Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Molle frame

• 4 Replies
Molle frame
« on: Mar 09, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I know the Alice frames have been used for years, but has anyone tried using a molle frame to set up either a jetpack or backpack for their costume?

I'm considering getting one and cutting it to fit.  They are lightweight and have a ton of places to attach the pack and a harness.

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
Re: Molle frame
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2017, 12:35 AM »
While I don't know of anyone that has specifically used one, I don't see a reason why one wouldn't work. The thing to remember is that in general an ALICE frame is going to be (typically) a lot less expensive than a MOLLE frame.

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:18 AM »
Actually, used molle frames are running in the $10-20 range on ebay, whereas I see Alice frames in the $20-30 range.
Having said that, I'm debating on a few other options.

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2017, 02:18 PM »
There are many ALICE frames on evilbay that are in the $10-20 price range as well. Some even have the bag(s) included. Not saying that you shouldn't get MOLLE if that is what you desire, I am just saying that typically ALICE is less expensive to acquire. At one of my local surplus stores they are $5-8 in excellent condition, and it doesn't have any shipping fee like buying online usually does. The biggest issue with buying online is shipping costs, this is due to metal vs plastic weight. Also since ALICE is used for everything from Star Wars to Ghostbusters, many sellers artificially increase their prices as many costumers don't think of looking at places other than etsy/ebay/amazon/etc.

Other options to look into are used backpacking frames, or even making your own frame. Several members have used PVC for this.

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2017, 02:24 PM by Reginmund » Logged
C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2017, 08:29 PM »
I've got a couple ALICE frames and a BSA pack frame, which is the basis for my comms pack.  I see no reason why a MOLLE frame wouldn't work.  Certainly nothing forbids using one.  I think because​ the ALICE and BSA frames are screen used, and therefore canon, people gravitate towards them for an authentic look.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!