Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Hereticdaves Hasbro E-11 Mod

• 11 Replies

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Hereticdaves Hasbro E-11 Mod
« on: Jan 07, 2017, 07:26 AM »
So I was rooting around in the loft the other day and found this little gem from 1996:

And I remember seeing something on the tk forums (around the time i was looking at doing a trooper before I found the mercs) about a blaster conversion kit by a shop (or gentleman) called doopy doo, right here in the UK. I ordered the kit last week and it arrived this morning, in all it's uncleaned resiney goodness:

One thing that did surprise me was it comes with an actual metal D-ring! i had assumed it would be cast like the rest of it so bonus already. I also plan on making, or at least having a go at making a working folding stock, as I'm sure the mandalorian in me knows that stormtroopers miss all the time because they're not aiming properly! Hopefully I'll remember to document the build and keep this thread updated :D

Teilyr Farsel

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Hereticdaves Hasbro E-11 Mod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2017, 10:25 AM »
I always like seeing the toys that I grew up playing with being turned into props for kits. Helps, too, that it's an already in-universe weapon.

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:17 PM »
Carrying on with the blaster I followed a couple of the tutorials on the first imperial stormtrooper detachment forums (they know their e-11's!). I hollowed out the sight rail, removed the cooling fin on the lower right of the blaster and replaced it with vent holes. Technically the holes should be 10mm in diameter but I only had a 9.5mm, hopefully the difference is small enough not to notice. I've also sanded off all the text and raised stuff that shouldn't be there.

And then after cleaning up the resin parts, which didn't need much clean up, I have something a bit more recognisable as an e-11:

I've left doopy doo's stock off as I have some 2mm aluminium sheet that I'm going to try and make a working folding stock from. I used some plans from the FISD forum and have made a start:

Next steps are to fill and sand the screw holes in the blaster and various cracks and gaps, get some hex socket bolts for the muzzle and grip and get some cable for the hengstler counter and power cylinders, and modify the front sight to be more accurate.

Ryi'nock

• Formerly 'RSmiffy'
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Nice work vod. Might have to use this one day.

LOB# 20 - - - MLCS# 25 - - - SPARCK# 15 - - Clan Vok'Chi - - House Bes'bavar

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Revive Thread!
So I stalled on making the folding stock on the e-11, put the build down for apparently over a year and then came across it again in the loft, so I bit the bullet, attached the resin solid stock figuring I can at least make the blaster and maybe replace the stock with a working one at a later date. First thing I did was file out the sight on the end of the rifle:

And then made a green stuff mould of the pattern on the grip so that when I bondo over the holes I can use this to blend it in:

Next step, fill the screw holes (except battery compartment) and sand all the joins smooth.

Jag Cabur

• Call me 'Sparky.'
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2018, 11:36 AM »
If you fill in the battery compartment screw holes with hot glue, it will come right out if you use a sewing needle. 

Hand me my thinking grenades.

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2018, 03:30 AM »
thanks for the tip, I'll have a practice go of that tonight.

Filled the other holes and used the green stuff press on the non-battery side of the handle:

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Very nice!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 19

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2018, 04:02 AM »
Cheers, calling it almost done. Sanded the bondo in the screw holes and put some primer and silver over it, letting it dry today and i'll inspect for any bits that need going over. The silver paint seems to reflect the light differently where the screw holes were, will probably need to get some smoother sand paper, or just see what it's like with the black top coat:

Edit:
Blaster has been painted, just needs dirtying up and some decals added for the scope:

And the LED still works too!

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2018, 06:45 AM by hereticdave » Logged

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2018, 10:59 AM »
And done and approved:

Had to go over the weathering on the t-tracks when I was told by a stormtrooper that they're not weathered on screen, probably because they were made of plastic or rubber on the actual used props. I'll be looking to upgrade to a more screen accurate E-11 eventually, but I'm pretty happy with this for now.

Hellwolve

• Darth Kharon
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2018, 03:16 AM »
Thanks for this excelent example! I plan to do the exact same thing ;D

"But they, set free from sickness and eld and toils, having fled from the deeply sounding ferry of Akheron."

NegativeEleven

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2018, 02:59 PM »
FYI, you can usually find a real Sterling folding stock, often with the part of the barrel that it attaches to, at www.apexgunparts.com for $25-$50 plus shipping. I built my e-11 from one of those, a 1.5 inch PVC pipe, screen door t-tracks, a Hasbro DH-17 grip/trigger and some resin parts.

Using the blaster builders' club templates, the holes lined up great to lock the folding stock into the front bottom barrel hole, and when extended, its locking pegs perfectly fit the endcap from the Hasbro Dh-17 to stay extended. It just took a little work with the dremel, and a spring behind the endcap to make it work.

MMCC - #1151 "El Evan" Modern Era
             - MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - BH-11110 RotJ Boba Fett
The Finest (G.I.Joe Costume Club)
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!