Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP: Duchess Satine-Inspired FemMando

• 25 Replies

maddiekayray

• #BLESS'ULIIK
WIP: Duchess Satine-Inspired FemMando
« on: Dec 21, 2016, 01:17 AM »
So, I was rewatching the Mandalor TCW arcs in Season 5 with aliit vode, and deeply considering what I'd want my custom Mando build to look like. I had already decided that I definitely wanted to build a Sabine, but my expressive lil heart was telling me I needed custom Mando idea too. When I saw Duchess Satine Kryze in her raiment onscreen again, I knew I wanted to honor and emulate that rich elegance, and thus my Satine inspo was born! I have quite a good idea of the concept, but I'm frankly awful at visual aids, so I'll just keep a list of my ideas here and update as I reconsider and begin to build. If someone is good at drawing concepts and wants to give it a whirl, I'd love you forever. As it is relevant to literally all of the following, this is the outfit I'm referring to:

Some basics:
  • Satine's formal has three main colors in rich jewel tones: dark blue, teal, and purple. She is pale, has striking coral makeup, and loves opal accents.
  • (I, too, love opal accents.)
  • I want my upper body armor plates to be that dark blue, so my flak vest will be teal.
  • I want my lower body armor plates to be teal, so my flight suit will be dark blue.
  • Opal anywhere I can get it. Centerpiece of the helmet, to mimic her headdress. Kar'ta Beskar will hopefully be an appropriately shaped opal. Working it into the girdle, which will be brown leather probably.
  • Horn/teeth earrings become decoration mounted in front of ear caps; lilies worn in hair will be reduced in number and added to the helmet behind ear caps on either side. Possibly worked into clan crest too, not sure.
  • Purple gauntlets. Purple sash. Kama and loincloth to mimic dress (outside dark blue, inside teal) and brown leather thigh holster(s).
  • Night Owl helmet build, probably. I'm interested in switching it up though, so if anyone has better ideas, I'm all ears! For colors, I was thinking a pale gold, maybe even a rose gold.
  • Need more ideas for visor/rangefinder/etc incorporation and customization. Suggestions on weapons would be marvelous too.

This is just a brief list of my cobbled-together midnight thoughts, I'm sure I'm missing things. I'm eager to get started. This is my first build, so suggestions and help are not only welcome, but quite encouraged!

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2016, 01:26 AM by maddiekayray » Logged

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: WIP: Duchess Satine-Inspired FemMando
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2016, 09:22 AM »
There are rumors of some concept art floating around of Satine in armor, though I have never been able to find it myself.

I like the concept. I have been slowly helping another person build a Satine inspired set of armor. There is a fair bit you can do to pull in the shape of her gown into a kit. You can do things like peaked gauntlets to mirror the shape of her gloves, as well as using to part shoulder armor to recreate the shape that comes off the shoulder of her gowns.

I think the Nightowl style bucket would work best as well, mainly because she has a lot of curves in her design already and I feel like that style bucket would go nicely with a more "flowing" set of armor. One way you could invoke the Lilies in the hair would be to go with a white cape with some design work or sigil.

There is a fair bit of room to work within the CRLs, and I think if you are up for it you could create a very cool kit that really speaks to the look of Satine, yet is still approvable.

AndySanchez

• There's always a bigger fish, it's me.
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2016, 01:14 PM »
The cape could be cut and shapped go immitate her head dress, with white fabric being almost feather ir flower like decorating the top of it and the shoulders.
That shape at the top of her head could be painted on the helmet, on top of the visor having the purple shape with the teal accents to the side.
Theres a lot of potential in this idea, and I think you'd find great success in taking parts of her dress and moving them around on the kit!

maddiekayray

• #BLESS'ULIIK
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2016, 01:45 PM »
Thanks Naran for the quick response and support! I'd LOVE to see pics of your Satine project as well, I did some research but I couldn't find anything myself, so I thought I'd create my own concept! Peaked gauntlets would be wonderful, but I can't visualize what you're talking about with the two-part shoulders. I picked Nite Owl because I wanted to pay homage to her sister, Bo-Katan, and because the whole thing would be very feminine but scary, the Nite Owl represents exactly that. :)  As for capes, I don't think I want one! Ooh, maybe some fabric attached to the backs of my bells to fall a little over the back plate and make it look more regal. I want a kama for sure, so I think a cape & kama would be overkill.

I'm definitely up to it. ;) Time will tell, so I can prove it, too.

Andy, I was actually considering a sort of hood! Like the scarves I see on some mandos, but draping in the back away from the helmet and front more like a hood, and attaching to the top/back of my helmet with a snap. In that blue, and framing the lilies I want to add to the helmet, it would definitely be a striking silhouette. I'm glad everyone is really optimistic and I'm glad I have a lot of options! Nothing but positivity from this group! Makes me feel so good.

Today's progress: I'm shopping for flight suits and researching female chest armor. I want a cupped style, and I want to play around with plate shapes, so I'll definitely be using the body-mold-to-fiberglass method, which will allow me zero commitment until glassing time so I can max out on research ideas.  I want a medium-to-heavy build, mostly because I <3 plates, and want to look as unkarkwithable as possible.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2016, 03:44 PM »
Reading over everything I have some advice/suggestions.
- I would incorporate the horn earrings into the earcaps (not mount in front) having the bottom of them continue into the horn shape. This would make it a little more elegant than pasting a horn onto the helmet.
- Helmet color purple like the main color of her headdress with an accent of gold for around the visor??? Light blue for the RF and stalk from the headdress as well.
- For a weapon I'd do Westar 35s (basic DW style) and find out if someone can model and 3D print her tiny droid de-activator.
- The double shoulder would be having a plate going horizontally out from the collar and another plate that is on your upper arm.
- Instead of a cape do a scarf similar to Kylo Ren's except following Satine's colors and patterning. Could even pattern lily shapes to come off the leading edge.

Reference for Satine. You probably already have this though.

And an armor concept sketch. I want to say this was done by Senaar Ordo (Jai'galaar Clan iirc) but I might be mistaken.

felipe5083

• Oya!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Certainly looks promising

"You don't have my respect aruetii, keep in mind that you only have my tolerance. For a mandalorian, respect is earned, and not given, and I strongly suggest you to stay on my good side"
Dan Ari'Ednab

Edwacoo

• Maaaan if you seen this.....
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Commenting to Follow.

Edwacoo Akic
Clan Nexu
MMCC# 1461
Mid West Garrison RC/TK# 14615
Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
I'm Just a Simple Man Trying To Make My Way In the Universe

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2016, 06:10 PM »
You have piqued my interest... Commenting to follow.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Fashwiing

• Sal'yc "Beefy McKnifeface" Sarad
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2016, 06:31 PM »
I love this idea! I was thinking of doing something similar, but with a different Satine outfit. Possibly the black, green, and silver one from her Deathwatch capture, or the one with the pink coat. Either way this looks like it could be a really promising build and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Today is a good day for someone else to die.

Build thread

MMCC #1725, Mandalolita #20, MVS #47, MARS #50

Shar Dagger

• Don't be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:11 PM »
I love love love this idea.  My personal input would be to make a duster thats dark blue and mimics the shape of her dress! I will watch this with interest. Do not hesitate to ask for advice with everything.  Lots of creative people in the forums!

OM: 1688 - Privateer and Heavy Melee Brigade Member: 283
Check out my Instagram: @shar_dagger
The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP

girrox211

• Helmet on. Heart Gone.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2016, 05:45 AM »
Oh my goodness! I'm gonna love to see how this turns out!

maddiekayray

• #BLESS'ULIIK
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2016, 01:53 PM »
- I would incorporate the horn earrings into the earcaps (not mount in front) having the bottom of them continue into the horn shape. This would make it a little more elegant than pasting a horn onto the helmet.

Like, make them the ear caps? That would be rad, especially if I could detach them with magnets or snaps. Thanks, definitely doing this!

- For a weapon I'd do Westar 35s (basic DW style) and find out if someone can model and 3D print her tiny droid de-activator.
- The double shoulder would be having a plate going horizontally out from the collar and another plate that is on your upper arm.
- Instead of a cape do a scarf similar to Kylo Ren's except following Satine's colors and patterning. Could even pattern lily shapes to come off the leading edge.

Ah, yes! Perfect suggestions here too. Instead of the cape I think I'll do a back drape of sorts, shown below. Thanks so much for the weapon suggestions, I really want her droid deactivator. And I think I'll pattern lily shapes along the bottom of the kama and loincloth/sash, as she has such embroidery at the bottom of her gown.

Commenting to Follow.

Sneaky, vod. Gonna follow so you can groan at me every time I want you to help me make something difficult?  :laugh: 

I love this idea! I was thinking of doing something similar, but with a different Satine outfit. Possibly the black, green, and silver one from her Deathwatch capture, or the one with the pink coat. Either way this looks like it could be a really promising build and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Ahhhh, PLEASE do! Let's get a Satine group going. This concept is giving me ideas for other ladies of the Star Wars universe... *cough*Padmehassomanyoptions*cough*

I love love love this idea.  My personal input would be to make a duster thats dark blue and mimics the shape of her dress! I will watch this with interest. Do not hesitate to ask for advice with everything.  Lots of creative people in the forums!

Thanks so much Shar! Gonna try to do this thing with the kama. I want my plates to mimic her bodice, so I don't know that I'd want to cover it up with a duster! However, legs are totally free game. In fact, the more swoosh, the better.

For all the lovely lurkers, my project today: Yesterday I sniped some teal vinyl I can use for the flak vest, but I'll have to wait for money in order to buy it. Today I'm swooping down onto poor unsuspecting thrift stores to find an appropriate 2pc in that dusky dark blue I can use for my flight suit!

Drew up some concepts. Sorry if my penmanship is heinous, I'm a leftie. Arm/leg concepts once I lock down the body. What do you guys think of the plate cut? It's a custom pattern, I'm not sure if it's appable because I didn't reference the standards when I drew it. I drew two separate stomach plates because I wanted to preserve and incorporate the girdle into the plate design. Bells of course are probably changing, I really like the two-plate shoulder idea. And the overlapping stomach panels would quite easily hide the seams of my flak vest.

Would love some input here, vode.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2016, 03:04 PM »
Like, make them the ear caps? That would be rad, especially if I could detach them with magnets or snaps. Thanks, definitely doing this!

To elaborate on my thoughts for the horn earrings. I was thinking of them at the bottom of the earcaps like how earrings hang off the bottom lobe. To accomplish the mod you could drill a spot into the bottom of the cap and set a magnet in so it sits flush. The "earring" itself would be sculpey clay with a magnet set in to mate with the earcap. If the magnets are superfluous to you then sculpey the earrings and ensure attachment via superglue.

« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2016, 10:44 PM »
Like the bucket sketch!
Commenting to follow !

Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi.
                                              -Jango Fett
MTS (Mando-Tough) #098

Senaar Ordo

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2016, 09:59 PM »
*SLIDES IN* Yes hello I have been summoned? I'm the original artist of the Satine in armor sketch and I took pictures of the concept art of Satine during a behind-the-scenes Clone Wars Panel where Dave Filoni talked about the Mandalorian story lines he regrettably had to abandon due to the rights change over and cancelling of Clone Wars.

I'm really excited about this build and if you need any design help please let me know!

MMCC #792, M.A. #131, QMU #013, EMTS #127, PMS #001, NOS #011

v3 Post-Imperial WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=211561.0

maddiekayray

• #BLESS'ULIIK
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2016, 01:30 AM »
I'm really excited about this build and if you need any design help please let me know!

😱😱😱

༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽ you're just my hero, no big deal!

Bless you, I have SO MANY questions and would love your input. I'm glad Dave and I had similar ideas, and bless you for these pics.

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2017, 07:26 PM by maddiekayray » Logged

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2016, 03:46 AM »
I love this idea!  I have got to see how this turns out.

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2016, 05:48 AM »
Commenting to follow. Those designs are beautiful and I am interested to know how this progresses

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2016, 04:08 PM »
Can't wait to see where this goes :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:13 AM »
Very nice draft.  Did you happen to see the armor Sabine's mother wears?  It's Mando but distinctly feminine as well.  My provide some additional inspiration.  See her at 1:42 - https://youtu.be/rWTKxDw675w

Sabine Season 3 build for my Merc baby-girl...
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=125869.0

maddiekayray

• #BLESS'ULIIK
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:41 PM »
Hello all! Just popping in to say the holidays are very busy, but I'm currently figuring out how to sew dri-fit fabric without ripping it up. Someone said nylon and a loose stitch; anyone have experience here?

I plan on cranking out a flak vest before or during the next clan armor party in a week, and beginning the plate build! Gonna use the packing tape to body mold to pattern cut out to fiberglass technique for my chest piece, and sintra/pipe the rest of the plates. Hope everyone's holidays have been nice! I'm currently snowed in at my Ver'alor's, shaping and sanding the soon-to-be Sabine Westars I made last night. (I look very ill because I'm presently dying of the cold and latent Christmas tree allergies...)

Definitely gonna make one for my Mando, too. I love these things.

Fashwiing

• Sal'yc "Beefy McKnifeface" Sarad
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2017, 07:26 PM »
If dri-fit is anything like I recall it being, you'll probably want to invest in a walking foot for your machine. I recommend having one on hand regardless of what you're trying to sew, but that's just me being prepared lol :P

Dri-fit tends to pull apart because the feed dogs of the machine pull it under the presser foot but it's just loose enough of a weave that the presser foot prevents it from moving with the feed dogs (thus, it stretches and pulls apart). The walking foot grabs the fabric and feeds it into the machine at a constant rate, so nothing has a chance to pull and fray etc. See if you can find one made specifically by the manufacturer of your machine (Brother, Janome, Singer, Husqvarna etc) and stay away from generics. They're a worthwhile investment.

As for sewing the stuff, you can't go wrong with a small zigzag stitch (stitch width and length of about 2mm, if your machine measures stitch size in mm). The zigzag will allow it to stretch without popping, and I recommend going over the seams twice for reinforcement.

Today is a good day for someone else to die.

Build thread

MMCC #1725, Mandalolita #20, MVS #47, MARS #50

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:13 PM »
I just now realized that you're clan Bessy!! Are you coming to the armor party this month?

maddiekayray

• #BLESS'ULIIK
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:25 PM »
I just now realized that you're clan Bessy!! Are you coming to the armor party this month?

You betcha! I'll be getting my other build ready for painting!

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:30 PM »
You betcha! I'll be getting my other build ready for painting!

Nice! I'll see you at the party!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!