Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Athorr's helmet build thread

• 4 Replies

Athorr Cadera

• Awards 40% increase or more
Athorr's helmet build thread
« on: Mar 12, 2017, 07:33 PM »
While I wait on my app, here's my helmet build log for anyone who's interested. Mine is an Eternal Armory Death Watch v2.0; I was really pleased with the quality of the cast and found it a lot of fun to work with and customize.

Testing for beard coverage ;)

With all parts:

First visor cuts, with sketched-in areas where I would eventually add damage, paint chips, etc.

Visor cut-out, cleaned up:

As always, my base coat was Rustoleum 2x flat black. I then started adding rub n buff; initially, I was just putting it where I knew it'd show through...

But I ended up covering the whole thing, just to maximize my options.

Taped off, with masking fluid used for the damaged and chipped areas:

The spray paint I used on the helmet really messed with me - it changed colors as I was spraying it. I don't mean it dried a different color, I mean it literally changed as it was coming out of the can. The final color wasn't what I'd planned, but I still liked it, so I rolled with it.

Second pass. I redid the masking fluid slightly differently so that the chipped and damaged paint would have some dimension and depth.

Gluing on the earcaps; I used black E6000.

I used carefully-arranged rare earth magnets to make my rangefinder both removable and capable of rotation:

The finished helmet! I already have a second helmet in the planning stages with a lot of improvements on little things I think I could've done better here, but all in all, I'm very proud of how it turned out. Let me know what y'all think!

Barn

Re: Athorr's helmet build thread
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2017, 08:20 PM »
Looks excellent :)

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2017, 08:37 PM »
That looks awesome  :D

Anansi

• Ratiin de gar be'eso, ner vod.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2017, 04:05 PM »
That looks incredible! Did you have to do anything special to make sure the paint bonded to the rub n buffed areas or did it go on without issue?

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Athorr Cadera

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:24 PM »
That looks incredible! Did you have to do anything special to make sure the paint bonded to the rub n buffed areas or did it go on without issue?

Thanks! I didn't have any trouble with either of the spray paints sticking to the rub n buff and drying normally, though as mentioned the blue had some odd color shifts that I suppose could've been related to it. Also worth noting, since I didn't mention it above: I buffed it pretty hard before painting, and let it dry in for a day or two afterward. It's been a year and a half since I painted my helmet and other armor, and I haven't had any problems with it.

I also recommend several layers of clear coat on top when you're all done with the weathering, as even after a long time and lots of buffing, rub n buff can still be active and rub off on other things. The clear coat will alter the final metallic finish ever so slightly, but in my case at least I was quite happy with it!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!