Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: Thel's Custom Bucket Scratchbuild  (Read 737 times)

Den Barren

• Meg cuyir ogir at akaanir a te akaan Tio'r.
    • Awards
Re: Thel's Custom Bucket Scratchbuild
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:51 PM »
Ooh! I'll see if I can find some of that glue for putting together my gauntlets! I'm still not sure what kind of greeblies to throw on them (though one of the plastic bits that came on my amp is looking like a likely candidate...) and something that chemically reacts with the plastic would be a great help. :)

As for the rivet gun - glad to see I'm not the only one! I'll check it out and see if I can do anything to make it work again... Thanks for the help and encouragement!
Np vod! I'm stil trying to decide on greeblies for my gaunts. lol That glue will last you for your whole kit easily. I've used it on my kit, weapons, and various other things and there is still right under half the bottle left. Needless to say, a little goes a long way with it. :)

Den, judging by the label of "Hobby Glue" and the warnings of "Bonds skin instantly," would I be correct in assuming that is a cyanoacrylate glue?

I use the loctite brand on my 1/100th scale WWII modelling projects, and it will absolutely glue two plastics together (or just about anything else.)

If I'm right about it being the same type of glue as my Loctite, I know you can buy that small size of bottle, or larger sized bottles at The Home Depot for a pretty reasonable price. Cheaper than hobby shops, in my experience. Probably not the best for gluing to the helmet, as you've said, but definitely will hold two pieces of the expanded pvc together.

You are correct vod. And I can vouch for it bonding skin instantly. lol Onces you pry your fingers apart, I literally have to use sand paper to sand the glue off of my fingers...not fun. haha  I am unsure as to the brand you are referring, but if it's cyanoacrylate type glue and not a cheap reproduction, (which coming from Home Depot I very much doubt that it would be), it should work just as good. :)
"Tion ke'gyce ner kad al'ijaat?"What guides my sword if not honor?~Ancient Mandalorian saying.

Den's Story
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110271.0

Sales Thread http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=116029.0

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:13 PM »
Okay, big update time!

This morning my dad came to the rescue and lent me his best hacksaw, which made short work of the spiky rivet stems that were all over my bucket. With those gone, I realized that I (unfortunately) had to cut the visor out, yet again. I'm planning on putting EL wire along the edges (a la RC buckets), and in order to get the right kinda internal-shelf-thing going on, I had to trace the visor off the overlay piece and add a quarter inch all the way around, then glue them together. However, I didn't want to deal with the noise and the mess and the smell of the dremel wheel (and I don't quite trust myself with it, yet) I decided to try cutting out the visor with an x-acto knife by hand.

Problem is, I only have one knife with me. The full set with all the nice blades are three hours away in my closed-down dorm room. So I spent most of the day cutting out my visor - again - with a very small scalpel of a blade that's given my middle finger a horrible blister where my pens/pencils rub. I would have liked to draw tonight, but it's not happening...

I did discover, however, that my beloved blue scissors can cut through the bucket plastic. I've had them for ages, and they're my cardboard/leather/non-fabric scissors, and I think they were meant for kitchen use because they're very short-bladed and have a serration on one blade that catches just about everything and just shreds through it. Once I got the angles figured out, I used those instead of the little knife for some of the bigger parts. I did leave two support pieces to keep it in shape, but I may honestly remove them once I get the cheeks in.

In order for the glue to stick well, I roughed up the parts where the overlay is going with some 80-grit. I also spent way too long cutting the back vent hole (not pictured) and squaring and sanding the vent cover. I'll make whatever the internal structure will be and then just glue it on the inside later.

It's not perfectly perfect, but the only person holding a ruler to my kit will be me. :P Five-Foot Rule, everyone. I'll go back with some Apoxie Sculpt and a metal straight-edge when I've got the thing on!

Next; the cheeks. Those were evil. I'd basically traced around some templates that were the exact right size, but when I cut the bits out, I'd left a marker's-width worth of space around the outside in case I messed up. So, with my tiny painful scalpel of a craft knife, I shaved down each of the 6 triangles to the exact size they needed to be to fit together.

Here they are, the awful poky things.

Every time I reached the end of a cut on one of these, my knuckle (you know, the one with the huge blister from the knife?) hit my cutting mat. By the third piece, my finger was raw, so I put down a folded handkerchief and tried not to get plastic in it. I realized when I was scrubbing out the plastic dust later that I'd scraped my pinky finger raw, too. Oh, well. Bleed for your kit, huh? :P

Thankfully, I didn't let the house-wide bandaid shortage nor the frigid garage temperatures stop me; my dad not only gave me some of his secret bandaid stash (no idea why he keeps one? What a weird secret stash...) and let me glue in the bathroom instead of the garage. Our bathroom is warm, but also has a vent fan and a window you can open wide. So that made things easier.

When I put on the overlay, I had to cut it in half, since I hadn't accounted for the width of the plastic when I drafted the pattern. I'll fill the front gap in later, but for now, my bucket is covered in clothespins and tape as it dries.

As for the cheeks - the angled pieces are cut, and I'll cut the template for the backing piece (big ol' flat one) after I have the others in place. Thanks to Den Barren for that technique! It'll make my life way easier. I was also going to weld the plastic together with a soldering iron, too, but now that I'm looking closely at the pieces, I'm thinking I just want to glue them and fill/back them with Apoxie Sculpt. I'm almost out of E-6000 due to glueing the overlay, but I do have some Goop (the "craft" formula, if that makes a difference...) that I originally bough to put my spats together with. It may work to tack them with that so they hold, then back the pieces with the epoxy, then fill the gaps? I'm not sure if it will hold, but I'll rough up the backs and fronts of the pieces so the stuff sticks. The last thing I want is for my cheeks to fall apart, but I don't know as I'm confident enough to weld them. Not sure, yet. I'll see if my ever-patient handy-man father has an extra soldering iron tip that he's willing to spare, just in case...

Den Barren

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:33 AM »
Looks like you've got some good progress vod! I am enjoying following this build very much! I'm kind of intrigued by the kitchen scissors. lol :laugh:   I may have to try that out on my next build! :) Keep up the good work!
"Tion ke'gyce ner kad al'ijaat?"What guides my sword if not honor?~Ancient Mandalorian saying.

Den's Story

Raestin Ke'Varek

• "Living and dying, we feed the fire"
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:58 AM »
This is looking great so far!!  I love watching scratch builds come to life.  8)

"Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an"
Forged like the saber in the fires of death, Brothers all.

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:17 AM »
This is looking great so far!!  I love watching scratch builds come to life.  8)

Thank you! I'm kind of amazed at it, myself. I'm glad I'm making it from scratch, though!

Looks like you've got some good progress vod! I am enjoying following this build very much! I'm kind of intrigued by the kitchen scissors. lol :laugh:   I may have to try that out on my next build! :) Keep up the good work!

Haha Yeah - not sure where the kitchen scissors even came from... I kinda adopted them from (naturally) my family's kitchen, and my folks keep so many pairs around they've just kinda... bequeathed them to me? They do take some man-handling to split the plastic, and they only like to work in one direction. I can't quite explain it other than; they're like metal shears that "curl" in one direction, meaning that if you're cutting with the piece you're removing on one side, you're fine, but as soon as you put the to-be-removed piece on the other side... they don't really work. Honestly I was possessed by some ancient Mandalorian armoring-rage and needed the visor cut RIGHT NOW WITH MY OWN BARE HANDS AND NO PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT. (Safety glasses are default at this point and don't count :P ) Also thanks for following!

I made even more of a mess progress today and started playing with my Apoxie Sculpt! It's very sticky while mixing, and it turned my rubber gloves black. I am, however, delighted by how it feels - it's exactly like working with a stoneware clay, since water makes it squishier and less sticky. I thankfully brought my sculpting tools home with me (thanks, Past Me!) and was able to fiddle around with it some while I wait for my other pieces to dry.

"What other pieces?" you may be asking. "I thought you had the visor overlay glued down already?" Well, so did I. I awoke this morning, removed my clothespins, and inspected my work only to find that one of the mandibles had been glued on completely off-kilter. So I had to rip it off, scrape the rest of the mostly-cured glue from the two surfaces, and glue again. While I was at it, I also affixed my vent cover, so at least there's that. No pictures of that, yet, since it's basically only like a quarter-inch difference angle-wise. Honestly I'd be the only person to know, but it would also make my cheeks infinitely harder to put on, so there's that.

Onward to the Apoxie! There was a weird part at the bottom of one of my earcap bases that needed filling, so I started there and closed a 1/4" weird spot where the overlay was shorter than the two base pieces...

I forgot to take a "before" shot, so here's the other edge of the same part for comparison, sans filler.

I am delighted at both the color and consistency of the stuff. This is before sanding any of the Apoxie Sculpt - it sticks great (I hit the whole helmet with 100-grit beforehand...) and blends reaaal nice with a wet finger. Just make sure you don't have any cuts you don't know about - I'd sliced the top layers of skin on one finger with my pointy cheek piece and found out that it was a cut only after I found black particles lodged in it...

Here's the back (again, shoulda done a before pic!) where there was a half-inch gap between the two overlay pieces. It will need sanding, but it's very smooth and blends great.

As for filling spaces between the overlay and the main body, it works wonders and holds angles well! Doesn't look like much here, but there was a noticeable gap between the two sheets that is now completely gone, and I probably won't even need to sand it.

I do have a before-and-after shot (by which I mean, halfway done shot) of the back ridge. On the left is the filled part, and on the right is the janky two-layer mess, along with all the hard evidence that proves my two pieces weren't cut completely straight... I'm fixing things as I fill, though!

This may need a touch of sanding, but is otherwise looking great! I''ve been using the edge of a thick wooden ruler to help keep the thing straight, and smoothing as I go. Tomorrow, the two other pieces will be dry, so I can basically just play with my black goop all afternoon. I did sand nearly all the paint off the dome, and it should take the stuff pretty well! Gonna fill those holes soon!

Den Barren

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:28 AM »
lol I now dub you sir/miss scissors! :laugh: I definitely like how that apoxie is working out! I'll be getting some of that for my next build for sure! Do you plan on using it to fill the large holes in your helmet?

Den's Story

« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:13 AM »
lol I now dub you sir/miss scissors! :laugh: I definitely like how that apoxie is working out! I'll be getting some of that for my next build for sure! Do you plan on using it to fill the large holes in your helmet?

Why thank you! :D I am honored to be Scissor Knight of The Kingdom of My Parent's Kitchen (or, possibly, Bathroom Where the Glueing Happens...)

I am gonna use the stuff to fill the big holes, for sure! Since it's essentially clay, I can create a kinda "plug" on the backside of the holes, then add some to the top and smooth it out. That way, the fill piece is secured on both sides and can't pop out in either direction. I have the areas around the holes roughed with 80 grit and will go back later and make them super smooth!

I'm just really, really hoping that the smaller bits will hold up to flexing... They should, but you never know! The stuff is only halfway cured currently... I'm hoping to be able to use it to back all my cheek seams for stability (seems to stick well to the rough parts) and if it cracks, I'm in trouble!

Den Barren

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:35 AM »
Why thank you! :D I am honored to be Scissor Knight of The Kingdom of My Parent's Kitchen (or, possibly, Bathroom Where the Glueing Happens...)

I am gonna use the stuff to fill the big holes, for sure! Since it's essentially clay, I can create a kinda "plug" on the backside of the holes, then add some to the top and smooth it out. That way, the fill piece is secured on both sides and can't pop out in either direction. I have the areas around the holes roughed with 80 grit and will go back later and make them super smooth!

I'm just really, really hoping that the smaller bits will hold up to flexing... They should, but you never know! The stuff is only halfway cured currently... I'm hoping to be able to use it to back all my cheek seams for stability (seems to stick well to the rough parts) and if it cracks, I'm in trouble!

Your welcome! :laugh:   It should work well for the plugs it would seem. :)  As I don't know that much about it, I don't know how well it would hold up to supporting the cheeks. I have noticed the cheeks seem to get the most pressure out of the whole helmet.  If you find that it doesn't work, you could reinforce them using fiberglass resin and cheesecloth. Using the cheese cloth removes the hazard of inhalation of the fiberglass strands or getting them stuck in your skin. Mainly you would want to wear a respirator when first applying it if you're going to do it in the garage. That would be the next best thing next to using the soldering iron. But, hopefully it want come to all that and the putty will work just fine!! ;D

Den's Story

« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:13 PM »
Your welcome! :laugh:   It should work well for the plugs it would seem. :)  As I don't know that much about it, I don't know how well it would hold up to supporting the cheeks. I have noticed the cheeks seem to get the most pressure out of the whole helmet.  If you find that it doesn't work, you could reinforce them using fiberglass resin and cheesecloth. Using the cheese cloth removes the hazard of inhalation of the fiberglass strands or getting them stuck in your skin. Mainly you would want to wear a respirator when first applying it if you're going to do it in the garage. That would be the next best thing next to using the soldering iron. But, hopefully it want come to all that and the putty will work just fine!! ;D

Yeah, hopefully the cheeks hold! Welding them would be ideal, but I've got a bad track record when it comes to melting things, and I don't think my parents would be too happy. If the glue and filler doesn't work, I'll just... pull the pieces out and try something else, I guess.

Today I sanded and set in the whole cheek assembly, starting with the "curve". The glue I used was called Goop, and boy does this stuff stick. I was absolutely blown away by it - usually I hear that E-6000 is the way to go, but this stuff was stiffer and thicker. The label actually calls it "contact cement and filler", which would explain why it works so well. I did the cheek curves at maybe 1:00, and then by 8:00 they're... set up? My personal theory is that this stuff is made from the hoof-clippings of unicorns.

As predicted, the curve of the bucket where I cut out the pieces gave me some grief. They don't quite line up like they should - this is probably because the curve of the cardboard I used when I made the patterns is slightly different than the more rigid bucket material I'm using, now. I'm kinda sad it looks sloppy now, but after the amazing results with the Apoxie Sculpt, I'll probably have no trouble making the edges look all super nice! Here's what the inside looks like...

The cheeks are kinda deep by design - gives the buy'ce some more drastic proportions. In some of my earlier cardboard attempts, the cheeks were pretty shallow, which is okay but... not what I'm going for. If I later decide they're just too deep, I can always fill them out with some epoxy putty and sand 'em smooth again.

After I removed the tape from the curves, I got to work fitting the flat parts. I used Den Barren's method of pattern-making (thanks again, vod! :D ) and found that - as predicted - the new patterns were slightly different than my old cardboard ones. I would have done them in sintra, but I didn't have any pieces large enough, so I traced the patterns onto one of the swiss-cheesed 5-galon buckets I have and used my Trusty Blue Scissors of Truth to snip them out. I did hit a setback when I discovered that the pieces were NOT going to have any of my shaping nonsense; I bent the curve out of them, and they looked fine, but after a minute or so went right back to bucket-shape. I had anticipated this, however, and made sure their angles and orientations were mirrored. I thought "yeah, they'll just... be curved out a bit. No problem!"

There was, of course, a problem. After roughing up one side of one piece, I randomly had the idea to flip them and see what the helmet would look like with them indented instead of curved out. The difference was drastic, and the result is the kind of weird seat-of-your-pants art-making I've come to know and love. Having decided on the somewhat more predatory-bird-looking indented cheeks, I realized that one of my pieces was absolutely chewed up, and did my best to sand it smooth again. I'll probably do some more tweaking later when it's all dry, but I think I did okay...?

Anyway - I got the flat pieces all taped up and then glued the heck out of them again.

On the bottom, you can really see the shape of the flat parts. The line of tape is to keep the sides from splaying out while I glue - I'm hoping that the thing will keep its shape when I remove that bit and let the cheeks take the full tension of the plastic...

There's also this ugly gap I had to fill on the outside due to the cheek curve... It's symmetrically wonky, at least, and some sandpaper should fix it right up!

More updates... as I have them.

UPDATE:

So my glue is finally dry and - as predicted - super solid. I finally bucked up the courage to remove the tension-keeping tape and...

It fits! :D Smells funny still, but after some filling and some earcaps/vents, I'm done! Also - the little banner Shevla made me is the perfect backdrop, actually...
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2017, 06:01 PM by Thel Ihveen »

Torolf Goran

• Formerly "Torolf"
  • Ijaat, Verbur, Allit
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2017, 06:08 PM »
That's coming out great and I love the angular cheeks. This is making me want to finally start my scratch build.
Kyr'am nukyr - Death is a gateway.

MMCC #1545
M.L.C.S. - #011, MVS - #045, LOB - #015, MABEL #064

Backstory
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=122294.0

Battle Droid WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=121664.0
Armor WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=116964.0
Force Hunter / Privateer Upgrades
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=120282.0

Den Barren

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Looking great vod!

Den's Story

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Looking good Vod.
K.O.M.S. # 037
E.R.A. #033
Dog lobster supporter #38
BoBB#002
MABEL #062

MMCC #1120
Kilted Mando Brigade Member #24
Legacy W.I.P.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80766.0
Pre Vizsla Phase II Helmet W.I.P.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79261.0

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:25 PM »
 :o :o :o WOoooooooooah. That's mean looking. I want one.
OM #1409 4/6/16
App Team ATO, PR Team

Troop Count: 11

« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:59 PM »
That's coming out great and I love the angular cheeks. This is making me want to finally start my scratch build.

Thanks! :D I say - do the thing! I started this one after reading someone else's work log, and it really showed me how easy it was. As long as you stay patient with it, you'll end up with a great custom helmet in no time!

Looking good Vod.
Looking great vod!

Thank you, guys! Glad you like it. :)

:o :o :o WOoooooooooah. That's mean looking. I want one.

Aw yeah - that's exactly what I was going for! Thank you!

I don't have a decent casting setup (though it would be super cool to cast this thing) but if you want, I can possibly do some math and make a printable PDF of templates. The current design differs from my initial paper mock-up, but it's doable!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!