Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

flak vest

• 30 Replies
flak vest
« on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:05 AM »
I'm having someone make my vest.this is what it looks like so far.

Re: flak vest
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2017, 07:44 AM »
what is the best way to attach armor to the vest? I've heard of bolts and grommets,magnets and velcro,but want to know what works the best I just don't want to ruin a vest I'm when trying to attach armor plates.

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2017, 10:01 AM by Greydogtech » Logged

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2017, 08:54 AM »
All of the above work best.  That is, each person swears by the method they prefer, and every method has its merits and faults.  I personally prefer bolts or rivets because of how strongly they hold (the grommets are to prevent the vest fabric from fraying where the bolts go through) but someone else will tell you they prefer velcro or magnets  because they can adjust how the plates line up (or something like that).

It all comes down to what you think is both within your skills and what you think holds your armor best.  Whichever method you end up choosing to go with, velcro can and probably should be part of it, that is, putting velcro in the middle of your plates and in the middle of where the plates go on your vest (so that you can move the plates a fair bit without seeing the velcro) will allow you to move the plates around on your vest until they're placed and lined up properly.  Part of the 'measure twice, cut once" principle.  Then carefully mark the plate position (with chalk so it comes out easily) and then secure the plates nearer the edges (whether with bolts, velcro, magnets, rivets, etc.)

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2017, 11:35 AM »
I swear by snaps. They're really secure and mean that once your plate spacing is correct you'll never have to adjust them again and they don't wear out over time. The problem with snaps used to be that you had to get your spacing absolutely correct first time and securing them to the plates with glue or epoxy putty could be a bit hit and miss - but if you take a look at my WIP you'll see I've come up with a method of screwing the snaps to your plates that allows you to adjust spacing and fit of your plates and guarantees the snaps stay attached to the plates securely too.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2017, 10:23 PM »
Got my vest today but it's loose and neck seal looks too big.

Syko Voss

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Yep - definitely looks like you need some tailoring there.

Remembered to dig out my piece on making snaps adjustable - attach the 'male' snap to your plates with small screws - adjusting plates is then possible until you've passed the CRLs and become OM.  Then, just a dip of superglue on the snaps to secure into place permanently...

#

Here's the link to the full thread...

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93907.msg1537696#msg1537696

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Yep - definitely looks like you need some tailoring there.

Remembered to dig out my piece on making snaps adjustable - attach the 'male' snap to your plates with small screws - adjusting plates is then possible until you've passed the CRLs and become OM.  Then, just a dip of superglue on the snaps to secure into place permanently...

#

Here's the link to the full thread...

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93907.msg1537696#msg1537696
where should i have it taken in,besides the the gut or lower back.i need to find someone that could do it for me.

Syko Voss

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2017, 04:25 AM »
I reckon if you darted up from the waist at the sides, that would correct most of the fit.

That would bring it in around your waist, pull in the lower back as the fit around your arms and shoulders looks okay.

« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2017, 06:25 AM »
Ok I was thinking darting,I would do it,but my vest is two layers of duck cloth and is filled with quilt fill.

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2017, 10:16 AM by Greydogtech » Logged
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2017, 03:18 PM »
how should the vest fit, snug but not tight right? and should be just above girth belt

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:40 PM »
It should be snug, as tight as possible without restricting your ability to breathe. 

Length wise, it shouldn't hang below any of your waist items, but I've seen various lengths of vests. 

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Had it taken in

Syko Voss

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2017, 03:20 AM »
Looks much better - nice one! Was worried for you having already spent on the vest.  Time to cut out those paper templates now!

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Looks much better - nice one! Was worried for you having already spent on the vest.  Time to cut out those paper templates now!

I agree! Much better now! Soft parts are coming along nicely :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2017, 04:08 PM »
I agree! Much better now! Soft parts are coming along nicely :)

View Profile  Email  Awards  Personal Message (Online)
« Mar 14, 2017, 10:26 AM »
QuoteModifyRemove
I taped the plates on to see where they need to be,my belly button is where my finger is.I was wondering too on how to attach the back plate.

From the looks of it I need to shape them more to fit better.

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2017, 06:27 PM »
It looks like the collar could come up a bit and the rest of the plates to follow. The collar should pretty much be choking you (but not actually!)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2017, 06:42 PM »
I will try my neck seal is kinda big so it might get in wait,besides at how's the spacing.

« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2017, 07:31 AM by Greydogtech » Logged

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2017, 12:30 AM »
Spacing appears consistent all around, good job there :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2017, 07:35 AM »
Spacing appears consistent all around, good job there :)
Great im just going to temporally put them on with magnets  of if they will stay on and the day after the con will go to armor party to get help making it stay,what is the best way to put on back plate?

Syko Voss

« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Mine has about 6 snaps that are arranged around the back plate and snap to the flak vest in strategic places to take the weight and pull the flak vest up to the back plate so I don't get any gaps.
Then, above both shoulders on the back plate, I embedded two Chicago screws above that allow me to attach two thick leather straps that go over my shoulders and connect with snaps to the underside of my collar plate.
That means I can leave the backplate connected to the vest, put on the flak vest and snap the collar plate onto the vest and finally the two straps.

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2017, 11:23 PM »
My backplates are held on by Velcro. it does sometimes need a little adjustment here and there, but overall I like this method personally

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2017, 10:49 AM »
I moved the color plate as much as I could and formed plates more to body.

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2017, 02:18 PM »
The collar looks like it's in a better spot :) don't forgot to leave the same distance between your collar and chest plates as the chest and ab plates

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2017, 02:33 PM »
The collar looks like it's in a better spot :) don't forgot to leave the same distance between your collar and chest plates as the chest and ab plates

So is the distance between the chest plates good and I just have to make sure collar is sane distance or do I need to move chest plates closer?

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #24 on: Mar 20, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Spacing should be consistent between all plates. We like to say that it should be about a thumb width apart.

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!