Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

QuinGin - Helmet WIP scatch build. --MK III Starts on Page 3

• 44 Replies
If I drop it any more, I will be looking at hardhat instead of orange.  I have a lot of skull -- size 8.5 hat.

Skekkesh

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Looking at hat hat is ok. That part can be carved out to make room for your glasses. Thats what i had to do form my wife helmet. You will just want to extend the brow a bit.

W.I.P.s
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #76 ||V.O.T.S. #63 || Grey Brigade #29 || B.E.A.R.D.S #123 || B.o.B.B. #12 || V.R.C.A. #72  || Kilted Mando #37 || G.O.M.O.L #22 || M.A.C.K #31 || M.A 24er #164 || Mando Rider #134 || M.A.J.I.C. #170 || L.O.B #37

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGUNGIGATOR
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Skekkesh is correct. You want to drop the dome down and trim out where the visor lines up.
K.O.M.S. # 037
E.R.A. #033
Dog lobster supporter #38
BoBB#002
MABEL #062
MMCC #1120
Kilted Mando Brigade Member #24
Legacy W.I.P.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80766.0
Pre Vizsla Phase II Helmet W.I.P.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79261.0

I guess I don't understand... cause then I end up with  the brim of the hard hat behind an inch high wall, and I'd still have to bridge that somehow.

If I cut off the brim, it shrinks the bucket, and then there's no room for my nose again like the first bucket... was unable to find a skating helmet or other hat that without including the brim would give me enough room.

Right now the bucket part feels right... I just wish I had a dome of the apppriate size and shallowness to fill it without a brim. 

Skekkesh

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Just cut out the part that is in the way of you sightline.

W.I.P.s
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #76 ||V.O.T.S. #63 || Grey Brigade #29 || B.E.A.R.D.S #123 || B.o.B.B. #12 || V.R.C.A. #72  || Kilted Mando #37 || G.O.M.O.L #22 || M.A.C.K #31 || M.A 24er #164 || Mando Rider #134 || M.A.J.I.C. #170 || L.O.B #37

But what do I do about the space behind the front wall of the bucket I will be creating when I drop the dome down?

Skekkesh

The space created will give you space for your glasses. Your can fill the top to strips of bucket material. Try making a bucket template from posterboard. It will save you from using up buckets. Make the template about an inch too long then adnust it from there.

W.I.P.s

Ok, that's what I was trying to get at.  I'l see if I can remove the hardhat from the bucket with a razor blade and drop it down. so that the bulges are even with the top of the bucket.  Then cover the wedge shaped mote with plastic, then figure out from there what to cut out for my vizor. 

Thanks for all your help! Will post next pics when I have them!

Skekkesh

I used expanding spray foam to fill the bulk of the gap on my wife's bucket. Then some hot glue, followed by bondo to finish. It helped keep the weight down.

W.I.P.s

New Dome level:

I only tacked it in place with some hot glue to check the level.  Next step is to pull it back out because that'll make applying epoxy to all the inner seams easier.  Once the epoxy sets, remove the hot glue from the outside, epoxy the outer seams.

Before I put the dome back in place, I'm going to go ahead and sand it, and the inner surface of the bucket.  I also made plastic bits to go over the top and connect to the dome that I will grind flush with the dremel after they are firmly attached. 

Once all the epoxy sets up, I'll layout the visor, and post pics of that for more feedback.

Before I epoxy all the inner seams -- does everything look okayish with the cheeks? (haven't done anything to them from previous pics)

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Gin

New Progress pics -- apoxie sculpt is filling gaps and curing for 24 hours minimum.

Honesty time:  Do I stand a reasonable chance of refining this bucket into something approvable, or like the Death Stick Dealer in Episode 2... do I need to go home and rethink my life?

Pics now:

Thanks again!

Skekkesh

It's saveable. You have alot of brim there so you will have to widen the dome. Try some bucket scraps to build it out.

Bucket scraps have a built in curve to make it easier. Be sure to scuff everything up before you glue.

W.I.P.s

Skekkesh

The brim part is fine. It will give you a good line to widen the dome. I will try to load a pic tomorrow to give you a better idea of what I mean.

W.I.P.s

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGUNGIGATOR
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Building up the dome is your best bet Vod. I'd say it's still salvageable just requires a little more work this way. But you're giving yourself room for improvement!
K.O.M.S. # 037
E.R.A. #033
Dog lobster supporter #38
BoBB#002
MABEL #062
MMCC #1120
Kilted Mando Brigade Member #24
Legacy W.I.P.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80766.0
Pre Vizsla Phase II Helmet W.I.P.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79261.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!