Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Athorr's helmet build thread

• 4 Replies

Athorr Cadera

• Awards 40% increase or more
Athorr's helmet build thread
« on: Mar 12, 2017, 07:33 PM »
While I wait on my app, here's my helmet build log for anyone who's interested. Mine is an Eternal Armory Death Watch v2.0; I was really pleased with the quality of the cast and found it a lot of fun to work with and customize.

Testing for beard coverage ;)

With all parts:

First visor cuts, with sketched-in areas where I would eventually add damage, paint chips, etc.

Visor cut-out, cleaned up:

As always, my base coat was Rustoleum 2x flat black. I then started adding rub n buff; initially, I was just putting it where I knew it'd show through...

But I ended up covering the whole thing, just to maximize my options.

Taped off, with masking fluid used for the damaged and chipped areas:

The spray paint I used on the helmet really messed with me - it changed colors as I was spraying it. I don't mean it dried a different color, I mean it literally changed as it was coming out of the can. The final color wasn't what I'd planned, but I still liked it, so I rolled with it.

Second pass. I redid the masking fluid slightly differently so that the chipped and damaged paint would have some dimension and depth.

Gluing on the earcaps; I used black E6000.

I used carefully-arranged rare earth magnets to make my rangefinder both removable and capable of rotation:

The finished helmet! I already have a second helmet in the planning stages with a lot of improvements on little things I think I could've done better here, but all in all, I'm very proud of how it turned out. Let me know what y'all think!

Barn

Re: Athorr's helmet build thread
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2017, 08:20 PM »
Looks excellent :)

Gol Nazyne Vizsla

• Formerly 'Nazyne'
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2017, 08:37 PM »
That looks awesome  :D

Anansi

• Ratiin de gar be'eso, ner vod.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2017, 04:05 PM »
That looks incredible! Did you have to do anything special to make sure the paint bonded to the rub n buffed areas or did it go on without issue?

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Anansi's Armor WIP

Athorr Cadera

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:24 PM »
That looks incredible! Did you have to do anything special to make sure the paint bonded to the rub n buffed areas or did it go on without issue?

Thanks! I didn't have any trouble with either of the spray paints sticking to the rub n buff and drying normally, though as mentioned the blue had some odd color shifts that I suppose could've been related to it. Also worth noting, since I didn't mention it above: I buffed it pretty hard before painting, and let it dry in for a day or two afterward. It's been a year and a half since I painted my helmet and other armor, and I haven't had any problems with it.

I also recommend several layers of clear coat on top when you're all done with the weathering, as even after a long time and lots of buffing, rub n buff can still be active and rub off on other things. The clear coat will alter the final metallic finish ever so slightly, but in my case at least I was quite happy with it!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!