Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

(Kai Aurkesh) E-11 blaster prop

• 10 Replies

Kixx

• Though the stars are lost to me...
(Kai Aurkesh) E-11 blaster prop
« on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:54 AM »
Alright, so I was at the thrift store a while back, and I found a toy blaster in the used toys isle (I was looking for costume ideas/parts/materials). Not sure what model it is. It looks like an E-11, except without the attachment under the barrel.

This was the blaster when I bought it.

And this, is after I worked on it

I started by sanding it down, getting rid of the logos and legal stuff.

Next, I put a coat of black primer, which would later be reapplied as the base color.

After that, I sprayed it a metallic silver, then proceeded to tape off areas I wanted to stay silver.

After applying the second coat of black, I took it to the table, and added several hand-paints to weather it.

As a finishing touch, I added the little bantha skull, and glossed it over with a finish coat of clear spray paint.

Thoughts on the design? this is my first weapon prop repaint.

Zando

• Hello!
Re: (Kai Aurkesh) E-11 blaster prop
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:34 PM »
I'm brand new here vod, so I don't know how much help I can be, but it looks to me like you've done an awesome job. All I can see from my very limited experience is that the silver on the handle looks a little too bright. The weathering will be a bit more convincing if you grimy up the handle so it looks like it's been in a pair of dusty, occasionally (or not, depending on how much maintainence your Mando's ship requires) oily gloves for years.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2017, 09:25 AM »
Not bad at all, They also sell resin kits that you can add on to those and turns them into quite accurate E-11s.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Yup, that's an E-11.  Droopy Doo's sells a kit to make those look pretty close to the movie ones.

I like the paint-up and weathering.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kixx

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:05 PM »
Thanks guys. To reply to your comment, Zando, the handle does have quite a lot of "dirt" and "oil" (brown acrylic mixed with a touch of gold), though the light is reflecting quite affectively off it, so it looks a lot shinier than it is. I will probably do a touch up job, though, and I'll take that into consideration. As for the screen-alike blaster, I quite like it without the underside greeble. Plus, I'm on a budget, and I'm not too keen on spending more money than I have to  ;D.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:39 PM »
Thanks guys. To reply to your comment, Zando, the handle does have quite a lot of "dirt" and "oil" (brown acrylic mixed with a touch of gold), though the light is reflecting quite affectively off it, so it looks a lot shinier than it is. I will probably do a touch up job, though, and I'll take that into consideration. As for the screen-alike blaster, I quite like it without the underside greeble. Plus, I'm on a budget, and I'm not too keen on spending more money than I have to  ;D.

Sounds good vod. It looks great already, and I don't think you need it to look like a perfect E-11. Don't Mandos tweak everything to their tastes anyways?  :P

Kixx

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:34 PM »
Sounds good vod. It looks great already, and I don't think you need it to look like a perfect E-11. Don't Mandos tweak everything to their tastes anyways?  :P

Indeed they do. Hence the bantha skull. Who wants a boring old stock blaster, anyway?

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Who wants a boring old stock blaster, anyway?

Boring guys who have their names changed to numbers, wear the same white uniform every day, aren't allowed to take of their helmets, and couldn't hit a star destroyer if it landed on them?

Kixx

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Boring guys who have their names changed to numbers, wear the same white uniform every day, aren't allowed to take of their helmets, and couldn't hit a star destroyer if it landed on them?

Sounds like the description of good target practice

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:37 PM »
Not to mention... their helmets make a satisfying crack when used as drums or smacked together. It's also fun to stand in the open and laugh at them as they try to shoot you.  :-\

...not to get too far off topic, though, do you have any other weapons/mods planned?

Kixx

« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Not to mention... their helmets make a satisfying crack when used as drums or smacked together. It's also fun to stand in the open and laugh at them as they try to shoot you.  :-\

...not to get too far off topic, though, do you have any other weapons/mods planned?

For this build, (which, isn't going through the app team, since I'm too young) I have a simple toy saber that I'm working on to look more authentic. This build/character is a dark jedi who survived order 66 and posed as a mandalorian afterwards. I might post pictures of the saber when I'm convinced I'm done, but I'm afraid I'll have to explain that I'm not worried about the app team. I sense many comments saying that functional sabers are not allowed  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!