Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Outlander's Rantish Design/Build Thread

• 30 Replies
Re: Outlander's Rantish Design Thread
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Meant to do this yesterday:

This is what the Mquarrie looks like. There are three vents that attach over the recessed mouth, rangefinder mounts on the left and is not moveable (although you can always leave it off, especially if you're going with a hood over the helmet)

Again, it's tight on my head but that's likely caused by the extra material on the bottom being slightly caved inwards, once you sand down some of the inner material it should really help open the helmet up.

Hmm. Not bad. Not sure if it's what i'm really going for though, and the money i'd have to drop on it would be significantly more than if I used a helmet and some buckets.

« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:14 AM »
True, it came in at $175 with shipping and I'm not sure if it'll actually end up doing what I want it for. Still, I can at least keep it and if I have to scratchbuild something bigger i'll have all the dimensions I need.

I just figured it might work, since it's got a lot of what you seem to be trying for with your kit. I like the rifle idea as well btw. I may be able to rig something up along those lines if you're interested, or at least I have more than enough materials to get you a barrel if you need one.
"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> "

Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin,
Wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
Ahrk fin norok paal graan fod nust hon zindro zaan,
Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!

« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:18 AM »
True, it came in at $175 with shipping and I'm not sure if it'll actually end up doing what I want it for. Still, I can at least keep it and if I have to scratchbuild something bigger i'll have all the dimensions I need.

I just figured it might work, since it's got a lot of what you seem to be trying for with your kit. I like the rifle idea as well btw. I may be able to rig something up along those lines if you're interested, or at least I have more than enough materials to get you a barrel if you need one.

Oh yeah, I see what you're getting at. My idea was just to have an armor plate extruded out instead of flushed like the Mcquarrie concept is.

Might just take you up on that. I'll shoot you a PM.

« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:28 AM »
Oh yeah, I see what you're getting at. My idea was just to have an armor plate extruded out instead of flushed like the Mcquarrie concept is.

Might just take you up on that. I'll shoot you a PM.

The advantage of the mquarrie is that you already have a rebreather-looking system built into the helmet instead of needing to make one and attach it.

PM responded
"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> "

Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin,
Wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
Ahrk fin norok paal graan fod nust hon zindro zaan,
Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!

« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2017, 08:24 PM »
So, here are my colors and a little mock up of my chest plating:

The green and sand are actually on different levels, with the green acting as raised trauma plates ala Raestin Ke'Varek's Build. Overall, I really like these colors, and the patterns, and stealing borrowing the trauma plating idea makes me really excited to get working on my plates!

EDIT:

How's my spacing looking, fellows?
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017, 04:51 AM by Danne Outlander » Logged

Daxar Arkada

• Formerly 'jlebron00'
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:25 AM »
It looks like your collar plate needs to come up more, it should be right at your neck.

Also, the ab plate needs consistent spacing on all sides from the chest plates.

But you're doing great so far!

« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:32 AM »
It looks like your collar plate needs to come up more, it should be right at your neck.

Also, the ab plate needs consistent spacing on all sides from the chest plates.

But you're doing great so far!

Thanks! I'll get my templates and re-do the spacing once I get home.

Do the armor pieces themselves look big enough? Gotta cover up my gut. :laugh:

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2017, 01:59 PM »
The funny thing is that most folks end up with armor that's too big to start with and needs to be trimmed down!  (Think of it this way, if the plates are smaller, the color blocking provided actually visually slims you. . .  )  I think you can definitely stand a little trimming down, but it would be easier to determine in person.

If you can come out to one of our armor parties, where a local OM can help you with sizing in person, that would be awesome.  Think we could make that happen?
My WIP - female armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=25453

My Ursa Wren build http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=128908.0

501st - Legacy Stormtrooper  
Rebel Legion & 501st - Jawa

EMTS #153
Brigade- Special Ops: Assassin

« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2017, 02:04 PM »
The funny thing is that most folks end up with armor that's too big to start with and needs to be trimmed down!  (Think of it this way, if the plates are smaller, the color blocking provided actually visually slims you. . .  )  I think you can definitely stand a little trimming down, but it would be easier to determine in person.

If you can come out to one of our armor parties, where a local OM can help you with sizing in person, that would be awesome.  Think we could make that happen?

Yeah! I couldn't make it to the one last Friday (Already had something planned with some friends for my Birthday), but i'd be absolutely down for another.

EDIT:

Fitting look any better?

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2017, 11:59 PM by Danne Outlander » Logged

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2017, 11:47 AM »
The height looks about right but the width looks a bit wide.

The top edges of your chest plates should line up with the edges of your collar plate.  Right now it looks to extend past .25 - .5 inch or so.  I could be wrong since the picture is at an angle.  For best result try to get a straight on shot if possible. I know it is not easy when doing it yourself.

« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2017, 11:53 AM »
The height looks about right but the width looks a bit wide.

The top edges of your chest plates should line up with the edges of your collar plate.  Right now it looks to extend past .25 - .5 inch or so.  I could be wrong since the picture is at an angle.  For best result try to get a straight on shot if possible. I know it is not easy when doing it yourself.

I'll try to set up my laptop to take a picture later today. Should let me take a straight-on shot.

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:51 AM »

What part of town are you in, again?  We can try to get you connected with someone OM in the area that can help with spacing and picture taking, in person.  :) 
My WIP - female armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=25453

My Ursa Wren build http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=128908.0

501st - Legacy Stormtrooper  
Rebel Legion & 501st - Jawa

EMTS #153
Brigade- Special Ops: Assassin

« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:03 AM »
What part of town are you in, again?  We can try to get you connected with someone OM in the area that can help with spacing and picture taking, in person.  :)

I'm around Conyers, in the suburbs. Not too far out from Atlanta.

EDIT:

Went out on my first supply run today!

In total, got my first dremel (:D), some grey finish, super glue, 150 grit Sandpaper, and a 5 gallon bucket. Tomorrow, i'm gonna be getting some Sintra (3 and 6), so, theoretically, I could get started on my armor. Once I get my legacy templates fitted, that is.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2017, 02:02 AM by Danne Outlander » Logged

« Reply #28 on: Apr 10, 2017, 12:54 AM »
Been a little while, but progress is happening!

Plates:

Cut out my first two plates (Chest plates to be exact) using some extra sintra from when I tried making armor oh so many years ago. Been talking to a signshop literally .2 miles from my house about getting some proper sheets of 3 and 6 mm, so that's still up on the to-do list.

Helmet:

Well, i'm a bit stumped on the design. I'm down to this one that I like.

I like splitting the left and right side, since I think it gives the helmet an interesting feel, but i'm not really sure if I want to keep it or not. Thoughts?

Besides that, I went by the goodwill today looking for a jacket I can modify into a vest, but came out with something else...

Me with the helmet and some...other purchases

Managed to find a kids bike helmet for about 1.20$! Slid the insert out and try it on, and it fits fairly well. Took it home and cut off the power rangers covering. It will be missed.

Weapons:

Almost finished work on my 3D Printed Bryar Pistol and I think it looks pretty durn good.

Gotta smooth out some bondo in the crack between the screw and the muzzle, and fill in a few holes, but then it should be all good for priming and painting.

WORK CONTINUES!

Re: Outlander's Rantish Design/Build Thread
« Reply #29 on: Apr 16, 2017, 09:54 PM »
Been pretty busy recently, but I have been making some progress with my templates!

(Ugh)

First, I've been working on my helmet with... less than desirable results.

That one has a good size for the visor and good eye position, but the front comes out waaaaay too far.

This one isn't nearly as far out, but the eye position is way off, and it feels too small.

So, i'm just gonna take this back to the drawing board. The bike helmet, I think, will work. Bit small height wise, but I can compensate by making the template slightly taller. I need to make the bottom longer as well, since it doesn't cover my chin at the moment (And the beard is a bit of a giveaway).

EDIT:

Redid it, and it's looking a LOT better:

What i'm feeling slightly better about is an idea I stole borrowed from The Force Unleashed. Specifically, Starkiller's gauntlets on Raxus Prime:

It doesn't limit my range of movement too much, but it does make holding a blaster somewhat awkward. I could Chop off the bottom and use some kind of concealed straps to secure it, or just mount it to the glove. I'll keep tweaking it and see what I can come up with.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2017, 02:09 AM by Danne Outlander » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!