Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandoslinger: Have Blasters - Will Travel (the Legacy adventures of Ohl'd Vart)

• 42 Replies

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Thanks, guys!  ;D

As previously mentioned, I just wasn't happy with the cheapo black vinyl holsters that I made the first time around; they were too flimsy and floppy, and the guns would tend to pop out when I moved too quickly or turned suddenly. Since Drake has experience with building holsters out of sintra, I hit him up for a pair made out of 3mm, which actually look like leather, once they are heated and formed around the guns.

Here's what we came up with, before adding details....I've already weathered them with some fine, misted overspray of 3 'earthy' colors...

With my Mando skull fixtures added using CA (ala Paladin the gunfighter, from the Have Gun - Will Travel western TV series of the late 1950s), and the holes drilled for the leather lacing; I've added a couple of belt loops (from the same grommeted fashion belt I used for the boot grenades) laced on the rear of the holsters, to slide over the gunbelt...

Adding the leather lacing. Tip: If you use a lot of leather thongs like I do (look at the 'Original' Ohld Vart, lol), then the cheapest supply I've found it to go to your local thrift store, and pick up a few braided leather men's and women's fashion belts; use a seam ripper or scissors to remove the buckle end, and then unravel the belt into individual strips. This is MUCH cheaper than buying online (or going to Tandy leather), and is a much stronger lace than the spooled craft stuff you get from Jo-Anns or Wal-Mart.

Laced up the back....

Almost finished! I've added a couple of leg tie-downs...

Now I just need to add some black leather polish to those brown laces, to tone them down a bit....more to come!

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Those look nice and solid.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
They are, Bow...much better than my first attempt. ;)

While I was monkeying with those holsters, I decided I needed a bandolier accessory for this outfit, as I need 'ammo' for the blasters, and I need something to sling over my shoulder to add some detail and depth to the outfit.

I decided to use 9volt AA batteries from the Dollar Tree, by stripping the plastic sleeves off of them, to make "power cells" for my guns. I used a couple of old leather belts linked together for length and a western-themed belt buckle I picked up off eBay; I drilled some holes and used those belt laces I unraveled to make power cell 'loops', which I used to lace the batteries to the main belt....

Here's a shot of it, draped over my shoulder (no, I'm not mad...that's my "game face" when working on armor, lol)...

And a couple of it on my chest armor, to check out the effect; as you can see, I added an extra lame to the chest armor, because the "gut gap" was too large for me to fill successfully with belts and wraps...this closes that gap a bit, and makes it easier to bridge....

Now, all I need to do is weather the whole unit, to give it that 'used' look. While I was at it, I added a few "power cell" details to the cylinders of the pistols, since these are to be my primary power source for the blasters...

These new holsters work like a charm; the guns slide in and out effortlessly, and I can actually quick-draw these babies! As you can see, I'm also working on a segmented cod...more of that to come later this week. ;)

Rob

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
Here's a close-up of the cylinder detail....

And a long coat that I picked up at a thrift store; I used 2 packets of black RIT dye to make it darker; I'm going to remove the sleeves, or at least shorten them up a bit...

Rob

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
A few close-ups of the helmet, without the brim....

I'm going to add some western-themed striping details around the visor edge, to break up the 'blank space'.

Also, I've got some "Test fit" photos that I want to share, but probably tomorrow; Photobucket has betrayed me for the last time, so I'm switching to Imgur for some (hopeful) stability of image posting....stay tuned!

Rob

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
Test fit time!

It needs some more finishing touches (the cod needs some work, as does the overcoat), and I have a few more pieces to build and/or buy (finish the gaunts, knees, shoulder plates, leather gloves, etc.), but here's a sneak peak of what I'm working towards...

Helmet without brim, using old gloves and a junk vest/coat liner....

This gives you a general idea of the direction I'm going....I'm hoping to get it done and official by Celebration. Now, I'm off to work on it again! :)

Rob

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2017, 08:35 PM by Ohl'd Vart » Logged

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
Getting there... :)

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Skeltis

• No time to explain... But I'll explain anyway
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member EnviroOps Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Looks awesome!
I think without brim is better. Kit gives a strong, solid impression of a gunslinger, and it's balanced. And with brim it's becomes a bit obtrusive, like accenting something, that is obvious enough.

Nadia

I am the odd duck out I guess but I really like it with the brim lol. I enjoy westerns though and that gives it the definite western feel for me. Either way its looking amazing!

We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.
My WIP:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111994.0

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
I am the odd duck out I guess but I really like it with the brim lol. I enjoy westerns though and that gives it the definite western feel for me. Either way its looking amazing!

I'm fond of it, too, but I'm afraid it might not fly through the App process; I may do a "with" and "without" option, to see what they say. ;)

Rob

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
I like the "With" option.  That headband on the without makes me think of a '60's era hippie... :laugh:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Naritir Ka'ra

• If at first you don't succeed... reload.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
I'm with Nadia... I like the brim. It gives you a Hondo Ohnaka kind of a vibe.

MMCC #1755 | Invasions: 10
BOMB #57 | PMS #8 | MLCS #2 | WB #13 | VABS | MA #175 | MACK #41 | MTS #108 | MARS #66 | GOMOL #28 | MirShebs #16 | Wrang #3

I'll sign autographs, after the smoke clears.
Mk01 OM 4/5/17
F: naritir T: @naritir_kara IG: naritir
Story

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
Well, with Celebration coming up quick, I had to put a rush on finishing the kit...at least, the first iteration of it, anyway. I submitted my app pics about a week before, and within a few days (and with a few suggested fixes), my secondary kit was finally approved in time for Celebration!

For those who haven't seen it in person, here's what I ended up with:

The hat brim is added as an "accessory", after the fact....I can remove it for official troops, and use it anytime there's an unofficial one:

After stomping around Celebration for a few hours, I found a few things I needed to fix...as we all do, when premiering a new kit (notice the right knee plate slipping down, lol).

I've got another troop coming up in a couple of weeks, and hope to make the needed changes before then. When I do, I'll post them up here. ;)

Rob

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Congrats on getting this kit offcialized!  Have been watching this WIP, and grabbed your pistol hanger for my mare's leg blaster.   I think with or without the brim it looks awesome!

Shevla Ram'ser

• Osik, they have a tank...
I've watched all your work for a while now. I wasn't sold on the brim at first, but I've seen the Celebration pics up on facebook and I absolutely love the hat now. One of the most unique kits I've seen.

"If it's 'NERF or nothing' , I choose nothing..."

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
I really like it with the brim, vod! Was cool finally meeting you at Celebration!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
 :P I'm so in love with the idea of the gunslinger and the wrinkled hat brim. Very old western. Find two more vode and you guys can do Good Bad and the Ugly. (positions are at your discretion lol)

"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!