Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Heavy Concept- Ryder Thune (First Kit)

• 8 Replies
Heavy Concept- Ryder Thune (First Kit)
« on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:57 PM »
So coming into this community, I thought I wanted to make a set of Light or Medium armor, possibly with a half cape or kama.

Then I found the Stalker Helm.. and man from there I knew I needed to make a heavier Kit, and my local clan suggested the same.

So here Goes.

*Soft Parts- I plan for Black on Black for the flight suit and vest,

Stalker Helm

**OOPS** I did the details using the stalker Medium.. When I probably need the large- Can anyone give any advice on sizing?

I had quite a few drafts of this helm before going here. There something about the shape that really appeals to me. My only discrepancy is that if you follow the lines of the helm you end up with these sort of horns going up around the center.

I don't think I will be adding a range finder, but instead a pair of comm antennas (on one side) mimicking the look of the range finder. 

Full Armor.
[/URL]

For the full armor, I looked around at what many of you had for heavy kits in order to get to this. There was one thing I learned I wanted: TRAUMA PLATES. There are some kits out there that look just killer with the trauma plates. much of the red on the kit will be in the form of Trauma plates grafted onto the base kit.

Paint... I am afraid I may be adding a little too much of the gold here, but I want the end result to be weathered, and those painted stripes to me weathered pretty heavily. (A painted detail probably wouldn't last very long in any sort on any sort of extended tour.)

Other details.. The Chest plate features a small circular chest vent, possibly for later installation of a speaker wired from my helm.
The extra plate on the belt will serve to hide any clip or fastening. The Gold circle on this plate will later hold an emblem of some sort.

The Gauntlets
While not shown here, I plan on having a small gauntlet data pad  on the left and a grappling hook on the right.

Questions!
-How hard would it be to modify the brow of the helmet to make it closer to a traditional Mando brow? Would it be worth it?  I have no idea what these buckets are made of.

-Could the Knee and shin armor be combined for a more streamlined look?

Please be critical and let me know what you think!

« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2016, 09:08 PM by RyderThune » Logged
"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame."

Ryder Thune- Heavy Armor Concept http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=125550.msg1668941#msg1668941

AndySanchez

• There's always a bigger fish, it's me.
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Heavy Concept- Ryder Thune (First Kit)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2016, 08:45 AM »
I honestly think that it could even hold more gold, or Some more color variation on the helmet specifically. Since you have that gold line on the abplate some gold on the upper chat pieces would bring more attention there!
Awesome concept, looking forward to seeing it built.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2016, 08:42 PM »
I honestly think that it could even hold more gold, or Some more color variation on the helmet specifically. Since you have that gold line on the abplate some gold on the upper chat pieces would bring more attention there!
Awesome concept, looking forward to seeing it built.

That's a good thought too. I want to keep it having a simpler look, but I know I'll end up adding some details to the chest, maybe a logo or small gold text/hashes.

"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame."

Ryder Thune- Heavy Armor Concept http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=125550.msg1668941#msg1668941

Dar'manda

• "I go in first so you dont have to"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2016, 08:26 AM »
So you have a couple of questions and I hope I can answer them all.

First on the sizing of the helmet. It should be roughly 1/2 the distance from shoulder to shoulder. NME the maker of that helmet give very detailed measurements you can use to figure it out. Remember tho this is 1/2 while in armor not out.

Second is about the helmet, while the helmet is made of resin and very easy to modify by gluing or reshaping. I wouldn't the reward here is very minimal and the helmet already meet the guidelines for a modern Era helmet. I had to on my Legacy kit, add a brow and ear caps to make it approvable as modern. But if I could have forgone it I would have.

Lastly, Knee/shin combo are allowed. We call them "Shnees". Alot of members have them, so you should be fine.

Now I do have a suggestion and this is more of personal taste, but I feel it makes a kit better.  When it comes to your vest and Flight suit, I highly suggest staying away from doing Black on Black. While on some kits it looks great it just doesn't show much if any weathering. A black vest with a dark grey suit would still look great and allow you to weather the suit giving you a more lived it look.

The concept look great, and I'm excited to see you build this.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2016, 07:08 PM »
So you have a couple of questions and I hope I can answer them all.

First on the sizing of the helmet. It should be roughly 1/2 the distance from shoulder to shoulder. NME the maker of that helmet give very detailed measurements you can use to figure it out. Remember tho this is 1/2 while in armor not out.

Second is about the helmet, while the helmet is made of resin and very easy to modify by gluing or reshaping. I wouldn't the reward here is very minimal and the helmet already meet the guidelines for a modern Era helmet. I had to on my Legacy kit, add a brow and ear caps to make it approvable as modern. But if I could have forgone it I would have.

Lastly, Knee/shin combo are allowed. We call them "Shnees". Alot of members have them, so you should be fine.

Now I do have a suggestion and this is more of personal taste, but I feel it makes a kit better.  When it comes to your vest and Flight suit, I highly suggest staying away from doing Black on Black. While on some kits it looks great it just doesn't show much if any weathering. A black vest with a dark grey suit would still look great and allow you to weather the suit giving you a more lived it look.

The concept look great, and I'm excited to see you build this.

Thanks for the feedback Vod!

I had a similar concern with the flight suit, I will most likely go charcoal on the suit.

I'm pretty set on Shnees at this point as well. I'm working on an updated design to encorporate them and a few other minor tweets.

again, thanks for the guidance, it means a lot!

Dar'manda

• "I go in first so you dont have to"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2016, 11:02 PM »
No problem brother, excited to see what you do!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.
Re: Heavy Concept- Ryder Thune (First Kit)- MK2
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2016, 12:44 PM »
Good morning Brothers and Sisters,

I spent some time doing an update on my concept, making a few changes that are mostly aesthetic.

I added the comm antennas to the Bucket along with a backpack with a long range comm unit on it.

I converted the knees and shins to one piece of armor, I like the look much better.

I have also changed the left shoulder to be a larger protruding plate, hypothetically to provide some extra coverage while aiming down sight.

although the change isn't shown here, I plan for the flightsuit to be a dark grey in stead of black.

I have also added the killstripes to the chest along with an ID tag in Mando'a.

QUESTION
I would like to include the clan emblem on the shoulder plate, I'm not sure if anyone reps the clan on their armor, but I personally love the idea. Is this something anyone does?

thanks again!

AndySanchez

• There's always a bigger fish, it's me.
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2016, 01:24 PM »
Love the details you added onto the paint, gives it so much character!
You can wear your locals clan logo on your armor after it's been accepted into the club, definetely a thinf people often do.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2016, 03:45 PM »
Love the details you added onto the paint, gives it so much character!
You can wear your locals clan logo on your armor after it's been accepted into the club, definetely a thinf people often do.

Thanks Andy!

it looks a bit bland with out some detail.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!