Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Paint job question

• 13 Replies
Paint job question
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:40 AM »
Hi, everyone.  I finally got to work on my kit and I am about to start a concept thread, but I wanted to ask about paint-job first.  I saw a really neat technique for dipping similar to hydro-dipping, but you use paint to create an organic pattern instead of using a pre-printed template.  I hope it will work for my mando, cause it looks really cool.  Please let me know.  For extra credit: if I can do this for my kit, and I keep the colors mute, would it work for a custom protector kit, or would I have to re-paint when I am ready to become a protector?  Here is an example of what the application can look like:

You and what army?!?

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Paint job question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:04 AM »
You should be good! Could easily see that as an in universe camo pattern. As for a protector you will bee to change the color to match cannon images

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:21 AM »
The primary color on Protectors is, I believe, green, and you can do accent colors, but you're limited in your color choices there, too.  And I don't know if that really cool paint effect would be approveable for a Protector.  Your best bet, if you can't post in the Brigade section (and I've never been able to as a UM, although some UMs can) is to drop a PM to Dha Bral.  He's the Brigade Marshall for Canon kits, so he'd be the guy to know.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:21 AM »
PM sent.  Thank-you.  I am eager to hear back from him.  I read the CRL carefully and am under the impression that custom protector kits are allowed withing the protector brigade as long as they adhere to several specific criteria.  So cross your fingers for me and we'll see what he has to say.  :)

You and what army?!?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Can do, vod.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Custom protector (based loosely on Boba and that's it) or Brigade Protector (as set out by brigade BRL)?

If the latter (brigade) then this pattern wouldn't fly as there isn't any canon reference in comics/film/LFL released material for Protectors.

Sorry  :(

If your looking for official Brigades clarification then PM Dha Bral who is the marshal for that section

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Custom protector (based loosely on Boba and that's it) or Brigade Protector (as set out by brigade BRL)?

If the latter (brigade) then this pattern wouldn't fly as there isn't any canon reference in comics/film/LFL released material for Protectors.

Sorry  :(

If your looking for official Brigades clarification then PM Dha Bral who is the marshal for that section

I am not arguing with you, but this is the armor clip from the "protector brigade" requirement:

"Colors
The primary color of the armor has to be medium green, similar to Boba's.
A main secondary color must be present. Secondary colors may only be red, yellow, or orange.
A tertiary color may also be chosen and may be white, light blue, purple, grey. Tertiary colors must be used sparingly.
Armor
Helmet:
Standard Fett-style helmet required, with RF and standard ear-caps.
The visor frame/mandibles must be the secondary color
cheeks may either match the primary color or be white.
back may be primary or secondary color
Standard Armor:
Must be of light  or medium configuration
Must be traditional Boba or Jango template
Knees must be of traditional Boba/Jango design, although the knee darts do not have to be identical to Boba' or Jango's.
Gauntlets: Gauntlets must be of Fett-style or streamlined weapons-platform design based on those depicted in the comic books and artwork. May be painted the primary, secondary, or tertiary colors and may be mismatched (each a different color).
Cod piece and back plate are required, cannot be substituted by loin cloth or full cape.

Armor Variant:
Chest plate may be a modified design to closely resemble the plate style used in the Marvel comics.
Ab plate may be replaced with quilted soft ab sewn into flak vest, as depicted in the Marvel comics.  Should be colored similarly to primary plates paint. Should be constructed of the same material as flak vest."
There is no specific dialog to address paint pattern or a rigid adherence to an exact canon reference. The armor, yes, but not the paint scheme, for the most part. I see terms like: similar, and "based on", which is why I am hoping there is enough leeway to allow for a subtle variant in the paint pattern.  I don't want to change the colors, I just want to add some depth.  I have already Pm'ed him and I am eagerly awaiting a response.  I am grateful for your input.  I believe you may be right.  I just hope there is enough wiggle room to do it the way I would like.  But, hey, if  I can't do it for Protector it just means I adjust fire and push forward.  :)  Thank-you, again.
This is what I would mean to do.  A very subtle difference in colors to create a marbel pattern.  Nothing flashy.  It just adds a little depth:

You and what army?!?

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:43 AM »
If you've asked Dha then I'm sure he'll get back to you pretty quick he's pretty on the ball with PM, I'd be interested to hear myself if I'm wrong, I'm only human after all  ;)

« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:01 PM »
If you've asked Dha then I'm sure he'll get back to you pretty quick he's pretty on the ball with PM, I'd be interested to hear myself if I'm wrong, I'm only human after all  ;)
I haven't heard back yet but it's the middle of the week, so no rush.  I don't think you are wrong.  I hope it didn't sound that way.  I am simply hoping that there is enough room in the guidlines for the paint style I want.  I wouldn't dream of arguing with a member here.  I am still new and don't feel like I have earned the right to do so.  You have my respect, Vod.  I can't wait to join you all on the proverbial battle-field. :)

You and what army?!?

Moffmade

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:30 PM »
My two credits are that the more marbled pattern just looks like wear and tear weathering. If it was a jumble of green colors I could see an issue but it seems like a weathering choice to me.

[He/Him]
Goran Cerar - Murraan Clan OM# 1796
S.P.A.R.C.K #18
M.A.J.I.C #167
B.E.A.R.D.S. #153
Founding Member of Kar'ta Beskar, Former Member of Arqet

Canon WIP Thread:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=230979

OG WIP Thread:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=125819
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:26 PM »
My two credits are that the more marbled pattern just looks like wear and tear weathering. If it was a jumble of green colors I could see an issue but it seems like a weathering choice to me.

That's a really cool idea.  just marble the paint enough to look like it was painted and it wore down then it was painted over and wore down again, over and over...  The EU does reference the fact that armors were handed down from generation to generation.  Awesome idea.  Thank-you!  :D

You and what army?!?

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016 EnviroOps
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2017, 03:49 AM »
I haven't heard back yet but it's the middle of the week, so no rush.  I don't think you are wrong.  I hope it didn't sound that way.  I am simply hoping that there is enough room in the guidlines for the paint style I want.  I wouldn't dream of arguing with a member here.  I am still new and don't feel like I have earned the right to do so.  You have my respect, Vod.  I can't wait to join you all on the proverbial battle-field. :)

My ears were ringing...
In response to your PM and this thread, the camouflage or marbled pattern will no work for the BRLs of a protector. The pattern alone would violate BRLs, but you are also required to have layered chipping in a similar fashion to Boba's armor and helmet. Heavy staining and weathering on the armor is acceptable, but any type of pattern or camouflage simply would not work.

It's spelled "Canon", not "Cannon".

(SHHH!!! I found the secret to getting OM approved!)

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:18 AM »

Here's the chipping (at least for the chest plates) on my Protector.  I can see where you were going with your idea.  From a distance, it has a marble effect, but once you get up closer you can see the chipping.  This would be more along the lines of what Dha and company might be looking for with your standard Protector build.

~Pseudo-Boba

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:01 PM »
OK.  well it was worth a shot.  Thanks, guys for your input.  I will adjust fire and move forward.  Since Boba is a real Billy bad-@$$ it won't be a bad thing at all to look like him, huh?  :D  Happy hunting, vods.

You and what army?!?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!