Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question about materials used in armor construction?

• 12 Replies
Question about materials used in armor construction?
« on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:49 PM »
Hi I recently began work on a helmet and I made it using cardboard and posterboard, bondoed it and such and I'd say it turned out pretty good, recently I discovered the Mando Mercs and saw the armor requirements would make my helmet obsolete, so my question is, what material am I supposed to be using? if anyone could list me what I need or link me to something along those lines that would be great, I'll be doing a bit of shopping to begin work on my set up  ;D

Go easy on me, I'm new lol

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Question about materials used in armor construction?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:02 PM »
As long as it's sufficiently sturdy, I don't see why your current bucket would be obsolete.  Try posting up a picture of it and let us get a look.  But if you really want to build a new one, stop by the Helmet section and look through the posts there.  You'll get a lot of good information about scratch building a bucket.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:23 PM »
The only reason I feel it would be obsolete is I read something saying to be approved to join clans it has to be plastic so it looks similar to other members buckets, I'll see if I can find where I read that and I'll also post picture, thank you for the feedback  ;D

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:50 PM »
The only reason I feel it would be obsolete is I read something saying to be approved to join clans it has to be plastic so it looks similar to other members buckets, I'll see if I can find where I read that and I'll also post picture, thank you for the feedback  ;D

It doesn't have to be plastic. I have other members in my clan that have scratch built helmets with cardboard and fiberglass or resin helmets. Perhaps a picture of the helmet would help out. 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:46 PM »
I couldn't figure out how to post pictures on here so heres a link to them, I need to do some reworking on some areas, but I got the top piece smoothed out for the most part, I figure I can cover up some rough areas when I paint by making it looked damaged, but I'm hoping for it to turn it out ok, I don't think it looks to bad considering it was my first attempt from scratch  ;D

http://imgur.com/a/aEjpA

http://imgur.com/a/rFW6i

« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:48 PM »
ALSO the first picture was the first time sanding it so it was a lot rougher, the second picture I just took hence it being a bit dark but the top looks a lot better than before  ;D

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Looks like a good start, but you definitely have a lot of sanding to do. Invest in a cheap palm sander, it will speed you up a whole lot.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:38 PM »
Yeah I've been using one, it feels like its taking forever though, but I know with enough patience it can turn out well, I appreciate all the feedback  ;D

« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:44 PM »
For armor materials, I recommend 6mm sintra. 6mm is just my preference cause it looks bulkier. 3mm works as well. It's super easy to work with (shape and form) and paint.

The helmet you got there looks like a great start. 

« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:04 PM »
is sintra pvc or is it a foam? and I shape it with a heat gun yes? thanks for the helpful information   ;D

« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:11 PM »
is sintra pvc or is it a foam? and I shape it with a heat gun yes? thanks for the helpful information   ;D

We call is Sintra, but it's real name is PVC foam board and yes it's best to shape it with a heat gun. If you have a local sign shop in your area they might carry it. If not, Cosplaysupplies.com carries 3 and 6mm sheets.

Legion

• Good, bad...I'm the guy with guns on my wrists.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:11 PM »

Both. It's a foam-core type of PVC sheet material.

| MMCC #0058 | Trendsetter: The original coated Mando.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:13 PM »
Awesome, thank you guys for all the responses, I'll look into purchasing some soon  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!