Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Zabrak stuff

• 7 Replies

Emily A

• a.k.a. Stitch -- Mando Name: Alys Werdla
Zabrak stuff
« on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:24 PM »
First off, thanks to these two people for their examples!

Sidewalker's: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=56810.0
Veshsill's:  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=60611.0

So I am a total newbie here, but I've been LARPing for a few years so I have a bit of non-human-makeup experience.  My character is going to be an Iridonian Zabrak, and I'm still deciding on how to arrange the horns and tattoos.  I have this concept doodle:

Thinking I'll buy a few small and tiny horns, glue some to my head with spirit gum, and attach a few more on hairclips.

My question for the other people who've done Zabrak Mandos is; do you wear the horns under your helmets, or just put them on for non-helmet pics?

I am thinking I would use open-cell foam to make some padding for the inside of my helmet, and cut holes in the padding where the horns go.  If I use small enough horns, it might fit, but I might get sweaty under the helmet, causing the glued ones to come loose.  Any advice or experience would be greatly valued.

Kaysh meg miit'gaana, oyacyi.
Who writes, remains.

Kixx

• Though the stars are lost to me...
Re: Zabrak stuff
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Well, if you're going full zabrak, I have a few things I'd like to point out.

Zabraks cannot grow facial hair, at least the full blooded ones. This includes eyebrows, so you'd have to either shave them off (not recommended, unless you have adequate skills with a maker to draw eyebrows on), or use latex covering to wax over them. If you're going for a half zabrak, or one of the colonial zabraks that are mixed the human population of the planet (say, Dathomir), then I'm sure you can get away with eyebrows.

I'm not sure on this front, but  pure zabraks don't have a white pigment of skin (human), unless they're mixed with humans. As I said, not sure on this front, but just to be safe (unless, as I mentioned, you're going for a mixed zabrak), I'd recommend painting your skin a shade of red or orange (pink works, too  ;D).

Other than the points listed above, I quite like the concept design of the face tattoos. It's unique, not drawing as much upon Maul type tattoos, which you'd usually see. Good luck with the build, Vod. Looking forward to seeing another Zabrak fan walking around in Beskar'gam.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:25 PM »
The Zabrak mando I can think of (but cannot find pictures of right now) has installed the horns directly to/in the helmet so it gives the appearance with the bucket on. Will follow with interest as bucket off looks always interest me

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Emily A

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:59 PM »
I know SWTOR isn't really canon, but the Zabraks in the game come in many different skin colours, so I'm taking that into account.  That and I just don't feel like doing full-face makeup, any more than I want to shave parts of my head.

As for the bucket itself... I'm planning to go for Beast Hunter eventually, and there's a rule against extra greeblies on the helmet, so I don't think I'll put horns on the outside.

Who writes, remains.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:06 PM »
Check with the Brigade Marshall for clarification. Species shouldn't (in theory) count toward an extra greeblie rule. It's not excessive extra's, it's part of the anatomy

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:59 AM »
My character is half Zabrak, so I'm interested in my options here, as well. Posting for updates/ideas.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kixx

• Though the stars are lost to me...
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:17 AM »
I know SWTOR isn't really canon, but the Zabraks in the game come in many different skin colours, so I'm taking that into account.  That and I just don't feel like doing full-face makeup, any more than I want to shave parts of my head.

As for the bucket itself... I'm planning to go for Beast Hunter eventually, and there's a rule against extra greeblies on the helmet, so I don't think I'll put horns on the outside.

The shaving of the eyebrow thing was a joke, to clarify. And yes, Swtor does sport lots of colors in the zabrak species, though the Republic side Zabraks (the one's with human pigments of skin), are part of a mixed colonial breed of zabrak.

In all honesty, it's your character. I'll humbly give advice, but you take creative license on your build.

Emily A

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2017, 04:57 PM »
Initial makeup test. 

Not particularly happy with it at the moment.  I need to paint the horns, get more shades of brown makeup, and get better at blending.

I've decided to say she's half Zabrak, to explain the eyebrows and pale skintone and whatnot.  May or may not keep this horn configuration.  I have a few more horns - they just happen to be painted blue for an upcoming LARP event at the moment.

Who writes, remains.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!