Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Burt's Legacy WIP (pic heavy)

• 54 Replies

Burt_

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Burt's Legacy WIP (pic heavy)
« on: Dec 08, 2016, 04:58 AM »
Hello there,

This is my legacy mandalorian build.

I started with the helmet. I wanted to use the A7R helmet with this.

First print was too big. I scaled this next to a previous helmet that fit great. Not sure what I did wrong...

2nd print was too small. Dangit. -10% was too much.

3rd print is perfect. -5% was the ticket.

Now, to finish and smooth this.

------------

Next is the armor.

Templates. I think these are Drake's Small templates.

I like to do things the hard way, so of course I cut out my sintra right away. 3mm sintra, I used a heavy boxcutter knife.

Bottom plate that the plates attach to. This was interesting to shape.

Heat, shape. Glue. I used super glue and clamps. My desk is a mess, I'm sorry :)

Here's the shoulders. I love how they look. Drilled a hole through each, and stuck some paperclips through to hold it in place just for now. I will rivet them soon once I'm more sure on the placement I want.

Cross armed test.

Body shot with chest/helmet.

Roughly an idea of what the shoulders + helmet look like together. This was hard to take a pic of myself and hold all of this. Helmet has no padding so its kind of falling down a bit.

One shoulder, chest and helmet to see for sizing. How is it? Keep in mind, I'm holding it to my body and it was tough to do :s

Chest is not done and still needs shaping. I'd like to add another ab plate or two.

--------

Flight suit! It needs to be tailored, I think. The legs/butt/arms are kind of big and poofy. I'm going to be wearing a full cape though, what do you think?

----------------

My left gauntlet has a nice start to it. I like making the greeblies.

And my gun of choice I plan to mod and clean up. A really lucky find at the dollar store. I love this style of revolver.

Thanks for checking it out, and more to come.

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2016, 05:03 AM by Burt_ » Logged

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Burt's Legacy WIP (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Well you look to be well on your way, plates look good.

When using that style shoulder make sure they don't sit too high off form the body, which is a very common issue with that shoulder design. As right where you have them they are up too high, they are almost touching your helmet. I would bring them down by at least a inch.

Other than that keep up the good work!

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:26 PM »
I'm digging what you have so far....my third kit-in-progress is a Mando gunslinger, since I'm a fan of the Old West; I just had my son build me a couple of Colt Galactic Walkers...

Keep up the good work! :)

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Burt_

« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Well you look to be well on your way, plates look good.

When using that style shoulder make sure they don't sit too high off form the body, which is a very common issue with that shoulder design. As right where you have them they are up too high, they are almost touching your helmet. I would bring them down by at least a inch.

Other than that keep up the good work!

PHEW! This was my biggest fear, having the plates be wrong. I had some anxiety after I posted this, man am I happy now!

And yep, you're 100% right on the shoulders. I'll be sure to move them down. It was just tough holding them for a pic :s

I'm digging what you have so far....my third kit-in-progress is a Mando gunslinger, since I'm a fan of the Old West; I just had my son build me a couple of Colt Galactic Walkers...

Rob

Ohl'd Vart! Thank you! This is exactly what I'm aiming for. I grew up watching a TON of Gunsmoke and lots of westerns (thanks Dad, to my mother's dismay lol!). I love Marshall Dillon and the big man himself, John Wayne!

I plan to build a staff Vibro Blade? Polearm Vibro Blade? You know, an excuse to have a 'walking stick' to lean on when it gets hot!  :laugh: I've got some green acrylic and some El wire that will be pretty rad....

Now for a small update, nothing fancy.

Some sanding with a 150 flap wheel on my dremel, and slap on some bondo and wait to dry. I've never used a flap wheel before and I'll have to say I think it works better than a standard sanding drum for PLA 3D prints.

I forgot to post my thighs. I still think I need to cut them down a bit. I'll wait on that though.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:27 PM »
You can't go wrong with Gunsmoke...it's one of the best. My personal favorite is Have Gun - Will Travel...I'm a big Paladin fan. ;)

Rob

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:31 PM »
Yeah I would cut down the thigh plates for sure, pretty much all of the thigh plate patterns are too large for 80% of folks. You could easily reduce your thigh plates by 10 to 15% and be fine with sizing.

Also as a guy that rocks full chaps with his kit and a lovely set of western style crossdraw holsters. I am always on board for more western style mandos :D

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2016, 07:22 AM »
I plan to build a staff Vibro Blade? Polearm Vibro Blade? You know, an excuse to have a 'walking stick' to lean on when it gets hot!  :laugh: I've got some green acrylic and some El wire that will be pretty rad....

This should be interesting, seeing your progress so far, especially those gauntlets I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.  Also interested in how you convert your revolvers.

Now for a small update, nothing fancy.

Vod this is really awesome.  I'm excited to watch your progress to a full kit.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 85
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Corvas Ta'niyr

• Sushir at taor be simir
  • Awards 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Most invasions trooped in 2017 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Your thigh plate looks like it's on the wrong leg.  The "open" part of the plate (towards the outside of the leg)  should be on the inside of the thigh as to not pinch the sensitive bits.

When I did my thighs - I took about 2 inches from the overall length (I'm 5'6") from the "small" template but left the overall width where it was.

Other than that, I can only echo the positive feedback that has already been shared.

Corvas

Sushir at ashi- o' at katahre bal kathtare- val mr ganar etie gehat'ik at rejorhaa'ir - Listen to others - even the dull and ignorant - They too have their story to tell.

G.O.M.O.L # 004
MiB #003
GBOT #013

Burt_

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2016, 05:17 AM »
Your thigh plate looks like it's on the wrong leg.

Woops! Nice catch!

I've had some folks ask about the 3D print file for this helmet, I plan on sharing it, I just want to make sure I have permission from the original artist of the Pepakura file before I do.

Here's a small update. I've been sick, so I didn't get anything done this weekend.

First step is to sand that bondo off. I like to wet sand, because 1) I get to do it indoors in the A/C (or heat! too cold outside now!) and 2) NO DUST! I don't suggest doing this in the kitchen, unless your wife is OK with it. I am the wife so.. its my sink! I'll make a big mess if I want!  :laugh:
I used the sand foam block thing, but  I'll be honest, they kind of suck. Stick to wet/dry sand paper, a lot easier to handle. The foam block does have its uses though.

Rinse, dry.

Step 2 is filler primer. This is after only one layer, and its still wet. You can still see some print lines, but a lot of it is already gone after that first bit of Bondo.

This is fully dried, and I believe 3 layers of filler primer. I haven't sanded the filler primer yet. I'm really excited about this! Its already looking awesome!

AndySanchez

• There's always a bigger fish, it's me.
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2016, 02:29 PM »
Beautiful helmet! Are you doing Amy shapes or ovelaying pieces on your armor to add more consistency iin the styles?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Your thigh plate looks like it's on the wrong leg.  The "open" part of the plate (towards the outside of the leg)  should be on the inside of the thigh as to not pinch the sensitive bits.

(unless you're Jango and then a wardrobe malfunction means his are also on the wrong leg... :P)

I also think you'll need to cut them down, the thigh templates are a little oversized for some reason.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Burt_

« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Hello! I'm back, and haven't forgotten this.

I finished my commission and finally had some time to get back to this.

I picked up my coverall today from the seamstress. Its a great fit now!

I've got my cape. Its just a rectangle right now, but the color is pretty close to what my armor color is going to be and I'm pretty happy. In better lighting it will be even better. I can't believe I was able to find duck cloth in a teal color like this, and not to mention the online images weren't far off from what I got, what are the chances!

Helmet has been reinforced. I need to rivet my shoulders and figure out a nice looking connection from shoulders/chest.
I might add a range finder; that one is just taped on for now  ;D

Bondo phase. Need to clean up a lot of print lines.

(unless you're Jango and then a wardrobe malfunction means his are also on the wrong leg.)

I also think you'll need to cut them down, the thigh templates are a little oversized for some reason.

I'm going to cut them down and adjust them, they are too big. And make sure they are on the right leg  :laugh:

Beautiful helmet! Are you doing Amy shapes or ovelaying pieces on your armor to add more consistency iin the styles?

I am going to try to. I will probably match it with a paint theme. I'm really looking forward to paint this armor :D

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:20 AM »
I'm diggin' that Kylo, too!  :D

Rob

Burt_

« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:16 PM »
I painted up some pieces of my armor.

Clean, before weathering.

After weathering. My method is paint, blackwash with acrylic, then chrome the edges with a dry brush.

Thigh plates

shoulder with my logo on it.

Chest plate

Chest plate with shoulders

Girth Belt

Pretty side

Dirty side. I didn't think my machine would sew this stuff so I opted for hotglue. Its messy, but it works. Some simple loops, with some elastic to tie them together.

-------------------

I did a quick test fit.

Sorry, I had to mess with the color so you could see my ammo pouch and boots. Keep in mind I took this solo, and it is still a WIP.

My thighs are only strapped at the bottom, I'm still working on strapping them, not 100% sure how I want to do it, add another strap to the tops of the thigh to go around my leg, or a strap from the top of the thigh to the belt that loops around.

Chest needs adjustments, it kind of chokes me a bit. Cape needs to be adjusted. I want to be able to just slip the whole chest piece/cape over my head and put it on easily (I'm close!)

Gauntlets, kneecaps, and helmet still WIP. Still debating on wearing a loin cloth or making a cod piece. I have extra fabric from my  cape that is perfect... I've seen a few armored loincloths that look really cool too which I've thought about.

Bonus: My mempo mask I might use when I take my helmet off for fun. I've had it printed up for a long time but could never decide on a paint scheme. Made it match my mando suit :)

Question: Do I still need a flak vest? I was planning on getting one, but after this test fit, I'm worried about heat. Adding another layer would be really difficult and make wearing this ensemble.. probably hotter than my Master Chief suit :s   

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2017, 07:24 PM by Burt_ » Logged
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:30 PM »
Yes a flak vest is required.

Thel Ihveen

• Stirring the concept pot.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:02 PM »
The chrome drybrushing on your plates is absolutely fantastic! Coupled with the black wash - it's simple and works so well! Did you use acrylic paints for the chrome, too?

Cyberdemon

• Just point me at what you want destroyed
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:07 AM »
I love that paint job it looks rely cool. I have a question for you did you end up making it so your chest plates don,t move and are one piece or they segmented.

« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Following! This is amazing!!  (and I reaaaaaaaalllly love that helmet!)

DAK Beroya

• Awards 40+ hrs of charity work Family events Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:44 PM »
love that lid so much i need it in my life

OM#1498               M.A.R.S. #42
B.O.O.M #26          V.O.T.S # 59
ALUMINATI #39      G.O.M.O.L # 021
D.A.D.M #001         M.A.C.K #29
troops 62 I think

bolakor

• I like my pirates like my coffee. Burnt.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:28 PM »
So THIS is where this thread went!!

So glad to see you getting to your finishing stages, i still just have a bbit  of soft goods and a helmet T~T

Soft goods; 50% done
Armor; 0% done
weapons; 20% done
ideas; 110%

"You are most welcome here, my dear woman. I have an endless supply of theories about Jedi abilities—yet I keep running out of Jedi."
―Demagol

Icar "The Red" R'vala'a

• Home is where the armor is
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:28 PM »
love the colors and your bucket. You are well on your way to becoming official

Burt_

« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2017, 04:04 AM »

I'm still slowly working on this. Helmet is closer to paint and electronics. Need to strap up kneepads, finish up gauntlets, and a few other things. Celebration is right around the corner :)

Burt_

« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:02 AM »
My helmet is almost done. Finished the paint and the lights.

Detail of the weathering.

I wanted LEDs in my helmet, so I installed some El Wire along the perim of my visor.

Super glued small patches at a time and taped it down tightly.

I also wanted LEDs in the triangles, more 'lazers'!

Here it all is in action: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ0HPJaDIDl/

Working on my knees as well. Didn't like the ones I made originally so I printed a pair.

Getting there :)

Barn

« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:39 PM »
Looking good!

Burt_

« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:40 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ2upuLDmeX/

Here's a quick test fit of the pieces I have. Still have a lot to do. The chest is tight and chokes me, it  rides up my neck so I need to figure out how to fix that.

I think I'm going to use something different for the undersuit. I feel so stiff in the onesy. maybe I need to wash it a few times and wear it up a bit? Getting some progress on this though and I love how it looks :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!