build first I would say the simplest one, mimicking what Naran said.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Kit#1 Karl Dha'Werda WIP - Nov 2015
Kit#2 'Late' Crusader WIP - Dec 2016
Kit#3 PI Survivor WIP - ETA May/June 2024
Oyu'baat - OM Troops: 88
mandalorianarmour.org

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04:06 PM »
the gangster concept would also require a neck seal. ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!