Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kath Kandar's Armor WIP (take 2)

• 119 Replies

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Kath Kandar's Armor WIP (take 2)
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2017, 08:38 PM »
It looks like the right chest plate could use some more shaping. The "fang" section isn't laying flat. Jenga already addressed the collar and the rest of the plates look good.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Kath Gra'tuur

• Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2017, 04:56 PM »
i have done some more work on the upper body.  I think I have the pieces shaped correctly now.  I have sewn on my Velcro to my flak vest.  I have also added to the pics my shoulder bells.  As you can see, I have also started working on painting these pieces.  My color scheme is navy with black.  I am still working on correcting some spots that I did not like.  I also need to add a little more weathering on the left chest plate (outside - just a hint).  Once the paint dries, I plan on giving it a black wash.  Here are some pics:

Here is a picture with my girth belt and ammo belt added in.  (I am currently also working on ammo pouches not pictured.)

I would also like an opinion on color.  I had originally had a two piece flight suit made from scrubs.  I have already been told that I need to have the upper arms taken in to be more fitted.  If I use this flight suit, I will do that.  My concern is that I have too many dark colors if I use this flight suit.  I have the dark plates on a black vest.  The pictures above are just a long sleeve t-shirt that I used for color.  I am thinking about to a lighter color for a flight suit (maybe a light to medium gray).  Thoughts?  Here is the navy flight suit.  (But now looking at the pic again, I think maybe I like it better than the gray.  Too many decisions!)   

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Bes'uliik Clan -  Tennessee  OM #2107

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #77 on: Jun 02, 2017, 11:32 PM »
I think the navy flightsuit will probably end up matching your kit a bit more, but the gray has the potential to look nice too! Nice job with the paint too! Your weathering is really nice. As you said, you'll need to get the flightsuit taken in but that's an easy task so I'm sure you'll get that done in no time. Great progress.  :D

My only little critique is your collar plate is looking a little close to your chest plates. May just be the position you're standing in (i know mine do that at some angles) but you may have to move the chest down just the tiniest bit

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #78 on: Jun 02, 2017, 11:50 PM »
I think the navy flightsuit will probably end up matching your kit a bit more, but the gray has the potential to look nice too! Nice job with the paint too! Your weathering is really nice. As you said, you'll need to get the flightsuit taken in but that's an easy task so I'm sure you'll get that done in no time. Great progress.  :D

My only little critique is your collar plate is looking a little close to your chest plates. May just be the position you're standing in (i know mine do that at some angles) but you may have to move the chest down just the tiniest bit

Thanks vod! I've done some black wash too. I will take some new pics and try to reposition the chest and collar.

Thanks for the feedback as always!

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #79 on: Jun 05, 2017, 01:45 PM »
While I am making adjustments to my flight suit and flak vest, I also wanted to get some feedback on the thigh armor.  Jenga (I think) stated on a post a while back that it looked like my thigh plates were too large.  Below is a picture of my current thigh plates and the smaller size ones (via paper).  Do the smaller, paper ones look more accurate?  I do think that the larger ones are too big as they bump up on the knees. 

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #80 on: Jun 05, 2017, 10:37 PM »
Update to upper body:

In these top two pictures, I am wearing an updated flak vest and top piece to my flight suit.  I changed the flak vest from a lace up the sides to a velcro fastening.  I think it fits better and is much easier to get in and out of.  I have also taken in the arms on the shirt of the flight suit so they are much more form fitting to my arms.  The color of the flight suit is navy.  I have also (per Jenga's comments) tried to make sure the spacing is correct between the collar and the chest pieces. 

Again, I am also still toying with flight suit colors.  I may have an opportunity to purchase an actual flight suit at a really good price.  It is black.  For the sake of seeing the color, in these two pictures, I am wearing a black shirt.  My character is going to be lurking around cities collecting bounty, so the idea of darker is appealing as well.  I also have my girth belt on for this picture.  Thoughts?

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #81 on: Jun 21, 2017, 10:08 AM »
So I was touching up paint on my shoulder bell last week.  I found out the hard way not to spray paint when the humidity is near 100% and it is super hot outside.  Back to the sanding board for this piece. 

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #82 on: Jun 21, 2017, 06:16 PM »
IMHO, if you play that right, it might be interesting piece of weathering...
I've had some trouble with bubles coming up with the layer of paint. At first I was angry with the producer, but than I thought it might give interesting effect, and I kept it with some additional weathering.

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976
« Reply #83 on: Jun 21, 2017, 06:55 PM »
Dude.... some vicious animal spit acid on you!  Might just need some neon/green/yellow weathering/staining. Its not out of the question to work it in.

But yeah... it would bug me too... if it wasn't planned.

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #84 on: Jun 21, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Dude.... some vicious animal spit acid on you!  Might just need some neon/green/yellow weathering/staining. Its not out of the question to work it in.

But yeah... it would bug me too... if it wasn't planned.

How would I work that into the paint job? That's not a bag idea. Or maybe acid from a factory or something?

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #85 on: Jun 27, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Some updates.  I am working on my leg armor a little bit.  I like the way that it looks.  I really want to make it a part of my kit.  I trimmed down the thigh armor.  What I had was too big.  Below are some pics.  Here are some issues that I am having and would like some advice on:

* I have one of the knee elastic straps keeps pulling free of the snap.  Any thoughts on strengthening the elastic where the snap is? 
* I like the way the thigh armor looks, but I'm having trouble with keeping it in place.  I have  strap system that goes around the back of my thighs with a buckle and then a strap that buckles to a belt (that will most likely be under my girth belt).  Any thoughts on how to improve this?
* How does the size and position of the cod piece look.  I am not happy with that at all really.
* I am going to work on the position of the shin guards (and will be adding boot armor).  How do the shins look?

Update: Here is shots of my back armor.  I am thinking about attaching it to the vest with the industrial strength velcro.  Will that hold the back armor or does it need extra support to hold it on?

Update: 06/30: Here are some pictures of the back plate cut and shaped and "stuck" to my back.  I did as best I could with tape.  It is not setting down and snug as I think it will with actual attachments. 

How does the shape look?  Also, what are some good attachment methods?  Will velcro by itself work?

Additional Update 6/30: Here are some pics of my upper body armor with the new flight suit on.  Where exactly does the girth belt and ammo belt need to sit?

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 09:57 AM by kathkandar » Logged

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #86 on: Jul 18, 2017, 10:09 PM »
I will be posting some more pictures soon.  I have  been doing a little bit of armor work, a little soft parts work, and quite a bit of work on my new  bucket.  I will put up some pictures of the armor progress later this week.  I have gone to just knee pads, cod piece, and boot covers for my lower  body armor wanting agility and movement more than the armor.  I have also changed up my color scheme a bit.  More to come soon.

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #87 on: Jul 24, 2017, 10:08 AM »
I have been making several adjustments to my kit.  Here are some pics below.  I hope that I am getting closer to being ready to pre-app my kit.  Here are details of the changes I have made / am making.  As always, suggestions and feedback are welcome!

* Helmet: still sanding, priming, sanding priming, etc.  I hope to start painting later in the week
* Shoulder bells: The ones I had were too small, making my helmet look even bigger and almost being unnoticeable.  I am currently priming them and hope to have them painted up later this week.
* Chest pieces: I did not like the size of my other ones.  I felt there not long enough.  I am working on making ones that are a little wider and a little longer.  I will use the existing chest diamond and ab piece.  The new chest pieces are being primed and hopefully will be painted later this week.
* Gauntlets: I am still having trouble with the closure.  I had tried a formed piece of plastic that went across the gap, but it did not hold.  Hence the tape in these pictures.  I am considering going back to a buckle closure (see pic below).  It's not as swarzy as the diamond piano hinge, but I could not get the hinge to always close correctly. 
* Addition of the kama.  I had made this a long time ago when I first started my kit.  I recently had decided not to use it, but once I had it on, I really liked it.
* Shin armor.  I had made this a while back and was not going to use it either, but liked it with the kama. 

I also know I have some work to do on positioning.  Any thoughts there are welcome as well.

Here are a few pics:

« Reply #88 on: Aug 02, 2017, 11:36 AM »
How would I work that into the paint job? That's not a bag idea. Or maybe acid from a factory or something?

I know, I'm late to the response. So late, that you've even redone the armor. But I'll share anyways.

My thought on acid (either factory or animal spit), is to rough it up using something to pit it (soldering iron, stabbing it, etc) and maybe even add small flakes to imitate rust flaking, then paint on a high contrast (IMO, higher for animal spit) base with some dripping/streaking. I've seen some add a powder onto a glue base for texture. Best thing is to just google search something similar. But switching away from the traditional rusty brown will make it seem like a more "exotic" acid, or armor material. AKA... switch in neon yellow/green/blue/orange. Keeping that particular color separate from the rest of your damage will make it pop even more. The trick is texture, so it doesn't look like just a deeper layer of paint on that piece of armor.

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #89 on: Aug 02, 2017, 12:44 PM »
Thank you for the info vod! That's a lot of detail. I actually scrapped those particular bells as I did not like the size, but I will definitely keep this in mind for future builds!

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #90 on: Aug 03, 2017, 07:33 PM »
I have black washed several pieces.  I still need to black wash the Knee caps, codpiece, and hand armor.  Thoughts on black wash and weathering?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #91 on: Aug 03, 2017, 07:45 PM »
Those plates look well lived in. 

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #92 on: Aug 03, 2017, 08:38 PM »

He's a busy Mando.   :)

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #93 on: Aug 03, 2017, 09:06 PM »

On a serious note... Too much?

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #94 on: Aug 03, 2017, 09:20 PM »
No, I'd say just right.   ;D
Are you making the soft parts look as good?

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #95 on: Aug 03, 2017, 09:30 PM »
No, I'd say just right.   ;D
Are you making the soft parts look as good?

I weathered the cape pretty well, may need a little more work. My flight suit is black. I am open to suggestions for that. I have not done any weathering to the Kama yet.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #96 on: Aug 03, 2017, 10:20 PM »
I've heard that browns and whites make for good choices in weathering black cloth.  Think about where the most wear and tear will be. Places like where your armor will rub, or where dust and sweat will gather.
Also, where does your Mando operate? Think about what is in that environment that will stain your armor and soft parts.
As for methods, I'll let someone with more experience chime in. I started with a relatively clean kit, and just let it happen naturally.

Boxception

• Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #97 on: Aug 06, 2017, 12:41 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/xV2Nd

Let me chime in here vod. Weathering dark soft goods can be a challenge but it isn't impossible. First I put it on and drug myself all over the place. Rub it in concrete, walls dirt, mud, grass. What ever you find.  Do this specifically in mind with real word wear.  Think about like others have said. The armor you wear will rub. So have weeatgering in those areas. The elbows. My flight suit is worn in the armpits and crotch too, helps at the effect of wear.  Also. Satin paint will help "fade the black"    I tried to post an album for you to see. But I'm on my phone so if it doesn't work. Check my previous wip

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW       Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
MY WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=135464.msg1752482#msg1752482

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #98 on: Aug 06, 2017, 11:51 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/xV2Nd

Let me chime in here vod. Weathering dark soft goods can be a challenge but it isn't impossible. First I put it on and drug myself all over the place. Rub it in concrete, walls dirt, mud, grass. What ever you find.  Do this specifically in mind with real word wear.  Think about like others have said. The armor you wear will rub. So have weeatgering in those areas. The elbows. My flight suit is worn in the armpits and crotch too, helps at the effect of wear.  Also. Satin paint will help "fade the black"    I tried to post an album for you to see. But I'm on my phone so if it doesn't work. Check my previous wip

Thanks Vod!  That will help out.  That is my next item to weather after I finish my helmet. 

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #99 on: Aug 06, 2017, 11:59 AM »
I have finished black washing everything except the helmet.  All i have left to weather is the flight suit and kama.  I think (hope) that I am almost ready for Pre-App.  Below are some new pics with the whole kit on.  Any feedback is always welcome.

FYI: the spacing in the pics makes it look like there is no space between some of the plates, but in reality, there is about a thumbs length.  Also the girth belt kept sliding down.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!